GBC Circuit (3 Rounds, Rest 90 Seconds)

1. Flat Bench x 12 @ 195lbs; 1010

2. Single Leg Squat x 12* @ 70lbs; 2020

3. Decline Aussie Pullups x 12; 3030

4. Single Leg Deadlift x 12* @ 70lbs; 2020

5. Delt Fly x 12 @ 70lbs; 1010

6. Hamstring Curl x 12 @ 35lbs; 3030

Bonus Set: Bicep Curl Trio on 15lb Band x 150

This was a fun set, and went by quickly. I really need that lately to keep intensity and focus up. Seems like the longer I stay in the gym, the less interested I am in training day by day. Anyhow, I got on here later than usual, so I can't spend much time posting. Had kind of a shitty day work-wise. Am slowly realizing how unhappy I am professionally speaking. I'm in a very frustrating spot in my career, and my boss doesn't really make it any easier. Anyway, I don't want to whine, just had to get that out. Considering breaking out the Insanity DVDs again and doing them maybe once or twice per week; combined with strength training, of course. I'd like to burn off some of the weight that's seemed to creep up on me over the last year or so. Ok that's it for me today... Back tomorrow with something new.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Increasing your intensity is a step in direction Chris, the greater the intensity, the greater the muscle growth stimulation:)

Good luck with work, last boss that was cheeky with me got asked out for a "fair dig" lol.

Ahahahaa! Of course she did lol. Like I said, I found increasing intensity made the workout more fun, and went by much faster. Less time lugging around in the gym, and more time doing other stuff.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

HIIT GBC: UpperBody + HIIT Circuit (3 Rounds, Rest 90 Seconds)

1. Shoulder PressUps x 12* @ 95lbs; 2020

2. Squat Jumps x 15

3. Incline Row x 12 @ 70lbs; 4040

4. Hurdle Jumps x 12

5. DB Snatch x 12* @ 35lbs

6. High Knees x 75

Bonus Set: Standing Skullcrushers x 100 on 10lb Band

Fun session tonight. Really loved putting up the heavier numbers on the shoulder press. Fast pace with the HIIT stuff really kicked my ass. Felt good about this session. Trying to pay more attention to the squeeze and flex of the muscles as opposed to just throwing the weights up like an animal. This really got my heart rate up as well. Need some good sleep tonight, as I stayed up well past my bedtime last night ( 1am! ) Going to do mostly legs tomorrow as my chest and arms are pretty much toast from yesterday. Speaking of, the added set at the end with the band yesterday left my biceps totally screaming all day today. Can't imagine the one from today will be any different.

Thursday, April 16, 2015:

GBC Circuit + HIIT (3 Rounds, Rest 90 Seconds)

1. Deadlift x 12 @ 190lbs

2. Pushup Jacks x 20

3. Reverse Lunge x 12* @ 70lbs

4. Renegade Row x 12* @ 25lbs

5. Hamstring Bridge x 12* @ 35lbs

6. Calf Raise x 20 @ 70lbs

Bonus Round: 100 Front Raise w/ 10lb band.

Solid training today. Really happy to put up that deadlift number. Stoked to see my strength improving. I love the intensity that circuit training inspires. Plus, finishing the training with the band work is great because it really allows me to focus on a single muscle group and get it to burn as much as possible. Speaking of, my biceps and triceps are still screaming from this week's work. Changed up my diet a bit and put down the beans. Switched to some Beyond Meat Beefy Crumbles, which offer about 20g protein per serving (just put down 3 servings at dinner). I know I'm supposed to avoid the faux meats, but I really want to lean out so I'm increasing protein, and consequently decreasing some carbs by setting the beans aside for a bit. Plus, I ate this way today for lunch and noticed I was far less . . . gassy. Anyhow, taking tomorrow off and then back in action on Saturday.

Saturday, April 18, 2015:

GBCircuit (2 Rounds, Rest 90 Seconds)

1. Chest Pressups x 15 @ 50lbs

2. Front Squat x 15 @ 120lbs

3. Row x 15 @ 140lbs

4. Walking Lunge x 15* @ 70lbs

5. Neutral Grip Pullups x 15

6. Single Leg Deadlift x 15* @ 70lbs

Down and dirty in under 30. I have a ton of stuff to do around the house today since I lost most of that kind of time last night due to a work party. Plus, I had a couple beers last night and didn't sleep very well as a result. So, I was a bit tired today, but managed to at least get this in. I think it was adequate considering the circumstances. Anyhow, not going to waste any more time in front of this stupid computer since the sun it out. Have a good weekend!

