Using straps to increase grip strength?

Hey all,

I just read this article that is one guy's account of how he was able to actually improve his grip strength by using straps, and claims that increased back strength will directly translate to increased grip strength. This all sounds a little off to me, but I still consider myself pretty new so I'd be interested to hear what other people think. I'm not going to go run out and grab straps or anything (in fact I've seen some great grip strength increases switching from gloves to chalk and I love it so far), but it's something I might consider in the far off future.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/increase-grip-strength/

That's pretty interesting, I haven't seen back and grip strength correlated that way before but it makes sense. I personally like to go double overhand for as long as I can (until the weight is so heavy that my grip won't hold up to it anymore) before using the straps. I don't really like the mixed grip and only use it when I have to (i.e. in a powerlifting meet)

I used wrist straps for almost 15 years, true enough, my grip and forearms did improve none the less. In recent years I've stopped using them though, purely because i like to "feel" the bar / make contact with it, feels more natural if that makes sense.

I do think that if you have small hands or a weak grip they can be beneficial, especially since a lot of gyms have these thicker handled D-Bs or BBs nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...

That is really interesting. I wonder how that works. Personally, I feel a more intense forearm workout when I am doing deadlifts or weighted pull ups, so I certainly think back and forearm development go hand in hand. However I have never been a proponent of using wrist wraps or any other type of gripping equipment (besides chalk occasionally), simply because I assumed this would take the forearm work out of the equation! Maybe I was wrong all along? Has anyone had a noticeable difference in their workouts?