Ultimate Fighting

Thanks for the link, Ronnie.

Wow - WTF? I guess Franklin must have really wanted to keep off the mat. And he didn't seem too eager to break the clinch. You know, I hate to say it, but what was he thinking? I wonder if his ribs got cracked or something (along with that nose ) and that's why he kinda froze.

hey he should have done that whole knee on the canvas at the beginning of the match. like he told

serra to do.

seriously, I think that your correct he did not seem to want to take it down to the floor, even when it seemed that silva had his number in the clinch.

I cont see anyone but franklin again, giving silva any trouble in the middleweights.

wasnt franklin the only fighter ranked number one in that sherdog thing.?

Was franklin even teeling that good. he did ont look as confident as unsual . And he looked a little sluggish. oh well even if he was sick he probably wouldnt tell us anyway.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link, Ronnie.

Wow - WTF? I guess Franklin must have really wanted to keep off the mat. And he didn't seem too eager to break the clinch. You know, I hate to say it, but what was he thinking? I wonder if his ribs got cracked or something (along with that nose ) and that's why he kinda froze.

I think i read on sherdog that Franklin said he was really suprised on how strong Silvas clinch was. Like he was unable to break the clinch it was so tight. Anderson is tough. I highly doubt Franklin wasnt in shape for this fight. I think Silva just had his number.

well after getting over the shock, I have come to the conclusion that haveing anderson silva as champion is a good thing. I say this as I read many negative things being said , on Sherdog, about anderson silva, rich franklin and UFC fans (for being a white only, english speaking club.) I think that Franklin will have his second chance. I think that Silva will dispatch every fighter that he is put against. Because franklin cant fight for months because of injury, so i think that Silva and franklin will be the equivalent of the Couture\Liddell matches. That will be exciting. I remember not too long ago I said that I did not know that much about franklin, because he was not pushed enough, well now the middleweight fights will have a lot more interest from me. I am very excited about the matches to come in the middeweight division. I feel that Franklin will change his approach and training for the next fight with silva. The UFC has been critized for being a closed off company, limited to selected people to fight their champions. with the silva addition and victory, that has changed. the accusations were made on Sherdog, I dont remember which threads, but I am sure that I am not the only one to hear or read this am I?

I have also heard that Hughes said before the fight that he would fight silva, if franklin lost the fight with silva. He said he would go up a weight division to do this. tha links to the press release are on the Sherdog. It is reported that hughes hasnt said anything since the fight (I wonder if he was a shocked as we were by the ease that silva handled franklin.)

I doubt that White would let two champions go at it for one fight. that would be a loss of too much money.

Kenny Florian ran into a roadbliock. It was a great fight. just not one Florian was really a part of . However I believe that 155 is florian's weight, so i think he will do better.

I have also heard that Hughes said before the fight that he would fight silva, if franklin lost the fight with silva. He said he would go up a weight division to do this.

i remember the camera panning to hughes after silva won. it was sort of like an "oh shit, did i say that?" look. well, i doubt he will move up in weight. he's got 3 or 4 fights ahead of him. first GSP, then if he gets past him, you got diego sanchez (still undefeated) waiting to get his shot. and then of course if he loses to one of these guys, he is gonna be the first to get a rematch. if he wins, bj penn will be recovered by that time and there should be a rubber match. i don't think he'll mention a word about moving up in weight for a while.

oh... that's right, there were some other fights that night.

the new lightweight champion is now sean sherk. it was a tough 5 rounds, but despite him being cut open with "the lethal elbow" of kenny florian, he fought past it and definitely took that decision. this looks like it will be a very exciting division. lots of talent and all the athletes are exciting fighters. it's hard to say who will be his first title defense, because there is so much talent there.

the Bad Intentions website is up

http://65.ufc.com/

just added to the card is Frank Mir vs. Brandon Vera. i hope Mir has gotten in better shape than his last fight, because Vera is undefeated and hungry for a shot at the heavyweight title.

