getting lean and defined

I feel like today has been a crazy busy day and I know the rest of the week will be that way too. I did weigh myself yesterday and I lost 2 lbs. Pretty proud of myself. I always worry though, because sometimes I may lose 2 lbs. and then gain it back the next week. I am going to work hard to see if I can lose more weight next week instead of gaining it back.

Leg day( killer) Tirsets

1. leg press 4x6 ( 145-160 lbs.)

2. bulgarian split squat 4x12- no weight

3. leg extension- 4x24 ( 95-100 lbs.)

1. straight leg deadlift- 4x6( 60 lb.)

2. glute kickbacks- 4x12 on each leg( 55-70 lbs.)

3. lying hamstring curl- 4x24 ( 40-45 lbs.)

1. step ups- 4x 10 each leg

2. standing calf raises- 4x20( 45 lbs. plate)

Stationary bike- intervals- 15 min.

Food:( crazy day with eating)

B: 4 c. lemon water, 1 c. cooked oatmeal with pumpkin, hemp seeds, pumpkin spice, stevia

S: green smoothie( after workout), 1/2 banana ( before workout)

L: other half of green smoothie and a few pop chips( need to eat more whole foods)

S: don't know yet

D: probably hummus on brown rice tortilla with veggies

S: oatmeal

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do use melatonin. Most of the time it works great for me. Sometimes it doesn't work at all. I don't know if my body adjusts to the dosage.

It has been a crazy past few days. I had my daughter's bridal shower on Saturday and a ton of other things to do. But I did get my workout in on Saturday.

I had a great workout today as well.

Pretty much the same thing I have been doing. I did chest, tricep and abs today. I did the same weights. Although I did up my weight on overhead tricep extension to 40 lbs. I did 2 sets at this weight. So that was good.

My food has been crazy today. I have stayed within my calorie range, but could have eaten better.

B: 1 c. oatmeal with pumpkin, stevia and hemp seeds

S: green smoothie

L: rice crackers-16

D: costa vida salad with corn tortilla, rice, black beans and guacamole

S: bowl of brown rice crips cereal with a little almond milk

S: rice cake with 1 tbsp. almond butter, 1/2 banana

Hopefully I will be able to eat better tomorrow and it won't be such a crazy day

I had a better day of eating today. It was still a crazy day with a lot going on, but I did eat better. Now I just need to sleep better.

Workout today was back and bicep. Those pullups kill me. Hopefully soon I will be able to do pullups without the assisted machine. I did lower the weight to 50 and did 5 reps a couple of times. I felt good about that. Other than that the workout was pretty much the same as before.

Food:

B: 4 c. lemon water, 1 c. oatmeal with pumpkin, hemp seed and stevia

L: leftover red lentil and veggie soup, 1 rice cake

D: homemade "fried" rice with tofu

S: oatmeal with a banana

I don't know what my problem is with sleeping. I didn't really fall asleep until after 3:30 am last night. I think tonight I will try melatonin and some chamomile tea. I have been taking over the counter sleeping pills with melatonin and it really makes me groggy in the morning and really doesn't help my sleep.

My weight hasn't changed, maybe tomorrow I will do some measurements.

leg workout: triset

1. leg press machine- 4x6 ( 145-160 lbs.)

2. bulgarian split squat- 4x12

3. leg extension- 4x24 ( 95-100 lbs.)

1. straight leg deadlift- 4x6 ( 60 lb. e-z bar)

2. glute kickbacks- 4x 12 each leg( 60-75 lbs.)

3. lying hamstring curl- 4x24 ( 40-45 lbs.)

1. step ups with 10 lb. weights - 4x10 each leg

2. seated calf raises- 4x45

stationary bike- 15 min. intervals

Food:

B: 4 c. lemon water, 1 c. cooked oatmeal with pumpkin, stevia and hemp seeds

L: 1 c. " fried rice" with 1/2 c. tofu

D: hummus on brown rice tortilla with veggies, salad

S: oatmeal with 1/2 apple

Last night was the worst night for sleeping. I didn't even fall asleep until after 5 am. I don't know what my problem was. I was wide awake. It drove me crazy. I tried, melatonin and chamomile tea. Finally around 4 am I took some over the counter sleeping pills.

