training blog

muu

thinking about lowering my calories... not sure though

i hear people saying you can get cold feet and cut too early when ur gaining weight

http://puu.sh/jceGZ/df2c5c0414.png

thats where i'm at, gained about 10 kilos over the last 4 months, might ease up on the calories or do some cardio or something because i'm not so comfortable being at this bodyfat percentage

idk.. i might ease up on the eating and wait another month or two before i try to lose weight, maybe cut the fat gain in half

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thinking about lowering my calories... not sure though

i hear people saying you can get cold feet and cut too early when ur gaining weight

DONT CUT YET!! seriously man it's the worst thing you can do, if you aren't willing to be a little bit uncomfortable for a little while with a bit of body fat then you'll most likely never increase your muscle mass significantly.. Been there, done that.. For years I would put on weight and get cold feet and basically back track wasting months of hard work.

I think when I started lifting I was roughly 70kgs and weak as fuck, whenever I bulked I would hit 80ish Kg and freak out.. (I'm now about 87/90kg at the mo and probably 16% body fat roughly)

It wasn't until I stopped caring about abs that I actually gained significant strength and size so just push through it and cut when you've reached a strength and size milestone.

Just my advice dude, I know how self conscious you can get when you start to get a small gut,

Are you taking creatine? Because some of the weight is likely just water anyway.. Also I would get bloated eating loads more than I was used to and think it was bodyfat.

yeah, taking creatine.. i might do it for a few more months, start cutting maybe in october, that would mean i was gaining weight for like 7-8 months and i can start losing some weight for when summer starts

in the meantime i think i might ease up atleast a little bit on the food, still enough to gain weight, but i dont wanna gain another 10 kilos by october lol

Starting studying tomorrow.. the uni has a campus gym so i'm thinking of changing my routine a bit

saturday: regular pull day

monday: regular push day

wednesday: regular leg day

and tuesdays and thursdays are at uni, and i have the campus gym, so im thinking

tuesday: 2nd pull day

thursday: 2nd push day

what u guys think?

yeah haha, even then im not strict about it... i do kinda believe in the idea that having a set day each week (or in my case 6 days) isnt ideal... if i do chest every 6 days, that's 6 days recovery which is way more than is needed

last time i was at uni, i started doing a ritual where i would do like just 1 set of pushups each night before bed (i think i started out being able to do like 5, and ended up doing like 40 in a set... weird how only 1 set each night did so much lol..)

but yeah, i'm thinking i might restart that ritual, but instead do like 3 sets of... whatever i can manage along with some core stuff.. especially on days off im starting to feel antsy when i don't stretch my muscles lol

but yeah, i really enjoyed doing that last time i was at uni, i might do the 2 uni gym days a bit easier and do some cardio or something aswell... usually i dont do cardio at the gym unless it's leg day (which i do like 5 min jog lol), so might be like 2 or 3 exercises for the muscle group, and then a 20 min jog or something before classes

anyway i think i will take some more pics sometime tonight... i think i'll look a bit fatter but i cant help but feeling myself and wondering if my muscles were like this before (although i can feel the extra softness too lol)

edit: lol i kinda miss DOMS, i haven't got it for weeks, even though i swear my last leg day was the most intense one yet.. any tips? i want the pain xD (maybe i should eat meat so recovery is more painful )

I suppose it depends entirely on what you're training for in regards to how much rest you need, as a powerlifter I can probably train more often than I do as I'm not fussed about muscle growth, just strength, but in the past I found that when I took a week or two off of training I would start growing... I'm sure others on here have done the same, but.anyway 6 days for a muscle to recover is absolutely fine dude,

Yeah post some pics bud, as I've said before if you're taking creatine then you're holding more water and will feel fatter/softer but it's not likely to be fat just water retention, I came off of it completely as I became so self conscious..l pathetic really haha.

In regards to DOMS, they don't nessecerally mean growth or strength increase so you may not always get em, I tend to get them if I don't sleep enough 7-9 hours, if I have a bad nights sleep after training I almost always have bad DOMS.. Since taking BCAAs I recover way better too..

I would agree with Ross, soreness is not an indicator that growth has been stimulated. There were times ive used super heavy negative only training, with as much as 40% more weight that I can lift normally, the level of DOMS I had was extreme which could last for up to a week or more, but this extreme appoarch did not produce superior results.