I have also heard that Hughes said before the fight that he would fight silva, if franklin lost the fight with silva. He said he would go up a weight division to do this.

i remember the camera panning to hughes after silva won. it was sort of like an "oh shit, did i say that?" look. well, i doubt he will move up in weight. he's got 3 or 4 fights ahead of him. first GSP, then if he gets past him, you got diego sanchez (still undefeated) waiting to get his shot. and then of course if he loses to one of these guys, he is gonna be the first to get a rematch. if he wins, bj penn will be recovered by that time and there should be a rubber match. i don't think he'll mention a word about moving up in weight for a while.

oh... that's right, there were some other fights that night.

the new lightweight champion is now sean sherk. it was a tough 5 rounds, but despite him being cut open with "the lethal elbow" of kenny florian, he fought past it and definitely took that decision. this looks like it will be a very exciting division. lots of talent and all the athletes are exciting fighters. it's hard to say who will be his first title defense, because there is so much talent there.

the Bad Intentions website is up

http://65.ufc.com/

just added to the card is Frank Mir vs. Brandon Vera. i hope Mir has gotten in better shape than his last fight, because Vera is undefeated and hungry for a shot at the heavyweight title.

man I am so excited about those matches after watching the promo at the site, thanks ronnie for posting it.

Monson looks a little intense. Sylvia better hope that monson dosent get him down on the ground. that is one thick muscled dude.

Ofcourse sylvias reach is going to be a huge advantage, 10 inches in height is a big advantage too.

that is gonig to be a great card.

come on GSP

Go GSP!! Its time for the welterweight champ to be dethroned. Im sure GSP wants it bad. Especially after the comments Matt Hughes made on TUF.

I agree, and I like that things that he said about his first encounter with hughes. he admitted that he was awestruck, but not this time.

He seems to have a great thought out plan . however so many people do and then they get injured during the match. that is sooo frusttrating for me. I would just like both people to be in healthy condition throughout the match. I wish they were all able to execute their strategies.

OH well

• 2 weeks later...

I think if Tito can close the distance and atleast work the clinch, let alone get the takedown, he will win.

Chuck is good, but... its weird. Hes not a slick boxer, so I dont know how he can throw with the best of em. And hes not an amazing kickboxer either... But I think Tito will gas him.

Edit:\\ If tito cant close the distance then I forsee him taking some bombs from Chuck, but not going down because hes in such great shape. Instead, he will keep taking the punishment from Chuck and go down in flames.

not sure which way to go on this one. it's one of those things, if Tito can just take it to the ground, he will have a good chance of winning. but that is a big IF, because a lot of great wrestlers and grapplers have tried and failed to take Chuck to the ground. last one who did it successfully was Randy Courtre in 2003. since then he has successfully defended takedowns from Randy (twice), Babalu Sobral, and Jeremy Horn. might as well say, if Tito can just avoid getting hit.... it's not so easy to avoid getting hit or take him down. not to say it can't happen again though.

sure Tito blazed thru Ken Shamrock, but Tito had a lot of problems with Forrest Griffin. imagine the problems he will have with Chuck Liddell.

just heard Michael Bisping is not fighting this weekend after all. some sort of problems with his visa.

not sure which way to go on this one. it's one of those things, if Tito can just take it to the ground, he will have a good chance of winning. but that is a big IF, because a lot of great wrestlers and grapplers have tried and failed to take Chuck to the ground. last one who did it successfully was Randy Courtre in 2003. since then he has successfully defended takedowns from Randy (twice), Babalu Sobral, and Jeremy Horn. might as well say, if Tito can just avoid getting hit.... it's not so easy to avoid getting hit or take him down. not to say it can't happen again though.

sure Tito blazed thru Ken Shamrock, but Tito had a lot of problems with Forrest Griffin. imagine the problems he will have with Chuck Liddell.

just heard Michael Bisping is not fighting this weekend after all. some sort of problems with his visa.

yeah that is the problem, a lot of BIG IFS.

kind of reminds me of the story of the cat and the fox.

