Ultimate Fighting

i read that Randy was making a big announcement on tonight's Inside The UFC, so i figured he was coming out of retirement. but i didn't know it would be for a fight against Tim Sylvia. that's awesome news. no wonder they put Tim in the main event, now it all makes sense.

i just hope Tim doesn't just circle Randy for 5 rounds to a decision. and if any can take Tim down it would be Randy. against Tim Sylvia, i think Randy stands a good shot at taking the title. against Crocop.... ehhh, maybe not so much.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i saw clips of Randy's official announcement on Inside The UFC. he echoes my sentiments about Tim Sylvia. he said he was not fighting to win, just not to lose. i was thinking "i'm glad someone said finally said it". so Tim may actually have to fight this time.

so Tim Sylvia vs. Randy Coutre, Rich Franklin vs. Jason Macdonald, now we just need to know who Matt Hughes is gonna fight. Diego Sanchez or Karo Parysian would be good.

they better update that website soon. i'm ready to see some Crocop and Rampage hilights.

i saw clips of Randy's official announcement on Inside The UFC. he echoes my sentiments about Tim Sylvia. he said he was not fighting to win, just not to lose. i was thinking "i'm glad someone said finally said it". so Tim may actually have to fight this time.

so Tim Sylvia vs. Randy Coutre, Rich Franklin vs. Jason Macdonald, now we just need to know who Matt Hughes is gonna fight. Diego Sanchez or Karo Parysian would be good.

Now im excited about that UFC. I think Diego should fight Matt Hughes. That would be a great test for "The Nightmare." If he can beat Matt Hughes he def deserves a title shot IMO. This is a great start for the beginning of the year for the UFC.

For those that didnt get to see the Inside the UFC ronnie is talking about, heres a good article about Randy coming out of retirement.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=4174

Im soooooooooooo happy Hughes is no longer the champ.

I was really hoping to see Diego Sanchez and Hughes fight first though. Diego is really cocky and has great conditioning. Hes got good GnP and is a great wrestler too. And then Matt is just good all-around. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to see them fight.

Only 2 outcomes possible: A badass war till the end or someone getting KTFO... big time.

For the March 3 UFC it looks like your wish may come true. I read that Matt Hughes specifically asked for Diego Sanchez for the march 3 UFC. I would love to see this fight happen. This time ill be rooting for Matt. I really would love to see Diego get his 1st loss.

Thank the MMA gods!

O man.... I cant wait. Diego CANNOT muscle around Hughes like his other opponents. Hughes is too good for Diego to just take mount on him like all of Diego's other fights (Riggs doesnt count...that poor bastard is cursed).

Holy shit I cant wait.

Ive also read that Matt Hughes might be fighting Chris "Lights Out" Lytle.

That would be an awesome match up! What a joke. From what i hear Matt wants Diego, Diego wants Matt. Why not give both the fighters and the fans what they want.

according to UFCJUNKIE.com

UFC 68: MARCH 3, 2007 — Columbus, Ohio (Nationwide Arena)

Tim Sylvia vs. Randy Couture

Matt Hughes vs. Chris Lytle

Rich Franklin vs. Jason MacDonald

Jon Fitch vs. Luigi Fioravanti

Mike Swick vs. Yushin Okami

David Heath vs. Matt Hamill

Martin Kampmann vs. Drew McFedries

Joe Stevenson vs. Caol Uno

Assuerio Silva vs. TBA

Rex Holman vs. TBA*

* — We reported yesterday that Holman was signed by the UFC. He’ll likely be a replacement for one of the above fighters. We’re still waiting for the official word.

The Ultimate Fighter 5: Three Possible Cast Members Revealed

Joe LauzonThe following update for the The Ultimate Fighter 5 got pushed side because of yesterday’s flurry of news. Anyway it appears three new cast members for the new season of the UFC’s and Spike TV’s reality series have been revealed.

The show, which debuts April 5, will feature 16 155-pound fighters vying for a UFC contract and other perks. UFC veterans Jens Pulver and B.J. Penn will coach the lightweights.

And according to MMAWeekly.com, that group of hopefuls will include Matt Wilman, Dan Lauzon and Nathan Diaz.