In fact I would now argue against the notion ythat we need to cause mirco truma/tears in our muscles for them to recover and grow back bigger and stronger, reason being, one can increase their muscular strength and size using static holds with no micro truma taking place, moreover the human heart can enlarge without any micro truma being caused to it.

For me, the 3 undisputed factors to size and strength increases are high intensity training, progressive intensity and sufficient recovery periods. Nutrition is a secondly factor in the process.

Just my 2 cents:)

Rob

rip hammies xD

heres a new pic http://puu.sh/jh3NP/f3d209e014.jpg

i really think i need to start doing core xD... i want to do some core at home every day

what do u think though, you guys see any changes? pic is a little blurry so ill take another one if needed

thanks man, good to hear it from a 2nd person, hard to see it myself.. keep feeling my chest, shoulders ant stuff, and i feel like there are changes that dont show up in the mirror xD

anyway, at this point, i think it's a permenant lifestyle feature now.. quick gains not important, just want to be consistent and always motivated

anyways, i did push day... chest, tris, shoulders... did some pullups and negatives too

i also tried some hold exercises... did flexed arm hangs, and held some tricep extensions for like 15 seconds... man that really made me feel the burn lol!

i think im gonna have to work some flex-holds into almost everything from now on.. any suggestion on other gimicks like that to try?

Maximally contracted holds are extremely productive (no gimmick , they work best on single joint machines ( though they can be used with certian compound movements as well) ie pec deck, machine lateral raise, machine curls, leg extensions/curls etc. Have your training parnter or ask someone in the gym to help you into the fully contracted position with at least 30-40% more resitance than you cant normally lift through a full range of motion. Ideally, you would have them help you lower the weight when you can no longer sustain the hold.

Theres many other techniques that can be salted into the routine, rest pause training, pre exhaustion, J-Reps etc, but in the last 24 years of my training ive found nothing to be as productive as max contraction training, not only is it a superior method for developing size and strength, its greatly reduces the wear and tear on the joints and connective tissues (that might not be important to you now, but when you get older it will:)

One thing to keep in mind, maximal static contractions are a high stress technique, so you need to ensure and properly regulate your volume and frequency our youll very quickly become over trained.

hope this helps

Rob

My leg exercises went up alot since last week... such a big increase from just one session, but i really did kill it last week

starting to get harder to get as good of a legs workout, and i think in a couple months, i will be maxing out the seated leg press xD

right now i'm doing about 125kg for 7x15, up from about 105 last week, and right now that's about 70-80% of the plates being used

for now i prefer the seated leg press just because i'ts easier to adjust the weights as i need.. but might have to start using the normal leg press simply because i'll run out of plates! lol... might be more practical to do 20-25 reps per set instead

i also feel like there is alot more mass on my legs now than when i started... like noticably when i feel, as compared to arms/chest

Some soreness in late today think its a good sign, tried some new exercises to improve pullups because they haven't been advancing very much... Tried flexed arm hangs, and very slow negative pullups.. Hoping the soreness indicates it hit something previous efforts haven't... Thing I'm going to work these exercises into every workout

is ok,think i'd rather live in canada though lol

leg day today, went up again... last week i did 125 for 7x15, this week i did 145 for 4x15 then 135 for 3x15.. this is for seated leg press

i'm not so comfortable with how fast i'm gaining weight, so i'm gonna try and eat a bit less, slow it down to maybe 1/3rd of what it is now... my method is going to be just eat more leafy greens, more fruit, less oats, and make processed foods more of a minority (already way smaller than the typical western diet i guess but )

• 2 weeks later...

ok lil update, been rather sick with a nasty cold over the last 3 or something days, finally over it i think, i had to postpone one leg day by 1 day, just because i had no energy at all

also, my leg lifts seem to have gone down (irrespective of cold, the one previous to having the cold was down), think it might be due to the fact that i havent taken creatine in a few week, so i'm going to start taking it again.

wish people with a cold would just f'ing stay home lol

• 3 weeks later...

I am thinking i might stick to october to start my cut... will have been a good 5-6 months gaining weight by then i think, and i am so ready to start leaning up a bit

my strategy will be... cycle alot more... cycle to gym, cycle from gym, cycle to train station... etc, and be a bit more reserved with eating.

probably will do it slowly so i can still gain strength... once i'm finished, i think i will just try to stay fairly lean, and not bulk/cut again.