they meet in the woods and the fox (with the hounds in the distance) says hey to the cat. the cat says are those hounds after you? the fox says oh yeah but not to worry, I know a hundred ways to get away from them.

the hounds move closer, the fox keeps talking, they move closer, the fox keeps talking. finally the hounds are on top of them and the fox gets eaten, the cat lives. why? the fox knew many ways, but couldnt decide. the cat knew one, up the tree.

why did i tell this story, because just when I feel like saying that liddell is a two trick pony (evade and have that hand cocked) i think of that story and remember that he does those two things really well.

hwo does someone not line up for those two things. of course if they did the rich franklin knee to the ground and just kept changing knees, chuck couldnt hit them with either his feet or hands. and he doesnt have a ground game to speak of. hummmmmm

a few more fights have been added to UFC 66. among them, jason "the athlete" mcdonald (who we last saw dominating ed herman) is set to fight another guy from an ultimate fighter series, chris "the crippler" leben.

also, i just found out there will be another Fight Night on spike tv on dec. 13, featuring diego sanchez vs joe riggs. also set to fight on that night is mr. international himself, Shonie Carter! (and his pimp suit no doubt)

so lots of cool things coming up. but first, UFC 65 only a couple of days away now. i think i'm a little more excited for the sylvia vs. monson fight than i am about the main event. i guess i just wanna see monson catch sylvia in a submission. did anyone see the north/south choke he caught brandon hinkle in? that was sick! and i'm also looking forward to seeing brandon vera vs. frank mir, because the winner of that will probably be next in line for a title shot.

SPOLIER WARNING for UFC65...

That was the worst UFC I can remember.

The 5th round of Sylvia-Monson was painfully bad - they deserved every "boo" they got. Awful.

Vera looked good. Seems like a real cool guy. Hope he puts up a better fight with Sylvia than Monson (assuming he's next for Sylvia).

Sakara employed the sit-down-and-get-beat defense to perfection in a fight that he was probably winning

Mishima employed the stick-my-head-into-a-guillotine-over-and-over defense to perfection. Joe Daddy looks good at 155, but he won't get another gift like that.

Finally, GSP looked incredible. Phenomenal. He pulled the night out for Dana White, but overall a very lackluster event.

let's say it all together.

GSP! NEW WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPION!

2nd round TKO! what an exciting fight that was! it was pretty much GSP the whole fight. you can read how the fight went down in the link above. let me just say that GSP reacted much like Anderson Silva when he won the bout. he fell to his knees, head buried in his hands, holding back tears of joy. he was very respectful of Matt Hughes. always concerned with the safety of his opponent, during and after the fight. he thanked Matt for the opportunity and made sure he was ok. they even exchanged a high five in the middle of round one. also, i was impressed that despite the people who were chanting "USA! USA! USA!", GSP was all class. in the post fight interview, he said something to the effect of "even though i am canadian, i would like to thank all the USA for giving me the opportunity to fight here and i will do my best to give all the fans exciting fights when i defend the belt and keep the title in north america." i think it was his way of saying, let's not make this into a USA vs. CANADA thing. i like this guy.

it would have been nice to have 2 belts exchange hands. but by contrast to the main event, tim sylvia continues to be the most unimpressive champion ever. another 5 rounds of him NOT trying to win, just trying not to lose. even though he had a huge reach advantage, he never tried to press the action. even big john mccarthy had to stop the fight in the 5th round to ask them to pick up the pace. everyone booed as the decision was announced. and again the opposit of good sportmanship and class, he gives the crowd the finger after the fight.

if any finds a link to the Brandon Vera vs. Frank Mir fight, post it somewhere here. i got to the PPV a little late and missed that fight. apparently Vera won by TKO in the first round.

Im soooooooooooo happy Hughes is no longer the champ.

I was really hoping to see Diego Sanchez and Hughes fight first though. Diego is really cocky and has great conditioning. Hes got good GnP and is a great wrestler too. And then Matt is just good all-around. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to see them fight.

Only 2 outcomes possible: A badass war till the end or someone getting KTFO... big time.