Worn out on lifting, doing something else now...

I started lifting when I was 14. My dad was tired of a kid who was 5'9" tall and weighed about 115 lbs.

Now I'm 42, I'm 5' 9" tall and weigh 175 pounds. If it weren't for lifting I'd probably weigh 145 pounds (looking at my two grandpas as models for the future).

I owe a lot to weightlifting over the years (both freeweights, and gasp! machines).

But, I am now finding myself worn out on lifting.

I have taken up running, and though I haven't broken any mile records yet, nor will I, I am beginning to find a peaceful contentment with my new found fitness approach.

I'm still doing press ups (I love that term), and curls (on occassion). But I seem to have lost interest in pushing weights around.

Jon

Jon...I know what you mean. I started lifting 20 years ago. I am 8 pds heavier than my identical twin sister, muscle of course ! It has made a difference in how I look. But I too after 6 years of competing have lost some interest. I started running and fullbody type circuit training two times a week 1-2 sets only (what my twin does to stay in shape) and I am enjoying it. I am doing three 5 K's soon and a 10K this summer.

I thought I would lose muscle making the switch but I have not !

Jon...I know what you mean. I started lifting 20 years ago. I am 8 pds heavier than my identical twin sister, muscle of course ! It has made a difference in how I look. But I too after 6 years of competing have lost some interest. I started running and fullbody type circuit training two times a week 1-2 sets only (what my twin does to stay in shape) and I am enjoying it. I am doing three 5 K's soon and a 10K this summer.

I thought I would lose muscle making the switch but I have not !

That's interesting because I have not lost a lot of muscle either. In fact, since October my weight has gone from 183 to 175. You would expect (I imagine) that cutting out the weight training and doing nothing but running and other "conditioning" exercises would prompt a greater loss of weight. Where I have noticed a difference is in everyday tasks. I don't run out of breath and I have timed my resting heart rate as low as 54 bpm.

I have a co-worker who wants to run the Bay to Breakers in two months. Maybe next year. 7.5, plus an 11.5% grade in the middle of the race don't make me smile. Although I am also looking at some area 5K's and 10 K's. There is an area 1/2 marathon at the end of August, but that might be pushing it also.

Jon

I went through the same thing after my last show.. back in May of last year. I would drag myself to the gym and just be totally unmotivated to lift.

I decided to train for a triathlon instead (a sprint). So I started swimming, running and biking. I scaled back my liftting because I couldn't give it up altogether. I did my first tri in September.

Since then, I had been doing a little bit of everything. I also got into yoga. Now, I am just FINALLY getting my motivation for lifting back. It's been almost a year!!!

I haven't lost much muscle or strength at all, considering...

~ Adrienne