Ultimate Fighting

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anybody else expect Diego Sanchez to take out Riggs like that, that quick? I was stunned. I was really hoping Riggs would hand Diego Sanchez his first loss. They were saying it looks like Sanchez is in Contender status now. Do you think he'll have to fight Matt Hughes next. Or maybe BJ Penn. I dont think they would just give him a title shot before fighting one of those guys.

I think Sanchez has earned whatever fight he gets, but I suspect that Dana will hold off on a title shot for a bit - mainly just for business reasons. That division is stacked and he can milk top notch fights out of it until it's at frenzy level - and if Diego is still undefeated going into a title shot a year from now - that fight would be HUGE. Sanchez - BJ Penn would be really interesting for now though - good call.

i think diego does deserve a title shot. but with the way things are run, i don't think he will get one just yet. from the business side of it, it will probably be a rematch between matt hughes and GSP. and then of course, you still have BJ Penn waiting to come back for another shot at the title, be it Hughes or GSP. then there is Matt Serra who is gaurenteed a title shot. so as good as he is and as much as he has proven, Diego Sanchez may still have to wait for his title shot.

i also heard that Rampage was coming to UFC to challenge Chuck Liddell. that would be an interesting fight. do you realize that since Liddell got the title he has been fighting nothing but rematches? Jeremy Horn, Randy Coutre, Babalu Sobral, Tito Ortiz, all guys he has fought at least once before. and now they are talking about Rampage, another rematch. but still Rampage Jackson would be a good match up for Liddell. but i still am hoping to see Wanderlai Silva in the octagon vs. Chuck Liddell. a guy can hope can't he.

I thought BJ Penn was going back down to lightweight. Heard or read that somewhere in the last month.

yep, looks like your right. i just saw Inside the UFC on spike. they announced the new coaches for season 5 of The Ultimate Fighter. the new season will feature lightweight fighters, and the coaches will be "The Prodigy" BJ Penn and "Lil Evil" Jens Pulver. AND... at the end of the season, at the Ultimate Finale, it will be the long awaited Penn vs. Pulver rematch!

it was also officially announce that Quinton "Rampage" Jackson will be fighting in the UFC in 2007. against who, they have not announced yet. but they will surely be hyping up a rematch with Chuck Liddell. Tim Sylvia has signed an extension with the UFC for 3 more fights, so he will have to defend the belt in 2007. apparently the UFC has also bought out the contracts of Heath Herring and Ryoto Machida (who is the only guy besides Anderson Silva to beat Rich Franklin). with all this news, hopefully the official announcement of Crocop coming to UFC will be here soon.

just ordered UFC On demand live streaming for Saturday... anyone ever done this?

I killed my television months ago, so I can't get ppv, none of my friends who do have cable wanna sit thru UFC and I don't wanna sit in a pub nursing the same beer for 3 hours (training hard right now, so no alcohol!).

heres an interesting article of what Randy Courture thinks Tito needs to do to beat Chuck. The main thing i was wanting you to see is the last sentence of the article.

http://blogs.chron.com/fighting/2006/12/couture_outlines_fight_plan_fo_1.html

damn, i wouldn't mind seeing Randy back in the octagon again. however, the key word there is if Tito wins.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=6424

Sounds like Crocop will def be fighting in the UFC. I guess they will be interducing him on the next UFC

AWESOME! great news. i rather liked Eddie Sanchez from the last time i saw him fight. but that would be a great upset if he beat Crocop. i'm sure Tim Sylvia will be watching with great interest.

hey, the Anderson Silva vs. Travis Lutter has been scheduled for Feb. 3rd at UFC 67: All or Nothing. can't wait for this saturday, it's a great card all around.

My sensei told us today, in class, to watch UFC 66 and study Chuck Liddell's use of distance - so cool! Sparring today was all about using distance. And leg kicks. I'm bruised and stoked now. Tito has got to get inside Chuck's firing range or he's just gonna get a swollen face. 3 more hours...

This UFC was alright i suppose. The only bouts that i really got excited on was Jason Macdonald VS Chris Leben and Tito Ortiz VS Chuck Liddel. I was so stoked when Macdonald got Leben in the guillitine. I was practically jumping up and down.

