Breakfast Smoothies...

el cirriped

Mine are similar to Rob's in one of his nutrition programs.

Half the blender with non-concentrate OJ.

2 banana's

1 kiwi

7 strawberries

12 blueberries

Then I put in flaxseed and raw wheat germ too, for the nutritional kick, since college kids can't afford vega.

Wow! Mustard greens have never tasted so ... mustardy. Didn't quite expect that, and will have to dilute 1:1 with romaine or something next time ...

5 oz raspberries

juice of 1/4 lemon

2 tb ginger

I guess two cups of mustard greens.

Still, I preferred the dark red raspberry-mustard green concoction to the following somewhat bland dark-purple ones ...

3 oz rehydrated dragonfruit, and the water they soaked in

1 banana

parsley, lemon, ginger. Somewhat bland, preferred it without the parsley and banana, I think. (this digested fine, just kind of ... the flavors seemed to cancel one another out)

5 oz blackberries

half an avocado

maybe two cups of purple-veined kale

lemon

ginger (this digested fine, I just don't think I need the fat of the avocado at this point in the day).

Thanks, I'll have to try some of these. Ginger huh?

My fav is blueberries till I can't see the blender blades then something citrusy preferably mangoes or peaches or pineapple or apricots, one banana and rice milk. Sometimes use coconut milk but I'm just not sure if the sat fat is really good to be eating or not. I've read the positive case for coconut but am not quite convinced.

Hey, el' cirriped, good to see you putting greens in your smoothies, Yay!!

I should have warned you about mustard greens Sooo sorry!

Lemme tell you, I put an entire (and large) head of it in a smoothie once...I was literally on fire. You know how you feel the heat just coming up and you're just waiting for the burn to hit your nose? Oh, it was horrible. It went up to my eyes, they were watering like a river!

Needless to say, that's the first and last time I'll ever smoothie mustards.

Jay, how about using fresh coconut? Yea, it's a pain to cut, but you can chop it and freeze it and add to the smoothie. That's what I do for my dressings.

It's probably not a good idea to eat even whole coconut too much or daily, I don't know; but Dr. Fuhrman says it's okay occasionally. It sure is good and you need less because the flavor isn't diluted like canned milk (less fat for the flavor as well).

Regarding fresh coconut, _raVen_, what's your recommendation on "rendering it for its parts"? I bought one, and was surpised to see it begin to decay a few days later. How dare it?!

I have a feeling I'll be blundering into overwhelming or underwhelming combinations for a while. But what's the worst that can happen?

Lol, yes, it dries out in warm environments too.

By the way, the water of the coconut is super nutritious. It's the perfect natural "gatorade," being very electrolyte balanced. Great before or after a workout

I have used THIS method and THIS is a nice little video.

Once cracked, I render the meat, using a knife to release it from the shell (place knife between the shell and the meat and use pressure, or hit the knife like a chisel to chunk it off). There is still that dark skin on it; so I just use a peeler to get it off. It comes off very easily that way, even moreso if it's frozen.

I chop it into chunks and freeze it so it will last.

It's hard to find organic coconuts And the Thai ones like this: http://www.deliciousorganics.com/images/coconut.jpg are best only if you can get them green like the ones shown in the back; if you get the ones in a store that are already trimmed and look like the ones in front, I've read they may have been dipped in formaldehyde for preservation for shipping. I've only seen the green ones once at an Asian market. I usually just buy the brown hairy ones

Whoah, yesterday's was waaaay too desserty, but I imagine it would be most folks' cup of tea:

20 dark sweet cherries frozen

1 banana

1/2 cup of coconut water

fresh coconut meat, maybe 3 Tbs

Back to my preferred type (with a bite) today:

20 dark sweet cherries

1 banana

juice of 1/4 lemon

3 tbs raw grated ginger

big leaf of kale

4 oz raspberries,

juice of 1/4 lemon

2 tb ginger grated

one banana

mint leaves (4 inch stem w/6 leaves or so)

this revolting smelling/looking concoction will remind most people of pepto bismol, but of course it's way better/more interesting/delicious/nutritious than that. Must restore proper meaning/association of colors and smells!

Mine are similar to Rob's in one of his nutrition programs.

Half the blender with non-concentrate OJ.

2 banana's

1 kiwi

7 strawberries

12 blueberries

Then I put in flaxseed and raw wheat germ too, for the nutritional kick, since college kids can't afford vega.

I really dig this recipe. I sometimes add a small amount of ground hemp seed and oat bran to my smoothies, or ground flaxseed and wheat germ, or any permutation thereof.

Thanks, I'll have to try some of these. Ginger huh?

My fav is blueberries till I can't see the blender blades then something citrusy preferably mangoes or peaches or pineapple or apricots, one banana and rice milk. Sometimes use coconut milk but I'm just not sure if the sat fat is really good to be eating or not. I've read the positive case for coconut but am not quite convinced.

I really dig those combos, too. Coconut milk is safe. Loving the video. Almond milk is cool too.

Safe, safe.

Glass of salsa, anyone?

Two chopped up sweet red peppers

One small zucchini, grated

Handful of mint

Juice of 1/4 lime

Handful of coconut meat

Well, what's the worst that can happen? Nutrition? Interesting how the zucchni completely disappeared (texture, flavor). The watery-pulpiness of the red pepper was dominant. Hints of mint & coconut were nice.

Anyway, time to quit messing around and get methodical!

Glass of salsa, anyone?

Two chopped up sweet red peppers

One small zucchini, grated

Handful of mint

Juice of 1/4 lime

Handful of coconut meat

Well, what's the worst that can happen? Nutrition? Interesting how the zucchni completely disappeared (texture, flavor). The watery-pulpiness of the red pepper was dominant. Hints of mint & coconut were nice.

Anyway, time to quit messing around and get methodical!

coconut "meat"...... no no.. he he..

coconut 'flesh'

thx, beevis. maybe just "coconut", neither "flesh" nor "meat"...

well. now that I really am in dry dock -- or beached, or run aground -- gotta conserve that coconut cuz who knows when I'll nxt have the where-with-all to open another one, eh?

today's:

about 1.5 cups frozen dark sweet cherries

about 1.5 cups, packed, parsley

8 soaked brzil nuts (and the water they soaked in, plus another half-cup or so of water).

the texture-nazis will not care for the texture, but the flavor is awesome.

• 3 weeks later...