Thursday:

Dynamic Effort Lower Body

Safety Bar Sumo Box Squat + red bands

warmup

9 x 2 x 75 kg (165 lbs)

Conventional Speed Pull + red band

warmup

6 x 1 x 110 kg (242 lbs)

Total exhaustion. Training this hard this often took its toll. So I continued half a day later with:

Bent Leg Good Morning

10 x 20 kg (44 lbs)

10 x 30 kg (66 lbs)

10 x 40 kg (88 lbs)

10 x 60 kg (132 lbs)

5 x 10 x 80 kg (176 lbs)

Short breaks.

Band Leg Curl

warmup

5 x 10 x green band

10 breaths between sets. Rather focused on feeling the muscle than just resistance and volume.

Side Plank

1 minute x bw

50 sec x 10 kg (22 lbs)

Reached muscle failure lol

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday:

GPP

Close Parallel Grip Horizontal Cable Row

warmup

5 x 10 x 60 kg (132 lbs)

10 breaths between sets.

Hanging Leg Raise (Dip Station)

5 x 20

Back Attack

warmup

5 x 10 x 80 kg (176 lbs)

Short breaks.

Russian Leg Curl

2 x 8

INTENSE! Couldn't do a single one without the use of my arms. Still sore from these today.

Saturday:

Dynamic Effort Upper Body

warmup

Speed Bench + chains

warmup

9 x 3 x 60 kg (132 lbs)

Feeling good. A bit better than last time, I believe.

DB Bench

2 x 15 x 20 kg (44 lbs)

= warmup

Decline DB Tricep Rollback

3 x 10 x 20 kg (44 lbs)

Hard but a little bit better than last time I finished these.

Parallel Grip DB Bench

15 (?) x 20 kg (44 lbs), 10 x 10 kg (22 lbs)

As a dropset after the rollbacks.

Chest Supported Row

warmup

dropset 5 x 80 kg (176 lbs) PB, 5 x 60 kg (132 lbs), 6 x 40 kg (88 lbs), 10 x 20 kg (44 lbs)

+ some posing

Seated Chain Laterals + Seated Chain Front Raise + Chain Rear Delts

2 x 10 x 1 chain per side + 2 x 10 x 1 chain per side + 2 x 15 x 1 chain per side

Seated DB Power Clean

dropset 10 x 14 kg (31 lbs), 8 x 10 kg (22 lbs), 8 x 6 kg (13 lbs)

Time: 50 minutes or less

Last max out session before the comp to give me an idea of where I am at.

Max Effort Lower Body

Sumo Block Pull (7 cm)

warmup

1 x 190 kg (419 lbs) easy

1 x 200 kg (441 lbs) heavy!

1 x 220 kg (485 lbs) okay

1 x 235 kg (518 lbs) PB

1 x 242,5 kg (535 lbs) EASY! PB

250 kg (551 lbs) fail. close one. didn't move but almost and 1 cm off the floor is a good lift for me, usually.

Belt on

1 x 250 kg (551 lbs) PB solid

With some to spare! Thinking 250 (551) off the floor on saturday actually possible.

Then a LONG break because I was quite exhausted.

Box Squat (medium stance and belt)

warmup

1 x 130 kg (286 lbs)

1 x 150 kg (331 lbs)

1 x 160 kg (353 lbs) PB

1 x 170 kg (375 lbs) PB

This is more than my free squat PB, so I am expecting to squat A LOT in competition. 190-200 (419-441) may be possible.

So I may open on 170/100/220 (375/220/485) or more. 200/115/250 (441/253/551) would be awesome and is possible. Let us see what I can do.

If I am able to pull that off I am quite sure to be the best powerlifter of my category in the country. That is something I want quite bad. Can't wait!

Thanks MF!

Videos will be made, of course. Almost as important as making the lifts

Monday training was the worst session maybe even for half a year. Main movement (DB bench) went okay-ish but worse than I wanted it to be and after that I just didn't want to go on. Did some alibi pumping and then went home.

Just some finishing touches yesterday:

GPP

Wide Parallel Grip Lat Pulldown

warmup

10 x 60 kg (132 lbs)

3 x 10 x 70 kg (154 lbs)

2 x 10 x 60 kg (132 lbs)

Way better than last time. Sometimes less weight is better, if you wanna feel the movement.