In my opinion the ref stepped in a little too soon to stop the Ortiz/Liddel fight. If anything he should have stepped in in the first round when Liddel knocked Tito down the first time. He wasnt out in the third round and Mario shouldnt have stopped in. IMO.

I was happy Michael Bisping won his match. But he didnt look as impressive as i hoped he would be. But he won so i was happy about that.

I think UFC 67 will be better than this one. So i cant wait till that one.

This UFC was alright i suppose. The only bouts that i really got excited on was Jason Macdonald VS Chris Leben and Tito Ortiz VS Chuck Liddel. I was so stoked when Macdonald got Leben in the guillitine. I was practically jumping up and down.

In my opinion the ref stepped in a little too soon to stop the Ortiz/Liddel fight. If anything he should have stepped in in the first round when Liddel knocked Tito down the first time. He wasnt out in the third round and Mario shouldnt have stopped in. IMO.

I was happy Michael Bisping won his match. But he didnt look as impressive as i hoped he would be. But he won so i was happy about that.

I think UFC 67 will be better than this one. So i cant wait till that one.

well I guess that this opens the door to Liddell vs Rampage?

I look forward to 67 also.

I would say that the more I think of it the more I am interested in the welterweight division. I am truly more interested in the Light, welter and middleweight divisions then in the others. Perhaps because those divisions now contain more Alumni from the ultimate fighter programs.

Also I think that Crocop will walk through sylvia, so that isnt really all that exciting to me. I mean sylvia gets on my nerves, but crocop is a terminator. Crocop could do some big damage to Sylvias legs, sylvia already lacks mobility, after something like that ,......forget about it.

I sort feel bad for sylvia for having to fight crocop.

we will see though, sylvia has mad it through some situations that I thought he would lose.

In the 1st round, Tito covered up more tightlly. Mario stopped it in the 3rd because Tito was fetal, which is often an involuntary reaction when losing consciousness, plus he was only covering up with one arm, the other was kinda' flapping around. Tito seemed happy with his fight and went out with grace - I was happy to see that.

Ortiz wasn't as ko'd as Griffin tho - he got K'd the F O! (his own words) I'm still a bit PO'd about his quick exit after the fight - sorta takes something away from Jardine's win, which was well earned.

I thought the fights were pretty good overall. The last heavyweight bout even had some good BJJ. The Alves/De Souza fight was a bit of a let-down maybe. A bit bizarre - I loved De Souza's "flying-into-uppercut" move, followed by "shooting-for-knee-in-face." Too bad cuz De Souza looks like he's probably a good BJJ fighter. Just wasn't a good enough striker, and it definitely wasn't his night.

In the 1st round, Tito covered up more tightlly. Mario stopped it in the 3rd because Tito was fetal, which is often an involuntary reaction when losing consciousness, plus he was only covering up with one arm, the other was kinda' flapping around. Tito seemed happy with his fight and went out with grace - I was happy to see that.

Ortiz wasn't as ko'd as Griffin tho - he got K'd the F O! (his own words) I'm still a bit PO'd about his quick exit after the fight - sorta takes something away from Jardine's win, which was well earned.

I thought the fights were pretty good overall. The last heavyweight bout even had some good BJJ. The Alves/De Souza fight was a bit of a let-down maybe. A bit bizarre - I loved De Souza's "flying-into-uppercut" move, followed by "shooting-for-knee-in-face." Too bad cuz De Souza looks like he's probably a good BJJ fighter. Just wasn't a good enough striker, and it definitely wasn't his night.

first off, the bar/restraunt where i saw this at was packed, the energy was incredible, and very vocal. pretty evenly split between liddell and ortiz.

jason mcdonald took some heavy shots at first, but again put on a clinic in submissions. chris leben was chocked out cold. mcdonald has to be seen as contender now. taking out two high profile fighters in a row.

there is still alot of love for Arlovski, lots of cheers when he was making his entrance. good to see AA get back in his winning ways. to punch a guy and daze him while you are on your back, that show alot of power behing those punches.

the griffin/jardine fight was very surprising to me. did not expect it to end so soon and they way it did. jardine just jumped in with a flurry of punches and followed up with those brutal shot to the head. he definitely pullled out an upset, and who knows where this win will take him.