I wonder if some of this insomnia is from the thyroid medication I am taking.

I just watched old Duran Duran videos all night.

My workout today wasn't the best. I just did a cardio. I did 45 min. on the elliptical. I did 20 min. of it HIIT.

My food was pretty good today. I am working at switching my macros around and see how I do.

B: 4 c. lemon water, 1 c. cooked oatmeal with hemp seeds, pumpkin and stevia

L: leftover fried rice with tofu

D: 1/2 c. mashed potatoes with green beans and homemade vegan gravy, spring mix salad with mangos and strawberries and 1/2 c. baked chickpeas

I figured I would post eary in the day today. I don't know what is going on the rest of the day. I really feel like doing nothing. I didn't sleep good again last night. I got to bed after 5 am again. I don't know what is going on. I know it affected my workout today.

Workout:

shoulders/abs/ cardio

1. seated shoulder press machine- 4x8-10, 60-65 lbs.

2. seated lateral raise- 4x8-10, 20-30 lbs.

3. seated shoulder press machine- 4x AMAP- 50-55 lbs.- 8-12 reps

1. front raises- 4x10 - 10 lbs.

2. cable rear delts- 4x10 - 20-25 lbs.

Abs-

side plank cable rows- 4x 12- 40 lbs.

russian twist- 4x12 each side

cable twists- 4x12 - 30 lbs.

kb swings- 4x12

treadmill:

20 min. intervals- 2 min. walking fast, 2 min. walking uphill, 1 min. uphill walking lunges. 5 min.- 2 min. walking fast, 3 min. light jog( first time jogging after hurting my ankle, it felt good.

Food: ( what I am planning)- I got up late, so my food is all messed up today

B: 4c. lemon water, 1 c. cooked oatmeal with pumpkin, hemp seeds, stevia

S: green smoothie, a few rice crackers

L; leftover lentil soup or fried rice with tofu

D:avacado pasta, salad with chickpeas

Kathy,

Have you tried not using anything with an electronic screen after sunset? Your body's natural response to dusk and the lowering of light is the release of melatonin. Using screens (computer, tv, phone, iPads) inhibits that release and screws up your rythm, basically tricking your body into thinking it's still daytime and it's not time to sleep yet. Watching those videos all night just keeps it going. Some people are more sensitive than others. If I don't use any screens say after 7 or so then go to bed at 9-930 I'm asleep in 5-10 min sometimes faster. If I watch tv or use Netflix in my phone before bed it takes me at least 30-45 min and sometimes hours to fall asleep. If I get frustrated and bored and decide to watch more I'm up till 2-300 am and the next day sucks. I feel bad and get pissed off at myself for screwing up my recovery.

Yes, I do need to stop watching those videos at night. It really doesn't help any. We did go to bed late, watching a movie before bed. I didn't fall asleep until 3 am, but much better than 5am. I put on some relaxing music and fell asleep to it. I must have needed the sleep, because when I woke up it was almost noon. I can't believe my family let me sleep that late. It felt good. I never sleep that late though. It felt like half my day was over.

I did workout today. I was planning on doing a nice relaxing yoga class, but I missed it this morning. So I went and did 40 min. on the ellitpical and then sat in the massage chair.

Food:

B:(brunch at noon); 1 c. lemon water, 1 c. cooked oatmeal with pumpkin, stevia and hemp seeds

S: other half of green smoothie

D: leftover avacado pasta( Oh She Glows blog), 2 slices of gluten free toast with jelly

Hey, sorry I didn't read the whole thread, but I will try to catch up!

For what it's worth, my sleep is pretty great (except for always having to to go toilet trips 1-2 times a night). There's loads of advice I could give which might help, but this video sums it all up pretty well, I hope you sort it out, sleep is more important that food for health.

Skeering, thanks for the video. I do realize that I do need to go to bed earlier. I really don't drink caffeine. I do like BOOM though before I lift weights in the morning. I realize it does have some caffeine in it, but it doesn't seem to bother me. Some great tips in there. I do have an app for my phone called Calm and it has some guided meditation and relaxation. Last night I used some relaxing music and some melatonin and I slept so good last night. I did wake up at 5 am, but went back to sleep pretty easily.