Tuesday, April 22, 2015:

GBCircuit (3 Rounds, Rest 90 Seconds)

1. Incline Bench x 12 @ 180lbs

2. Squat & Press x 12 @ 70lbs

3. Delt Fly x 15 @ 70lbs

4. Single Leg StepUp x 12* @ 70lbs

5. Tricep Extension x 12* @ 25lbs

6. Hamstring Curls x 12 @ 35lbs

Bonus Round: Bicep Curl Trio x 100 @ 15lb Band

I love the bonus round, especially on bicep curls where I can really pump the fuck out of my arms. It's a great finisher, and I love to constant resistance of the band over simple weights. The squat/press-ups were challenging, and require a lot of breath focus. Found myself winded after the first set. Changed up my diet a bit and exchanged beans for other protein sources. I found myself really bloated and gassy when eating too many beans. I feel like if I eat the same thing for an extended period of time I develop sort of an allergic reaction. So, I am incorporating some non-whole food proteins like tofu and Beyond Meat crumbles. Not really a fan of tempeh, though I know it's a better choice than tofu. Don't worry, it won't last forever, and I'm still getting a ton of other good stuff. I'll just eat this until I'm sick of it, and then probably switch to a raw diet for June. Anyhow, today was a good session, and I had a bit of fun. Back tomorrow with some HIIT cardio and lower body focus.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015:

HIIT Cardio Day (2 Rounds, Rest 60 Seconds)

1. Stair Climb x 3 @ 70lbs (12 Flights Total)

2. Football Drills x 5

3. Pushup Jacks x 20

4. Long Jumps x 16

5. High Knees x 60

6. DB Swing x 12 @ 35lbs

Only two rounds today, and no bonus round because after Round 2 I felt just tired and hungry. Didn't sleep much last night, so I'm guessing that's the cause for the low energy. Nevertheless, I did manage a good sweat from this session, even if a little short. Was going to do lateral raise for the bonus round today, so I guess I'll hit up some lats tomorrow. Giving some more thought to incorporating calisthenics into my training, as opposed to just weights. Perhaps I could do 2 weight days, 1 cardio, and 1 calisthenics day. Anyhow, like I said, I'm freakin starving. Time for dinner.

Thursday, April 23, 2015:

Circuit (3 Rounds, Rest 90 Seconds)

1. Deadlift x 12 x 190lbs

2. Incline Shoulder Press x 15 @ 70lbs

3. Reverse Lunge x 12* @ 70lbs

4. Pullups x 15

5. Hamstring Bridge x 12* @ 35lbs

6. Hammer Curls x 12* @ 35lbs*

Bonus Round: Tricep Extension x 100 @ 15lb band

Killer training today. Arms are nice and shaky, and having a hard time typing this out. Gave myself a nice two count pause after every 3rd deadlift rep. Wanted to work in the traps as well as everything else. Enjoyed doing the shoulder press on an incline. Good to work in a bit of chest as well as shoulders. Pullups were tough as hell, but do they ever get easy? Hammer curls were tough also, and I won't lie I may have given myself some assistance there. The tricep extensions I did a bit differently today. Instead of having my hands by my hears on the finishing movement, my palms were clasped together, and I pressed up over my head, as if I were congratulating myself. Man... I'm pooped.

Off til Saturday. Time to eat!

Saturday, April 25, 2015:

1. Close Grip Bench Press x 12 @ 135lbs

2. Front Squat x 12 @ 120lbs

3. Front Raise x 12 @ 35lbs

4. Side Lunge x 12* @ 70lbs

5. Renegade Row x 12* @ 25lbs*

Bonus Round: 3 Way Curls x 100 @ 15lb Band

Woke up really sore from Thursday's deadlifts. So, I tried to take it easy on the lower back today, and hamstrings (though the side lunges definitely work those along with the glutes). Found the bench nice to work in today; haven't done that in quite a while. Not going to lie though I was winded after the front squats. That really set the tone for the rest of the circuit, and I was dreading the renegade rows coming up. My mind was telling me to cut out after just two rounds, but I wanted to see it through, so I gave myself some extra rest before the third round. Still love working with the bands. The constant resistance really allows for a nice pump. It's not even about how much weight you can put up with those, obviously, but more about focusing on the squeeze and maintaining constant tension.

Bought a boatload of berries last night and fell into a snack spiral. Makes me really want to do a raw month sometime during the summer. I did start incorporating more tofu/seitan/tvp into my diet, and noticed an instant decrease in bloat as well as more energy. Just like training style, I think it's important to change up your diet every now and then unless you are constantly consuming a wide variety of foods.

