100% Fitness Newb

ValentineWiggin

I've been vegan for 7 years.

I've dealt with food addiction since I was 8- it's resulted in a lot of massive weight gains which have severely-damaged my cardiovascular system.

I had double venous ablation on my legs two years ago, in conjunction with being diagnosed with lipedema, which means I have very fat legs, essentially.

All of my binge periods have been followed by starve/exercise routines which helped me lose a lot of weight very quickly.

Now, though, I find myself 8 months in to a horrible binge period- I gained 40 lbs in three weeks back in May, and another 20 since then.

It wasn't until a few months ago that fiance and I discovered the food addiction model, and that's been instrumental in understanding my life.

(At this point, fiance parcels out food from our locked pantry; I'd like to eventually get into therapy which might help us strategize, but I'm not really capable of that yet, just a couple day-to-day things).

Unfortunately, the physical and emotional toll of my situation as well as executive dysfunction (I'm Autistic) has really taken a toll on our relationship and now I fear the worst- that the end of my relationship is on the horizon.

Someone recommended this forum due both to my veganism and also to my background of binging and dieting which has left me with extremely-poor muscle tone (gain fat, lose muscle, and repeat ad infinitum)- my doctors and all my research tell me that my cardiovascular health would be immeasurably-improved if I built up my muscles.

I've participated in a lot of nutrition-related groups before, but never could find the right fit, between being both vegan and dealing with the food addiction (we try to keep me away from high-glycemic foods/meals generally, so I favor low-carb or keto, so that's a whole 'nother level of complication; grains, flour, sugar, and sweeteners are absolute no-nos).

I have access to a really awesome gym with a crazy number of different machines, I'm just ignorant as to the physiological mechanisms of gaining muscle, essentially- I've ignored such things in the past in favor of losing weight, and have paid the price for it.

So...that's it. I guess this is a bizarre first post- I mainly intend to lurk, but occasionally might work up the nerve to pick someone's brain.

Hi and welcome to the group here.

40 lbs in 3 weeks, that is incredible. Your frame doesn't look very large either. Good to hear that you have made some beneficial discoveries.

I hope you find the site to be informative, I certainly have. And definitely pick some people's brains, people here seem more than willing to share whatever knowledge and experiences they have.

-Dylan