I realized I really need to get serious with this weight loss. I didn't do that great with my eating this weekend. I ususally allow myself a cheat meal on Friday nights, but lately it has become a cheat weekend. I need to stop that. I am ready to make a full commitment to this. I am ready to make this happen.

Tonight we have to go out to eat, because there is a guy coming to spray our house and we have to be out for a few hours.

But I will still make a good decision when eating out.

Workout:

1. bench press- 4x6 - 10-25 lbs. plates added.( I did the 25 lbs. plates, but had to have help getting the last one up)

2. decline pushup- 4x12

3. incline chest press- 4x24-15-20 lbs.

1. seated overhead tricep extension-4x6-30-40 lbs.

2. skull crusher-4x12-40 lbs.

3. rope tricep extension- used different cable so could lift heavier- 50-60 lbs. 4x24

abs-4 sets

1. 1 min. plank

2. side crunches- 20 reps each

3. russian twist with 10 lbs. 15 each side

Food:

B: 4 c. lemon water, 1 c. cooked oatmeal with pumpkin, 2 tbsp. hemp seed

L: mix of rice and quinoa

D: going out to eat

S: protein shake or banana ice cream with chocolate protein powder

For dinner last night we went to Costa Vida and I had a salad with beans and rice and avacado. I felt pretty good about the choice. For snack, I was starving for some reason. I did have oatmeal again and was awake at 1 am, so I had a rice cake with almond butter and half a banana. For some reason I was really hungry last night.

I did sleep better last night, but had a hard time falling asleep. I think part of it was stress related.

This is the last week for this type of workout. I am excited to do some new stuff next week.

Back/bicep:

1. pullups( assisted machine)- 4x8-10( 60-50 lbs.)

2. bent over row- 4x10- 50 lbs.

3. pullups- 4x AMRAP- I did 5-8 reps at 60-50 lbs.

1. straight arm cable pull overs- 4x10 -80-90 lbs.

2. seated on floor cable rows- 4x10 130-150 lbs.

1. incline bicep curl- 4x10- 15-20 lbs.

2. preacher curl- 4x8-10-5-10 lbs. added to bar

3. incline bicep curl-4x AMRAP-( 8-12 reps) 20 lbs.

rowing machine- 15 min. 3144 meters

Food:

B: same as usual

L: leftover rice and quinoa mix

D: fried rice with tofu

S: protein shake

Not a bad day yesterday. I did munch on a few things( veggie chips) which I shouldn't have, but it was a better day of eating. I was off today on my workout, I just didn't seem to have the energy I needed today. I still pushed through.

Leg day:

1.leg press machine- 4x6- 160 lbs.

2. bulgarian split squat- 4x12 each leg

3. leg press- 90-100 lb. 4x24

1. straight leg deadlift- 4x6-60 lbs.

2. glute kickbacks- 4x12 each- 65-75 lbs.

3. lying hamstring curls- 4x24- 40 lbs.

1. step ups- 4x10 each leg

2. seated calf raises- 4x20 45 lbs.

stationary bike- 2 min. heavy, 1 min recovery, 1 min. fast, 1 min. recovery=total of 15 min.

Food:

B: same

L: 1 c. homemade chili with rice crackers, spring mix salad

D: fried rice with tofu( last night we had chili instead)

S: protein shake, rice cakes or apple

Wow, I haven't done body combat class in a while( since I hurt my ankle). That was really tough today. It was fun, but really kicked my butt and made me feel out of shape.

I fell asleep good last night, but woke up at 1:30 am and had a hard time going back to sleep.

Food:

B: same as before

L: leftover fried rice with tofu

D: don't know yet, maybe leftovers a hummus wrap

S: protein shake, 1/2 apple

I love lentils. I have made some pretty good soups with lentils and actually found a recipe( Plant Powered Families) for a yummy sloppy joe with lentils. The whole family loved it. I think I will make that again this week.

I am feeling tired and run down today. I may just relax and watch a movie Jurassic World with my family tonight.