Now I'm pooped but I have a bunch of housework to do today so I'd better get cracking before I cave and take a nap. Have a great weekend!

Tuesday, April 28, 2015:

1. Incline Chest Fly x 15 @ 70lbs

2. Single Leg Squat x 12* @ 70lbs

3. Single Arm Row x 12* @ 95lbs

4. Reverse Lunge x 12* @ 70lbs

5. Shoulder PressUps x 12* @ 95lbs

6. Side Squat x 12* @ 95lbs

Bonus Round - Tricep Extension x 100 @ 15lb band

Tried the Vega Pre-W/O drink today once more, and, after getting over the godawful taste I felt a little kick of energy just before hitting the weights. It's nice, honestly, and I found supportive. However, I did find myself hungry about mid-point but I was able to focus my mind over my physical feeling. Proud of the numbers for my rows and shoulder press-ups. I remember when I could barely pull 40lb dbs up to my chest just a couple years ago. The side squat is a fun exercise, and really gets the heart racing. It's more of a finisher though, and obviously no substitute for actual squats. That being said, I need to get on getting a squat pad and mirror so I can go back to traditional squats. In all though, I'm amazed at how much I've managed in the past year, especially after acquiring all of these weights and such for $250.00. Last thing: Man were my arms throbbing after the bonus round. I'm sure I'll feel that tomorrow.

Speaking of, going to do some cardio HIIT tomorrow and give lifting a short break until Thursday.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015:

Day of Rest

Was up very early in the morning with my pup who was having seizures because of the shifting weather. Couldn't really get back to sleep from 1am on, got up at 6:30, had a very busy day. So, I needed to take today off. Sucks because now I'm just bored

Back in action tomorrow.

Thursday, April 30, 2015:

Circuit (2 Rounds, Rest 2 Minutes)

1. ChinUps x 12

2. Front StepUps x 12* @ 70lbs

3. Front Raise x 12 @ 35lbs

4. Side Lunge x 12* @ 90lbs

5. Curls x 12 @ 75lbs

6. Single Leg Deadlift x 12* @ 75lbs

Up all night last night again and running on fumes today. But I still felt I should at least get some kind of movement in; guilt, I suppose. Even took a Vega Pre-W/O but it didn't give me much of a boost. I felt just kind of empty throughout. Empty and hungry. Thinking about hitting it hard on Saturday to make up for lost time, but seems it would be a waste if I don't make up for the lost sleep over the next couple nights. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I've noticed a significant drop in activity on the forum here. Another member has even informed me of his departure due to the slow traffic. I still see people reading my posts, which is really cool and I find flattering. So, if you're reading, thanks for reading. Why don't you drop a note or comment if you have the time. Better yet, why not start a training journal for yourself so I can read along and comment (if you don't mind, of course). It would be fun to have some more interaction on here.

See you Saturday! (possibly)

TRX DEATH MARCH

(3 Rounds, Rest 2 Minutes)

1. Chest Press x 20

2. Pistol Squat x 12*

3. Rows x 15

4. Hamstring Curls x 15

5. TRX "T's" (like a Delt Fly) x 12

6. Bulgarian Split Squat x 12*

7. Curls x 12

8. Tricep Extension x 15

Fun change up today. Haven't messed around with the Straps in a LONG time, and I just didn't feel like unracking some weights today. Always good to change things up. Planned on only doing two rounds because I slept poorly again last night, but when I got through round 2 in under 15 minutes, I felt like I was cheating myself. It's a beautiful day outside, and I'm not going to waste a minute more on this computer. GET OUTSIDE DAMMIT!!!

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Circuit (3 Rounds, Rest 2 Minutes)

1. Incline Bench x 12 @ 180lbs

2. Front Squat x 15 @ 110lbs

3. Aussie Pullups x 20

4. Reverse Lunge x 12* @ 70lbs

5. Lo-Hi Woodchopper x 12* @ 35lbs

Fun training today even though I was really tired and hungry throughout. Posting this next morning because I got distracted last night and it just slipped my mind. Still love circuit training. It's really great for buiding strength, as well as pumping cardio. Anyhow, I'm at work now so I don't have much time to post much else. Have a great day all.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Cardio Strength Circuit (3 Rounds, Rest 2 Minutes)

1. Pushup Jacks x 25

2. Squat Jumps x 20

3. Barrel Toss x 15 @ 15lb Band

4. Sprint Lunges x 6

5. Curl & Press x 12 @ 50lbs

6. Reverse Lunge Kick x 15*

Bonus Round - Curls x 75 @ 15lb Band

Great circuit tonight. Really kicked my ass with cardio. Could feel my heart ripping from its socket, and even my gumline pulsing. Nice to get my heart pumping though. Hopefully I will see some fat loss in the near future. Otherwise, today was pretty decent. Nothing real to complain about. Ready for a fun weekend though. Looking to do some deadlifts tomorrow, though I know I've been neglecting my heavy squats. It's hard to get those in when working in circuit form. Perhaps I should add one day of straight sets to make sure I hit everything equally. Oh well, I'm excited to try for 200lbs tomorrow on deadlifts!