Back Attack

warmup

3 x 10 x 80 kg (176 lbs)

French Press

3 x 10 x 40 kg (88 lbs)

Farmer's Walk

?m with turn x 80 kg (176 lbs) per hand

Was challenged by someone to do them, so I had to. Not heavy at all.

Video: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=493458334085567&set=vb.100002642138067&type=2&theater

GPP

Band Pull Apart

10 x red band

4 x 10 x blue band

30 x blue band

Diamond Push Up

10 x 10

GHR + Sit Up in GHR Bench

2 x 30 x bw + 2 x 30 x bw

Now all that's left to do is stretching (yuck) and dehydration (yuck).

Openers for the comp should be 170/100/235. Can't wait!

Just spent 8 hours not making this video -.-

Practically edited it once in 6 hours, then again in 2 hours and both times couldn't finish because Movie Maker wouldn't save the damn thing. So here you go:

Comp Report

Weighing 80 kg (176 lbs) in training I actually managed to weigh 73,2 kg in the morning of the comp (officially weighing in at 73,50 kg/162 lbs). This was a painful process involving cramps, muscle and joint ache and very minor hallucination. After about 5-6 hours of sleep the meet started almost 2 hours late (though this was in my advantage, I guess).

Squat

Less time than anticipated, weight feeling heavy and some people (especially some very annoying woman) telling me I wasn't going deep enough. So I reduced my opener by 20 kg (44 lbs). As you will see in the videos, my squats were totally atg in the end, which probably cost me the last squat and thus a lot more.

1st attempt: 150 kg (331 lbs) - good lift

2nd attempt: 165 kg (364 lbs) - good lift

3rd attempt: 180 kg (397 lbs) - no lift

Ended up tilting forward on squat number 2 and 3. I thought it was a concentration thing (had to burp while trying to unrack on the 3rd attempt, which totally blew me off) but may just have been too much depth. After the first squat that lady actually had the nerve to tell me the judges made me a gift with that lift and it shouldn't have been good. Are you serious?

Bench Press

Even less time to warm up. Many people didn't get all their warmups, including me. Skipped 90 kg and did 95 kg (209 lbs) just a minute before my opener.

1st attempt: 100 kg (220 lbs) - good lift

2nd attempt: 105 kg (231 lbs) - good lift

3rd attempt: 110 kg (242 lbs) - no lift

Just as expected but in that, surprising. After that squatting disaster I didn't think this would happen. On the last attempt the head judge had me wait 3 seconds for the bench signal and 2 seconds for the press signal, so after 6 seconds of holding my breath there was just no way to press that thing.

Deadlift

15 minutes to warm up. This is getting better and better. Got 4 warmup lifts in while trying to find a place to take a shit (the restroom was taken for drug testing . . . ). Wasn't able to lift 220 kg (485 lbs) in the warmup room, so I reduced my opener to 210 kg (463 lbs).

1st attempt: 210 kg (463 lbs) - good lift

2nd attempt: 220 kg (485 lbs) - no lift

3rd attempt: 245 kg (540 lbs) - no lift

Lost balance on the 2nd. Still got it up but had a downward movement in there, so no lift. It was easy, so I decided to go for broke and attempt to take the lead, the b-level qualification total and the deadlift record all at once. Plates just moved a cm from the floor but no further. Damn! Now the record is at 220 (485) held by someone else, which I could lift easily anytime. Too bad I won't ever have a chance to break it.

Result:

3rd place of 4, not a single PB, lifted less than I ever thought possible and far less than I could have and didn't even get the deadlift record. Should have just stuck to my original openers and then gone for either 175/105/235 or 170/105/240, which I could have gotten but no, I had to try the 180 squat and ended up losing it all. I don't mind the 1st place (there will be dozens of RAW Cups to come) or the qualification total (wouldn't be able to go to next year's worlds anyway) but I do mind the record(s). My plan is to move up in weight now, so I wouldn't compete in that weight class again. Maybe I'll take part in the equipped nationals shortly after the RAW Cup next year and diet down, just to get those records. We'll see.

Anyway, I know I was the strongest on that day, I just fucked up here and there and this is what I got for it. Now I got the GRAWA nationals coming up in two weeks to prove that this ain't just empty trash talk but the truth.

Just a quick few lines as I am off to bed, 10.35pm here in NZ.