I did have a good workout. It was shoulders and abs and a 20 min. cardio on the treadmill( intervals). I didn't change weight really.

It has been a strange day for eating today. I had breakfast and got caught up in helping my son with his school today and didn't really eat lunch( My kids do online school).

Food:

B: same as above( I am creature of habit, I love the same breakfast)

S: green smoothie, 1 serving of veggie chips

D: smart dog with gluten free bun, salad

S: almond flour cacao chip cookies( I do a cheat meal and snack once a week)

I didn't eat that great this weekend, but I am ready to make a new start. I was realizing today how eating bad during the weekend really affects my workouts. I just didn't have a ton of energy this morning. I feel like my workouts are better when I eat better.

I have been sleeping great the past few nights. It is amazing how good it feels to sleep through the night.

I am starting a challenge next week. It is called " The 6 week burpee challenge" by Ella ( sexy fit vegan). I am excited and nervous to try. The challenge is to do 300 burpees a week. Each week the burpees change a little. So I am preparing for my burpee challenge next week.

Workout: chest/ tricep( trisets)

1. incline DB chest press- 4x8-10 (15-25 lbs.)

2. pushups( was supposed to do plyo pushups)- 4x10

3. incline DB chest press- 4xAMRAP- (15-25 lbs.)

1. narrow grip tricep chest press- 4x8-10( 40-50 lbs.)

2. OH tricep extension-4x10 (30-35 lbs.)

3. narrow grip tricep chest press-4x AMRAP(40-50 lbs.)

5 rounds:

10 burpees

20 walking lunges

30 mtn. climbers

40 single leg deadlifts( 20 on each leg)

I wanted to accomplish 50 burpees today, but not do them all in a row. It was a tough workout. I haven't done burpees in over 3 months, since I injured my ankle.

Food:

B: same

L: leftover homemade tomato soup( Oh She Glows), with 1/2 c. roasted chickpeas

D: don't know yet( some veggies for sure)

S: protein shake, apple

Thanks for the encouragement!

I felt I did really good with eating yesterday and am ready to finish off this day with good eating as well.

My workout was great as well. For the pullups today I had my son( he works out with me- he's 14) hold my feet and give me a little boost for the pullups. I am determined to be able to do a lot on my own. Right now I can only do one pullup. My son wants to go the our local Ninja gym soon. I am afraid I would be able to do much, but would love to try it.

Workout:( trisets)

1. pullups-4x6

2. narrow grip pulldowns-4x12(70-80 lbs.)

3. seated row-4x24( 50 lbs.)

1. bicep curl with bar- 4x6(50 lbs.)

2. reverse grip bicep curl with bar- 4x12(20-30 lbs.)

3. db hammer curls- 4x24( 10-15 lbs.)

1. roman chair abs- 5x20

2. crunches -5x20

3. superman-4x15

Food:

B; same

L; leftover homemade tomato soup with 1/2 c. roasted chickpeas

D: don't know we are going out tonight

S; protein shake, apple with almond butter( I had this last night and it was so yummy and filling)

Today has been a crazy day and it shows in my eating. I had to pick up my mother in law from the hospital this morning and my day has just been all messed up. I worked out later as well.

Workout: triset

1. stationary lunges with weight- 4x10( 10 lb. db)

2. jump squats- 4x10

3. stationary lunges with weight- 4xAMRAP( 10 lbs.)

1. lying hamstring curl- 4x10( 55-60 lbs.)

2. single leg deadlift with 10 lbs.- 4x10 each

3. lying hamstring curl- 4x AMRAP(55-60 lbs.)

1. single leg leg extension-4x10 each leg( 70-75 lbs.)

2. leg extension- 4x10( 10-115)

Practicing for my burpee challenge:

5 rounds

1. 10 burpees

2. 20 goblet squats

3. 30 skaters(15 each leg)

4. 40 jump ropes

Food:

B: chai tea, 1 c. cooked oatmeal with pumpkin, 2 tbsp. hemp seeds

S: veggie chips

S: green smoothie, rice cake

D: planning on hummus wrap or something easy with veggies

S: protein shake, apple with almond butter

I am feeling really tired today. I feel like I have been going and doing stuff non-stop. I am ready to take a break and relax the rest of the night. I will probably make some banana bread for the kids tonight as I have a lot of bananas that need that are brown.