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Circuit (2 Rounds, Rest 3 Minutes)

1. Decline/Incline Chest Fly x 15 @ 70lbs

2. Deadlift x 10 @ 200lbs

3. Pistol Grip Pullups x 12

4. Hamstring Bridge x 12* @ 35lbs

5. Delt Fly x 15 @ 70lbs

6. Hip Flexor Raise x 12* @ 35lbs

Well I wanted to get three rounds in today but I just kind of felt like crap throughout the training. I had a headache all day, and as I was lifting I had some pretty significant nausea. I think doing the decline chest fly brings that out since I'm on my back looking up, and my eyes tend to gaze all over the place. That sucks. Well, I guess I'll try to get one in tomorrow. Though I think I'll do something a little different. Either way, was real happy to put up 200lbs for 10 on deadlift. PR!

That's all for tonight.

Monday May 11, 2015

Bodyweight Circuit

1. Push-up Trio - 3 x 33 + 1

2. Front StepUp & Lift - 3 x 12*

3. Tricep Dips - 3 x 20

4. Lateral StepUp - 2 x 12*

5. Hamstring Bridge - 3 x 12*

Vacation training this morning. I'm amazed I got this in before my meetings today. It just shows how relentless our lifestyle is in Chicago. I woke up at the same time i do there each day, and was able to train, leisurely eat breakfast, shower and shave, don a suit, and after a 5 minute commute, I was to my destination 15 minutes early. So, I'm blown away at how much time I spent commuting and just dealing with the general bullshit of that shitbox town. Anyhow, not going to dwell on that anymore today. The rest of the day will be focused on making positive connections, enjoying my time, and the ease of living here.

Might do more body weight training tomorrow. I'll post up if I do.

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Strength Circuit (3 Rounds, Rest 2 Minutes)

1. Flat Bench x 12 @ 190lbs

2. Single Leg Squat x 12* @ 70lbs

3. DB Snatch x 12* @ 35lbs

4. Single Leg Deadlift x 12* @ 70lbs

5. Curl & Press x 12 @ 50lbs

6. Calf Raise x 25 @ 70lbs

Awesome to be back and on my regular training schedule. I think I needed a break from hitting it hard, and being strict on diet. I don't think I did too much damage, so maybe it can qualify as a nice re-feeding. That being said, allowing yourself cookies and other sweets, and beer, and pizza, and fries, for a few days can really mess with your mind and make it hard to get back on track. I'm thinking of getting on a contest regimen; maybe something offered by Derek Tresize since I recently read through his competition planning book. Anyone have experience working with him or his plans?

Anyhow, I think it would be fun to dedicate some serious time and try to get some solid results.

Back Saturday with more.

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Strength Circuit

1. Incline Fly x 15 @ 70lbs

2. Piledriver Squat x 12 @ 215lbs

3. ChinUp x 12

4. Hamstring Curl x 20 @ 35lbs

5. Decline Row x 15 @ 70lbs

6. Reverse Lunge x 12* @ 70lbs

Bonus Round: Bicep Curl Trio x 100 @ 15lb band.

Excellent training today. Really felt this work my cardio system in addition to the pump. I simply need more weights though. I'm somewhat limited in what I can do now that I've started lifting heavier. The squats alone took up most of my plates. I guess that's a good problem to have. Trying a new protein powder I found at Whole Foods last night: the Whole Foods' brand Fit Protein. It's plant based, obviously, and actually pretty good. It's sweetened with Stevia, but unlike Vega, the sweetener is not overpowering. It mixes ok but does have some separation issues if left sitting for a couple minutes. Otherwise, the flavor is pretty mild, which is kind of a bummer, and the texture a tad chalky. Keep in mind I hardly ever drink protein shakes, so I'm probably not the best judge. Anyhow, there's yard work to be done since it's apparently not going to rain.

Have a great weekend!