I know it's hard right now but try not to let this temporary setback get you down. You are better than what this current showing and result depicts. I think every PL'er at some point has had a meet that hasn't gone the way they had envisioned ~ I made it to the Raw Nationals in 2011 and at what I felt was my strongest ever I bombed out on squats. I didin't even get to bench or deadlift ?! Devastated was an understatement, but as time passed I was able to look at where I went wrong and fix it so it never happened again. I have placed 1st at every meet since

Head up, take a little time off, reset yourself and channel the disappointment/anger/frustration or whatever it is that you're feeling to make an undeniable statement at your next showing. I know what you're capable of... and YOU certainly know what you have in you. Don't let this one meet affect you, let alone define you. Instead you can choose to learn and grow from it.

Look forward to seeing where you take it from here. All the best MF

Thanks MF, just the right thing to do!

Actually now I am quite okay since I found a place to get that record! At the end of november the German deadlift nationals will take place somewhere. Will probably have the same opponents. Plan is to beat RAW what they do in their thick armour and get the deadlift only deadlift record (210/463 or more, easy!), get some good PB and then maybe get the equipped deadlift record as well, if I am stronger by then (260/573 lbs). Also GRAWA RAW nationals, some strongman cup and one last powerlifting meet (Bembel-Man, which is the biggest powerlifting party in the country) to come. So quite some occasions to show what I can do.

Sample mostly bs training of the last 2 days. Will try to get 4 good sessions and some gpp now before the next comp.

Close Stance Squat

warmup

5 x 120 kg

Felt heavy, cramping up, that was it. Free squats were not made for training.

Sumo Deadlift + belt

warmup

1 x 190 kg

1 x 210 kg heavy

0 x 235 kg

Visiting training partner hit so many PBs, I wanted one too. For some reason couldn't do it. Maybe still weakened from the comp? Or just weaker than 2 weeks ago?

Band Mornings

warmup

3 x 20 x black band

Or so.

GHR

Just one all out set.

Illegal Grip Bench

warmup

10 x 90 kg

7 x 95 kg

Meh. Not enough.

Band Tricep Extensions

warmup

and then lots

Did so many, don't really remember any numbers. 5 guys doing band extensions standing around my cage was a funny sight.

Plate Front Raise

warmup

12 x 25 kg

10 x 25 kg

15 x 25 kg

Some with cheat.

Pull-Up-Athon

258 in 1 hour

Event on the German forums. In other words: 64 x 4 reps + a double. I think I may have won.

Decided this morning that I should get stronger. My bench is a disgrace

For the next 2 months you'll mainly read about bodybuilding stuff here. Decided to give my body a little break and grow a bit as I will move up to 83 kg soon, anyway.

There may be one more chance to get the deadlift record, though. Single lift deadlift record for juniors in the BVDK (IPF affiliate) is 210, seniors record is 220. Got the deadlift nationals coming up in 6 weeks, so if they'll count my RAW lifting in an equipped comp for the RAW records I should be able to get those. Redemption!

Will not log until after comp. No free time this week. Training went very bad (barely happened). I let life happen when I shouldn't have.

Think I'll perform poorly at the comp but maybe not, we'll see. Will not expect anything and just go there and do it. Then use it as a starting point to build myself back up and work towards my goals of the year until the last comp of the year (december 21st). Wish me luck (and discipline) for that!

So when is the next comp?

It was last weekend

Next one will be in november, deadlift nationals and then a strongman beginners comp for fun. Last comp this year will be the Bembel-Man. (a RAW comp in which anyone can participate with only 2 weight categories and you win a certain kind of jug (= Bembel, they make those in Hesse, which is where the comp takes place. Usually the strongest RAW German who ever lived and the relative strongest multi-ply German who ever lived show up.)

Weighing in friday at 74,8 kg (just below 165 lbs). First comp on saturday:

Bench

1st attempt: 105 kg (231 lbs)

Hard but up. Made the touch a little low.

2nd attempt: 110 kg (242 lbs)

Equal PB. A little bit left in there. May have touched a tiny bit too low again.

3. Versuch: 112,5 kg (248 lbs)

Definitely touching to high on the chest. Barely moved it back up.

Result: 110 kg (242 lbs). Comp PB. Not an actual PB but okay, better than expected. Got 2nd, not that this really matters.

The more important stuff took place on sunday:

Squat

1st attempt: 150 kg (331 lbs)

Just to be safe. Easy.

2nd attempt: 170 kg (375 lbs)

PB! And still fairly easy.

3rd attempt: 180 kg (397 lbs)

Boom, PB! I say, there was some left in the tank. Felt like I was all leaning over, twisting and almost breaking in half but looks good on the video.