For my workout today I did a Body Combat class. It was tough, but a lot of fun. I don't like to eat something big before I do body combat and oatmeal is too heavy for me.

Food:

B: banana ( before combat)

S: protein shake( post workout)

L: veggie dog( no bun), veggie chips( not the best option, but I didn't have anything ready to eat and I was tired)

S: other half of green smoothie

D: tofu scramble, carrot pineapple salad

S: pumpkin oatmeal with hemp seed

looks like a lot of food, but I should be within my calorie range.

My pumpkin oatmeal is just 1/2 c. gluten free oats cooked with water in the microwave( I am lazy), then add 1/4 c. canned pumpkin, stevia to taste and pumpkin pie spice( found in spice section)- I just sprinkle some in - probably a tsp. I like to add hemp seed for the protein.

I am interested in the trader joes pumpkin spice blend.

I can't believe Halloween is tomorrow. I need to come up with a healthy dessert that I can eat so that I won't feel deprived. I really need to lose this weight. My jeans are tighter than they were last year and not comfortable to wear, and I don't want to buy new jeans. So I need to buckle down and lose this weight. Plus I have my daugther's wedding in 3 weeks.

I think I am going to start back with my trainers meal plan again. I need the structure for a little while. I just need to make up the stuff today so I have it all ready.

Shoulders were killer today: tirsets

1. barbell shoulder press-4x6( 40 lbs.)

2. arnold press-4x12(10-15 lbs.)

3. lateral raises-4x24( by the time I got to these I could only do 5lbs.)

1. incline shoulder y raises- 4x10( 5lbs.)

2. alternating front raises on a diagonl 4x10(10 lbs.0

1. incline t raises- 4x10 ( 5-15 lbs.)

2. incline side laying front raises-4x10 on each arm( 5-10 lbs.)

decline ab crunches- 4x12

cable woodchoppers- 4x12( 30-40 lbs.)

70 burpees( woking up to my 300 a week goal)- did them in sets of 10

Food:

B: 4 c. lemon water, pumpkin oatmeal with 2 tbsp. hemp seed

S: green smoothie( 2 1/2 c. spinach, 1 scoop sun warrior vanilla protein powder, 1 1/2 tsp. maca powder, 1 tbsp. almond butter, 1/2 c. frozen strawberries, 1 c. almond milk, water)

L: 1 c. cooked tofu in brown rice tortilla, green beans

S: green smoothie( same as above. I make a big one and then divide them in half)

D: gluten free spaghetti with lentil sauce, salad

S; protein shake, baked apple with almond butter

just a quick post tonight. I am really really tired. I had a busy day with kids doing online school, working out and helping my oldest daughter load up her u-haul for moving. I am ready to just sit back and relax.

Did my chest and tricep workout: triset

1. db incline chest press-4x10(20-25 lbs.)

2. plyo pushups-4x10

3. db incline chest press 4x AMRAP( 20-25 lbs.)

1. tricep chest press- 4x10( 40-50 lbs.)

2. OH tricep extension- 4x10 ( 30-35 lbs.)

2. tricep chest press 4x AMRAP( 40-50 lbs.)

I did my 100 burpees today, but I broke them up.

10 rounds

10 burpees

10 walking lunges

10 mtn. climbers each side

5 single leg deadlifts on each leg

Now just 200 more burpees for this week. My goal as part of a burpee challenge is 300 this week.

Food:

B: 4 c. lemon water, homemade protein pancakes

L: homemade veggie soup, 1/2 c. brown rice, 1/2 c. cooked tofu

S: helped my daughter move she ordered pizza- I had one slice of gluten free pizza with no cheese just veggies( at dominoes they are small)

D: 1/2 c. brown rice, 1/2 c. refried beans covered with homemade cheeze sauce( Plant Powered Families), spring mix salad

S: was starving for some reason- 1 c. cooked oatmeal with raspberries and 1 scoop sun warrior vanilla protein powder