Lose 10lbs and gain muscle!

Hey there!

I'm a newbie to this forum...so hi!

Anyways, I became a vegetarian last year and am now practically a vegan (except I eat the occassional cheese in some foods). I have lost 40lbs in the past year through change in diet and increase in exercise...which is great! I went from 174 to 135...my goal was 125 though...and I am having a hard time reaching it. I want to gain more muscle definition and lose this excess layer of fat over my body.

I was curious if anyone has any suggestions on meal plans (how much to eat, when to eat it, what to eat, etc) that could assist in me getting rid of this last bit of weight...as well as any suggestions as far as targeting certain muscle groups to really take effect quicker.

Any other advice would be great as well!!

Thanks so much!

Hey Jenny, thanks for joining the group!

I will have to get back with you later since I'm just about to go to sleep but I wanted to say Welcome!

All the best and I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions from others too.

Congrats on your great success so far!

San Diego is great!

Hi Jenny Penny.

If you run at least three times a week, for at least twenty minutes a time you'll lose the extra layer. You will probably have to break up the running into two minute segments with a rest period of about a minute if you haven't run before, but you can gradually build up to running twenty minutes at a time.

If you run more than that I would seriously suggest doing some upper body work or you may lose muscle in your arms and chest. I was doing body building at one point, and went from 69 kilograms to 84 (which is what I was after) but when I started running seriously and the weights tapered off I lost a lot of the upper body strength I had built up. Not to worry, I am still fairly sturdy, and my lower half is just as I wanted it, plus I finally have some abs (despite my belly never being flat after having had a baby.) But I'd ask here for good body weight and free weights excercises, and work out your own regime.

Probably the best thing, if you have a busy life style is running, and on non running days weights. It won't have to take up too much of your time, and you'll feel great.

Jenny, can you share what your current program is like?

Those last few pounds (of fat) are the hardest to get rid of. Generally, our bodies are quite comfy with a layer of fat and they will fight to keep it.

Also, try not to define your goals in terms of scale weight... in all honesty, scale weight means nothing and often, people set themselves up for a failure when they choose a weight that isn't at all realistic or feasible. Our bodies are all very different. For example, I am only 5'3" and I weight 140 lbs. I compete at 120 lbs and around 9% body fat, which is not healthy or maintainable.

Weight lifting and diet will be your best friends here. Cardio will help. You need to get plenty of quality carbs, a moderate amount of protein and a small to moderate amount of fat. You should be eating often, about 5-6 times a day. What are you currently eating?

~ Adrienne

Yo Adrienne.

What do you suggest as a good percentage of fat and protein to eat?? I am also 5'3 and I weigh 142 but I assure you that alot of that is fat and not muscle!!

I am averaging about 20% fat, 15% protein, and the rest in quality carbs. I lift 3 times a week and do cardio the other 2. I lift pretty heavy, especially on my legs day.

Well, personally I need to lower my fat intake in order to lose fat. Everyone is different. I also eat a bit more protein. So if at all possible, I would advocate swapping the ratios on protein and fat.

It sounds like you have the rest covered in terms of types of foods and working out.

~ Adrienne

• 8 months later...

While reading along about eating more protien I was curious as to what all of you consume to meet your daily protien amounts.

I'm 5'4, 120 pounds, don't consume any meat (no fish etc) barely eat cheese and don't drink milk (it really messes with my skin) I went to a nutritionist who told me to drink Whey Protein drinks, but basically I felt like I had to completely cut back on eating carbs to fit the protien drinks in to my diet..so what do y'all do?

Any advice will be appreciated

• 9 months later...
Hi Jenny Penny.

If you run at least three times a week, for at least twenty minutes a time you'll lose the extra layer. You will probably have to break up the running into two minute segments with a rest period of about a minute if you haven't run before, but you can gradually build up to running twenty minutes at a time.

If you run more than that I would seriously suggest doing some upper body work or you may lose muscle in your arms and chest. I was doing body building at one point, and went from 69 kilograms to 84 (which is what I was after) but when I started running seriously and the weights tapered off I lost a lot of the upper body strength I had built up. Not to worry, I am still fairly sturdy, and my lower half is just as I wanted it, plus I finally have some abs (despite my belly never being flat after having had a baby.) But I'd ask here for good body weight and free weights excercises, and work out your own regime.

Probably the best thing, if you have a busy life style is running, and on non running days weights. It won't have to take up too much of your time, and you'll feel great.

I agree.. running is definitely a great workout to lose the weight... check out http://www.findyourdetour.com/ for some really great tips on getting the best out of your workout