Tuesday, May 19, 2015:

Strength Circuit - 3 Rounds, Rest 2 Minutes

1. Pushup Trio x 50 (Incline, Staggered, Diamond)

2. Angle Squat x 12* @ 95lbs

3. Single Arm Row x 12* @ 95lbs

4. Single Leg StepUp x 12* @ 70lbs

5. Delt Raise x 12 @ 35lbs

6. Single Leg Deadlift x 12* @ 95lbs

Solid training today. Circuits with heavier weights are pretty brutal, and I found myself feeling nauseous during the third round. Took things a little slower to finish up today. All in I was out in 42 minutes. Had a Vega shake afterward, and then a pretty big dinner of tofu, rice, broccoli, and greens. Made up a simple salad dressing with some mustard, this vegan honey made from apples, and some apple cider vinegar. Equal parts I guess. Solid. Don't have much else to say, so I'll take off for now. Going to hit up some cardio tomorrow. Might even pull out an Insanity dvd.

Wednesday, May 19, 2015

HIIT + Strength Circuit

0. Insanity Warmup x 3 (9 Minutes HIIT)

Circuit (3 Rounds, Rest 1 Minute)

1. Curl & Press x 10 @ 70lbs

2. Squat Jump x 15

3. Delt Fly x 15 @ 70lbs

4. Reverse Lunge Kick x 15*

5. Squat/Flip/Press x 12 @ 95lbs

6. Burpees x 15

Great training today! I've been feeling just plain fat lately, and I stepped on the scale last night and found myself at 172lbs

That has to change and quick! So, I'm going to cut down on some carbs, increase protein, and start a cut diet. I think it's time. Ordered some protein powder from TrueNutrition, and a personal sized blender. I'm excited. No more beers, no more bullshit meals for a while, no more cookies or other sweets. If I want something sweet, I'll have a protein shake. At least it's chocolate flavored! Otherwise, today was a tough but welcomed change in training. Going to incorporate more cardio into my workouts. I might even take up jogging outside once the weather warms up just a bit. I could do that on off days. I remember when I was super lean I ran at least two miles every time I trained. Despite people saying that static cardio doesn't help, I think it worked for me. Keep in mind I wasn't doing an hour of that bullshit, but more like 10 minutes at a good clip and usually at an incline. Anyhow, had an awesome tempeh/lentils/broccoli dinner tonight which gave me a whopping 47g of protein.

I'm going to revamp my breakfast too to include a scoop of protein powder, and top it with some fruit sauce that I'll make from boiling down some raspberries or whatever looks good that week. Going to be ripped by the end of summer I swear! Just in time to put on a sweater hahah!

Thursday, May 20, 2015:

Strength + HIIT (2 Rounds, Rest 2 Minutes)

1. Deadlift x 10 @ 195lbs

2. Football Drill + In/Out x 6

3. Pullups x 12

4. Squat Jacks x 20

5. Pushup Jacks x 25

6. Long Jumps x 16

Well I planned to do more today, and could have squeezed in a third round, but I got a late start. Plus, it's beautiful outside, and I think we're about to have a string of rainy days, so I just had to get my dog outside for a few minutes; hence the late start. I blew the timeframe on my pre-w/o so I wasn't as pumped up to do this today. Anyhow, I did break a sweat, and I'm happy to put up that number for deadlift. Someday I'll manage more than just 2 sets

Legs are super tight from this weeks HIIT training. Haven't felt this sore in a while. Rest tomorrow, heavy lifting on Saturday.

Saturday, May 22, 2015:

Lift

1. Flat Bench - 3 x 10 @ 195lbs

2. Lateral Step Up - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs

3. DB Pullover - 3 x 15 @ 50lbs

-

4. Curls - 3 x 12 @ 75lbs

5. Single Arm Press - 3 x 12* @ 95lbs

6. Single Leg Deadlift - 3 x 12* @ 95lbs

Good training today. Lovely day outside as well, though I've kind of kept to myself indoors. Not going to waste any more daylight on this computer. Have a great weekend all!

From Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Strength Circuit - 3 Rounds, Rest 2 Minutes

1. Incline Fly x 15 @ 70lbs

2. Side Lunge x 15* @ 100lbs

3. Single Arm Row x 12* @ 100lbs

4. Angle Squat x 15* @ 100lbs

5. Delt Raise x 12 @ 35lbs

6. Hamstring Curl x 15* @ 35lbs

Got busy last night and forgot to post up my workout. Fucking tired today, so I don't have much energy to make a significant post with lots of insight. Endured a setback work-wise yesterday, which is disrupting our plans to move on with our lives. Sick of that shit. Tired of treading water in a place that costs all of our money just to get by on a day to day basis. I'm ready for the next chapter, with some natural beauty, and a family.

Training later today.