Result: 180 kg (397 lbs), PB by 15 kg (33 lbs), won my weight class (no trick to it, I was alone) and got second of all juniors, I think. Promising for the deadlift.

Deadlift

1st attempt: 227,5 kg (502 lbs)

Felt heavy but looked easy. Was very nervous to bomb out before this. Comp-PB, national record and inofficial world record (IRP).

2. Versuch: 235 kg (518 lbs)

One of the heaviest pulls of my life. Had to fight all the way through. Locked it out, got a down signal but felt my left thumb slip (had all the important gripping fingers on the smooth part of the bar, which was extra smooth in this case). So I didn't hear the signal and had to drop it. Would have equalled the national record for the open age category. Will count it for me though.

3rd attempt: 235 kg (518 lbs)

Tried mixed grip but had nothing left in me.

Result: 227,5 kg (502 lbs). No official PB but a comp PB, record, first place and my very first overall win ever after 5 years of competing. Best junior deadlifter of the day.

Overall feeling good about the comp. Did less than I hoped for 3 weeks ago but more than I feared to lift a week ago and 40 kilos (88 lbs) better than last comp (counting the 235 deadlift). 200 (441) squat and 250 (551) deadlift seem possible up until Bembel-Man (comp at the end of december).

Edited by Mellon

First training after comp:

Max Effort Upper Body

Illegal Grip Bench

warmup

6 x 95 kg (209 lbs)

6 x 100 kg (220 lbs)

4 x 105 kg (242 lbs)

Ass up on the entire last set. A problem I only seem to have with my very high bench.

Standing Barbell Press

warmup

10 x 60 kg (132 lbs)

5 x 70 kg (154 lbs)

Not all out.

Weighted Diamond Push Up

10 x 20 kg (44 lbs)

Very Wide Grip Pull Up

Band Pull Apart

10 x red band

50 x blue band

Training partner was in a hurry, so we just did one hard set on every movement in the end.

Video will follow.

Did some GPP but can't recall what it was.

Yesterday:

Dynamic Effort Lower Body

Front Box Squat + red bands

warmup

9 x 2 x 60 kg (132 lbs)

Trying something different.

Deficit Future Method Sumo Speed Pull

warmup

6 x 1 x 160 kg (353 lbs)

Brutal lift.

Wanted to get some food in before the next lecture, so pushed the rest back a few hours.

Stiff Leg Deficit Deadlift

warmup

8 x 130 kg (287 lbs)

5 x 150 kg (331 lbs) PB

Maybe not the best exercise to get a pump^^

Snatch Grip Deficit Deadlift

1 x 150 kg (331 lbs) PB

3 x 150 kg (331 lbs) with straps PB

Wasn't too sober, so I thought it a good idea to max out on something stupid instead of doing BB stuff. Will do that stuff later though.

My back is actually feeling quite fine despite the roundy back exercises. Just my hips are fucked but that is quite normal these days

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a lot of dating up to do, so I will just copy this from veganfitness (sorry, no lbs for now)

DE Upper

Future Method Bench

warmup

9 x 3 x 75 kg

3 x 80 kg

3 x 90 kg

3 x 100 kg

75 may have been too light. Short breaks, maybe even just 30 sec.

One Arm Plate Front Raise + Bent Over Plate Rear Delts + Seated DB Shoulder Press

3 x 10 x 10 kg per hand + 3 x 10 x 10 kg per hand + 3 x 10 x 22,5 kg per hand

Almost no breaks.

This killed me, I was completely disoriented. So I did the rest on the following day.

Tricep warmup, then

DB Tate Press

? x 10 x 17,5 kg

? x 17,5 kg

Miscounted, dunno the numbers. Could have been a PB though.

BW Skullcrusher + BW Narrow Grip Bench

2 x 10 + 2 x 10

10 + 15

Can't really find a better name for these. You can see them at 6:00 in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AcCxdOLH7U

Kroc Row

30 x 45 kg

Disgusting. Almost completely strict. Finally hit both lats equally (never happened ever before).

Barbell Shrug

10 x 60 kg

10 x 80 kg PB

10 x 100 kg PB

10 x 120 kg PB

10 x 140 kg PB

10 x 150 kg PB + 10 x 130 kg + 10 x 110 kg + ? x 60 kg

? x ? x 60 kg

Didn't count in the end. Crazy pump.