and for liddel/ortiz, the crowd was so into it i couldn't believe it. it was like the electricity that a tyson fight used to have. every takedown or knockdown was greeted with cheers like a superbowl touchdown. liddel pulls out the win. though when they stopped the fight it did look like tito was covering up enough. however tito did not protest, so i won't either. i don't think the fight would have ended any differently if they let it continue. chucks takedown defense matched with his striking ability was just too much.

glad to see the official arrival of Crocop and Rampage! 2007 is starting off great already!

next ultimate fight night on spike tv is gonna be on jan.25th. the main event is gonna be rashad evans vs. sean salmon. but i am more excited about the ufc debut of Heath Herring. most famous for being that guy that got kissed and knocked his opponent out during the staredown (i know you have all seen that video), he is another PrideFC heavyweight veteran who has an overall record of 26-11, including wins over Gan "The Giant" Mcgee, Evan Tanner, Mark Kerr, and Big Daddy Goodridge. yes, he has faced and lost against the top 3: Fedor, Minotauro, and Crocop. but i always felt he was one of those guys that was pretty good in Pride, but would clean house in UFC heavyweight division. of course now that Crocop is in UFC, it makes his impact a little less strong. but i'd still like to see him fight, and i even think he could take Tim Sylvia's belt.

http://www.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/32/32188.jpg

GSP hurt again!

http://www.mmanews.com/ufc/Breaking-News:-GSP-Injured-Off-UFC-67-Line-Up.html

It makes sense not to fight being injured and im glad he isnt too proud to try to fight with an injury, but im still dissappointed that he isnt able to defend his title till a later date.

Well it looks like Rich Franklin will be returning to the cage on March 3. Unfortunately for him he will be fighting Jason Macdonald. I used to like Rich Franklin but im really like Jason Macdonald. So im rooting for Macdonald on this one. If he does take this one my guess would be a title shot not too long after. Looking forward to this fight for sure!

http://www.mmanews.com/ufc/Rich-Franklin-vs.-Jason-MacDonald-Confirmed-For-UFC-68-The-Uprising.html

It's tough for the lesser knowns tho - they need sponsors to pay for their training I guess... One of my instructors is in Las Vegas training and trying to get a UFC hookup and he's supported by sponsors and our club. Maybe that's why Tito wasn't too upset that he lost!

Too bad about GSP - it would be stupid to try and defend a title injured tho. I will be looking forward to the Jason MacDonald/Franklin fight. Definitely a tougher opponent for MacDonald. I'll be rooting for the Canuck too!

cool, mcdonald vs. franklin. definitely will be a big test for mcdonald, but he is on a roll. i like franklin, but i think i will root for mcdonald as well. i hear that matt hughes is gonna fight that night as well, and tim sylvia too. this is like a militech camp showcase. i don't know sylvia is fighting, but i hope it is brandon vera. and i don't know why they are putting tim sylvia in the main event. i can see a lot of people leaving early to get out of the parking lot first.

tough break for GSP. hope he recovers soon.

It sounds like there is a good possibility "The Natural" Randy Couture will be coming out of retirement. But not to fight Chuck Liddell in LHW. If he comes out itll be against the HW division and Tim Sylvia. I would LOVE for him to take out Tim Sylvia. But the HW division is becoming quite stacked as far as talent goes. Crocop will be there and i really dont think Randy can stand with Crocop. But we'll see if he does decide to. IMO i dont see some huge comeback from Randy, as magical as that would be. I know ill be keeping my eyes open to see if this will happen.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=6514

It sounds like there is a good possibility "The Natural" Randy Couture will be coming out of retirement. But not to fight Chuck Liddell in LHW. If he comes out itll be against the HW division and Tim Sylvia. I would LOVE for him to take out Tim Sylvia. But the HW division is becoming quite stacked as far as talent goes. Crocop will be there and i really dont think Randy can stand with Crocop. But we'll see if he does decide to. IMO i dont see some huge comeback from Randy, as magical as that would be. I know ill be keeping my eyes open to see if this will happen.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=6514

I would love to see the Sylvia vs Couture fight.

I think he could very well win that one, but I agree that the division is getting quite good.