Ultimate Fighting

just watched the o' reilly interview. i think franklin and white handled themselves rather well. o'reilly is known for being a prick anyways, so i was glad they held there own.

i actually missed the fights as i has to work until 10pm. but i plan to catch the encore saturday night. i was suprised to hear goulet defeated luke cummo. i guess because the only time i saw goulet fight, he was landing face first into the mat 11 seconds into the first round courtesy of "bang" ludwig. but now that i have done more research on him, i guess maybe it was an off night for him. haha, i gotta say though, everytime i talk or read about him all i can think of is will ferrell.

http://www.arches.uga.edu/~boylekb/gouletcar1.jpg

GOULET!

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man, i was just reading up on the ufc site and a few other mma boards. everyone is buzzing about anderson silva. that must have been some fight. i can't wait to catch this tomorrow on the encore. i can already see that they are gonna push anderson silva and build him up to a title shot eventually. but there are a lot of guys that feel they deserve a title shot against franklin. they should definitely make him go thru a few guys before he gets there.

man, i was just reading up on the ufc site and a few other mma boards. everyone is buzzing about anderson silva. that must have been some fight. i can't wait to catch this tomorrow on the encore. i can already see that they are gonna push anderson silva and build him up to a title shot eventually. but there are a lot of guys that feel they deserve a title shot against franklin. they should definitely make him go thru a few guys before he gets there.

this could be the chance for rich franklin to finally get the press the other champions are getting in the UFC.

finally got a chance to see the encore of the ultimate fight night. my thoughts on the gurgel vs. homminick fight, i havent seen a chase scene like that since batman begins! it turned into a sprinting event, the 100 yard dash or something. after the fight they did their best impression of big poppa pump and did some pushups. it was both entertaining and lame at the same time.

GOULET! dominant on the ground, but standing he got knocked out twice, plus nearly submitted at the end. which is i suppose why he likes to keep things on the ground. did a good job of keeping luke down, but he never seemed to go for a submission or a big ground and pound to stop the fight. looked like he was just gathering points. he reminded me of more of josh koscheck than GSP. and the decison goes to.....GOULET! (i just like saying GOULET!, see post above)

looking forward to seeing anderson silva in action again soon. he needs to show the doubters that this was no fluke.

looking forward to seeing anderson silva in action again soon. he needs to show the doubters that this was no fluke.

anyone who thinks the silva/leben fight was a fluke must know almost nothing about mma. sliva fought one of the most technically perfect fights i have ever seen. especially when you see some of the punches leben has taken and walked through in the past.

agreed. ppl who think silva got lucky have not done their homework. they think this was his first fight?! it was his first fight in the UFC yes, but he has 20 other fights in Pride and other MMA tournaments.

i saw countdown to UFC 61 last night on spike. they did a good job hyping this PPV. at work yesterday it was very slow and everyone was talking about this saturday's PPV. this seems like it is gonna be very big. so i guess we can start making our predictions. in addition to the 2 big fights, frank mir is fighting dan christinson and josh burkman is fighting josh "the dentist" neer.

summary of last night: huge hype, small delivery. one fight ended too soon, the other lasted way too long. the place i saw this fight was packed, standing room only. i have not seen it this packed ever. this was an event!

ortiz/shamrock. we have been waiting 4 years for this fight and it gets stopped after 3 elbows. i'm not saying the outcome would have been different, but considering the history and the hype, they should have let it go a little longer than that. in an earlier fight, yves edwards was cut open by repeated elbows, and was bleeding all over the place. it took them a few minutes to stop that fight. but the ortiz/shamrock fight gets stopped after the 3 or 4 elbows. i don't get it.

arlovski/sylvia. neither one was very impressive. the first 2 rounds were decent, then the last 3 were just dead. maybe they were both being too cautious, too worried about being knocked out by the other. whatever it was, it didnt seem like 2 champions in the ring. imo, nobody won that fight.

the most exciting thing that happened was seeing wanderlai silva and chuck liddell agree to fight in november. seriously, i was practically jumped out of my seat when i heard dana white call out wanderlai's name. then chuck steps in the ring to accept the challenge. hope this hype delivers.

After staying on hold with my cable company for an hour because the pay per view wouldn't go thru (along with everyone else in my area). I got to see the "main events".

Shamrock vs Ortiz was a joke. It started out really, really, good! Shamrock started the fight like a bat out of hell. I had no doubt that Ortiz would win, but come on! I was glued to the TV, Shamrock can take hits and I wouldn't have called it so soon. Right after the ref called it, Shamrock jumps up like WTF. There's something very wrong when the ref calls the fight and the other fighter isn't even dazed.

Anyway, the other "main event" turned into a boxing / dance match. If I wanted to see boxing I wouldn't be watching UFC.

Overall, a great disappointment.

I dunno - tough call for Herb Dean. Ortiz landed that one big elbow that seemed to stun Sharmock - then several blows in a row that Shamrock didn't seem to be interested in blocking. After watching the replay, I was pretty stunned that Shamrock got up so quickly. He was taking a beating. So in hindsight, given Shamrock's reaction after it was stopped, it might have seemed like an early stoppage. But he appeared to be in a world of trouble.

The Iceman-Wanderlai thing was pretty goofy. If I'm Babalu, I've got a REALLY BIG chip on my shoulder right now. I think Chuck made a mistake by taking a fight that depends on him winning his next fight (might be the Red Sox fan in me, but I think he jinxed himself).

In my opinion and this is just my opinion i dont know if babalu can take liddel. Dont get me wrong Babalu is a GREAT fighter, but I just think hes gonna get knocked out.

I am completely excited about the Liddel-Silva fight. Finally someone who can dethrone Liddel. Silva is a mad mother..Shut your mouth.

yea i can imagine what babalu must feel like. "chuck will face wanderlia silva after he beats babalu". everyone is talking about this like the fights already over. maybe that will fuel his fire, his mission must be to upset everybody this time.

i read that arlovski is going to get an MRI on his left leg. apparently he suffered an injury to his knee and ankle somewhere in the 2nd round. this would explain the lack of kicks that looked effective in the first round, why he never shot for a takedown, or pretty much didn't do anything for the last 3 rounds. arlovski didn't mention this to anybody because, unlike someone else we know, "he didn't want to appear as if he was making excuses for falling short on points." the story here.

next up: Diego "Nightmare" Sanchez vs Karo "The Heat" Parisian, ultimate fight night on spiketv, august 17th.

• 3 weeks later...

new fight added to the undercard at UFC 62. before iceman and babalu go at it, it will be the rematch between stephan bonnar and forrest griffin. the last time they met they had a war. they are both coming off losses. however, forrest looked much better in his last fight than bonnar did. that probably makes him the favorite. we'll see if this one is as good as the last time they fought. remember what that looked like?

http://www.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/12029.jpg

http://www.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/12042.jpg

http://www.forrestgriffin.net/pics/tuf/tuf_31.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i know this would be my 3rd post in a row in this thread, but i must because:

OMFG! THEY'RE DOING IT AGAIN?!

Shamrock vs. Ortiz 3?! WTF?!

"UFC president Dana White is quoted in Sunday’s Las Vegas Review-Journal that the trilogy-making bout will take place."

“[Ortiz-Shamrock II] had a lot of buildup and a lot of hype and it ended in a minute,” White told Kevin Iole. “Nobody got to see the fight they paid to come to see, so we’re going to give it to them.”

i know this would be my 3rd post in a row in this thread, but i must because:

OMFG! THEY'RE DOING IT AGAIN?!

Shamrock vs. Ortiz 3?! WTF?!

"UFC president Dana White is quoted in Sunday’s Las Vegas Review-Journal that the trilogy-making bout will take place."

“[Ortiz-Shamrock II] had a lot of buildup and a lot of hype and it ended in a minute,” White told Kevin Iole. “Nobody got to see the fight they paid to come to see, so we’re going to give it to them.”

perhaps the problem is , that unfortunately, they saw the only kind of fight they are going to see between the two of them.

though i do think that ortiz-shamrock 2 was stopped a bit too early, i still don't think that shamrock will be able to pull out a win at this stage. i haven't seen anyone who seriously thinks shamrock has a chance. i'll still watch it though.

and hey, our old friend Mac Danzig just had his 11th straight win with a decision over Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt Buddy Clinton.

http://www.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/34407.jpg

Winner and still vegan, Mac Danzig!

well i have been posting like crazy over here, and i apologize if i am annoying. but i like to bring up news i hear cruising around the web. from watching ultimate fight night last night, i kept hearing they are going to broadcast the official weigh in for ufc 62 next friday. the announcer also mentioned that dana white will be making "a huge announcement regarding the ultimate grudge match" or something like that. i figure this means dana will make the official announcement of ortiz vs. shamrock III in october. good news? i say yes, because that means that their cannot possisbly be a rematch between ortiz and chuck liddel in november, as was speculated before. which in turn means the wanderlai silva vs. chuck liddel fight in november is still on!

also for those who are familiar with wrestling and the WWE, i read on sherdog that former professional wrestler, Brock Lesnar, wants to get in on the MMA action. he is looking to compete in K-1 Heros (kickboxing). apparently he has been training with the militech camp, AND with Royce Gracie as well. clicky clicky here. how do you guys think he will do?

I don't want to comment about Liddell/Silva until Liddell/Sobral is decided. I'd love to see it, but I think Sobral is going to have something strong to say about it.

Seeing Lesnar in MMA will be interesting as he is huge and strong. But, so will some of the guys he'll be facing. His wrestling will no doubt be top notch, but I wonder how his striking will be. Guess we'll find out.

You know whatever happened to Mike Tyson in MMA? I heard rumors about that for a while, but nothing ever came of it.

well i have been posting like crazy over here, and i apologize if i am annoying. but i like to bring up news i hear cruising around the web. from watching ultimate fight night last night, i kept hearing they are going to broadcast the official weigh in for ufc 62 next friday. the announcer also mentioned that dana white will be making "a huge announcement regarding the ultimate grudge match" or something like that. i figure this means dana will make the official announcement of ortiz vs. shamrock III in october. good news? i say yes, because that means that their cannot possisbly be a rematch between ortiz and chuck liddel in november, as was speculated before. which in turn means the wanderlai silva vs. chuck liddel fight in november is still on!

also for those who are familiar with wrestling and the WWE, i read on sherdog that former professional wrestler, Brock Lesnar, wants to get in on the MMA action. he is looking to compete in K-1 Heros (kickboxing). apparently he has been training with the militech camp, AND with Royce Gracie as well. clicky clicky here. how do you guys think he will do?

that is something I would llike to see. but at 285lbs, that is a little thick to be punching and kicking for 15 minutes. Also how strong are the substance tests in the MMA world. I dont know myself, I know that he is a great amatuer wrestler, but I seemed to remember he got hit with a failed drug test, before he bailed on the WWE. I dont have a link to the article, in all fairness to lesner, it could have been just hearsay.

I don't want to comment about Liddell/Silva until Liddell/Sobral is decided. I'd love to see it, but I think Sobral is going to have something strong to say about it.

yeah, that is an excellent point. we shouldn't get ahead of ourselve. babalu has improved trememdously in the last 10 fights since he last fought chuck liddell. he beat 3 fighters in one night, including jeremy horn and shogun rua.

You know whatever happened to Mike Tyson in MMA? I heard rumors about that for a while, but nothing ever came of it.

i never heard anything else about it. i read the he was at a recent pride announcement to help promote the event, but he did not make any announcements to fight.

how strong are the substance tests in the MMA world. I dont know myself, I know that he is a great amatuer wrestler, but I seemed to remember he got hit with a failed drug test, before he bailed on the WWE. I dont have a link to the article, in all fairness to lesner, it could have been just hearsay.

well i know that Kimo was suspended from fighting in a pretty big event recently because he tested positive for steroids. and tim sylvia was stripped of his heavyweight title the first time he won it for the same reason. in recent years i can think of 2 other guys who were reprimanded for steroid use. when asked about this subject, "UFC president White is outraged from the test results: "Bottom line is," said White, "guys have to learn to play by the rules or they're done with us."

as far as Lesnar competing, he has a strong wrestling background and obviously has the size and power. and he is training with some top guys. i don't know how long he has been training, but i have seen too many huge guys get taken out by smaller opponents to give him much of an edge. if he is only been training for a few months, and he gets in there with a skilled veteran he is in trouble. even if the guy he is facing is much smaller, he is still will not have the edge. we've seen it happen time and time again. Gerard Gordea vs. Tela Tuli, Keith Hackney vs. Emmanuel Yarboruogh, Noguiera vs. Bob Sapp, Genki Sudo vs. Butterbean, Royce Gracie vs. Akebono, Royce Gracie vs. Dan Severn, Royce Gracie vs. etc...

a wise man once said "thunder gets your attention, but lightning does the job."

pride doesn't test for steroids. it is my understanding that the UFC only tests for title fights. there are drugs you can take up to a few days before a fight and not test positive and hgh is undetectable so don't think a fighter is clean just because he doesn't fail a drug test.

well it's official. ortiz vs. shamrock III on oct. 10th, on a tuesday?! well at least this time we won't have to shell out for a PPV. it will be free on spike tv.

i saw the all access babalu special. that girl that was hosting was all over babalu's jock. all the uncomfortable innuendo when they were surfing. i wanted to learn how to surf, babalu took the time to indulge me. "what are you gonna do with me babalu?" "well first i'm gonna put you on the sand, then you are gonna lay down... " is it getting hot in here? and when they were eating, "wow babalu, you know how to cook.... i like that in a guy. " oh jesus just get a room already!!!

Iceman vs. Babalu tonight! LET'S GET IT ON!

I was hoping the BIG announcement was something better than Ortiz-Shamrock III, but hey, at least it's free. And hopefully they'll have some good undercard fights.

Notice Shamrock doing a little image damage control when interviewing with Rogan? I think he knows he must have looked like a total a$$ on TUF 3.

SPIKE has to go hi def, btw. What is taking them so long? We even have a weather channel that's hi def now. I don't need doppler in hi def, I need MMA in hi def! I'm gonna have to send an e-mail ('cuz that always works )