(Last month, I mentioned that Dwayne Shelton may also be a cast member.)

At one time, the buzz was that the show would feature eight newcomers and eight veterans. It can’t be confirmed if that’s still the case, but according to the good folks at UFCmania.com, it appears anyone with less than two UFC fights was eligible to become a cast member.

The three rumored fighters we just mentioned all fit the bill:

* Matt Wiman (6-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC), 23, fought primarily in the Oklahoma-cased Extreme Fighting League before making his debut at UFC 60. There, he suffered a brutal second-round KO via flying knee, which was delivered by Spencer Fisher. Wiman, however, accepted the fight with just nine days’ notice, so it’s nice to see him get a second chance with the UFC. He first trained with UFC veteran Mikey Burnett and now holds a blue belt in jiu-jitsu.

* Dan Lauzon (3-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC), 18, also lost to Spencer Fisher in his only UFC bout (UFC 64). The younger brother of UFC fighter Joe Lauzon (he’s the guy who upset Jens Pulver at UFC 63) is the youngest fighter ever to appear in a UFC event. Prior to his UFC debut, he scored three consecutive submission victories via choke.

* Nathan Diaz (5-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC), 21, is the younger brother of UFC veteran Nick Diaz and a frequent participant in the World Extreme Cagefighting events. I’ve seen his height listed from 5-8 to 6-1, and regardless, he’s a pretty big 155-pounder. The Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu fighter lost to UFC veteran Hermes Franca in his most recent fight (WEC 24)

The series’ live finale is expected to take place June 23 and will feature a main event of Penn vs. Pulver. The fighters met once before, at UFC 35 in January 2002, with Pulver winning a razor-thing majority decision.

The first episode of The Ultimate Fighter 5 will be preceeded by UFC Fight Night 9.

This entry was posted on Thursday, January 18th, 2007 at 11:45 am and is filed under B.J. Penn, Jens Pulver, The Ultimate Fighter 5, Dwayne Shelton, Matt Wiman, Dan Lauzon, Nathan Diaz. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Im pretty excited about the next season of The Ultimate Fighter. Being a little guy I love to watch the little guys go at it. More exciting IMO. Anyways itll be great to watch.

Whats the overall thought about Jens Pulver Vs BJ Penn fighting in the finale? I do like stand up fighting, which will be Jens specialty, but i have a special love for the ground fighters, obviously that would be BJ. Both have said they will not lose this fight. Itll be over there dead body. So its gonna be an all out war. In the end i think ill be rooting for BJ on this one.

I just found an article with a quote from Chris Lytle saying he is fighting Matt Hughes. This makes me sad because IMO Hughes vs Sanchez would be a awesome fight. Either by Matt pounding the poo out of Diego or Sanchez getting the upset win and proving he deserves a title shot.

http://ufcmania.com/2007/01/07/lytle-confirms-showdown-with-hughes-at-ufc-68/

Im glad Matt has decided to take a "tune up fight" before his rubber match with GSP. I really dont like when somebody gets the title and they're next match is with the exact same person. IE Silva VS Arlovski. Granted GSP vs Matt Sera isnt a fantastic match up in my eyes, still seeing him fight someone else will be great. Also Matt Hughes VS Chris Lytle...talk about a tune up fight. Im not quite sure why Matt would even want this fight. Maybe he just wants to fight without so much pressure on his back..i dunno.

yeah i don't know why hughes is fighting chris lytle. no disrespect to lytle, but the next would line would definitely be either karo parysian or diego sanchez. both of those fighters certainly deserve to have the chance against hughes, and possibly advance to the championship. the only thing i can think of is that it would be better for business (bigger PPV dollars) if matt hughes was certain to fight GSP for a 3rd time, which would not happen if he lost to karo or diego. so they don't want to risk a loss and a lose a huge PPV event, GSP vs. Hughes 3.

i am also excited about the lightweights showing up in season 5 of TUF. the lightweights always bring the action, and there is alot of talent in that division. as a matter of fact, i think the fight i want to see the most on thursday's fight night is Hermes Franca vs. Spencer Fisher. close second on the list would be Heath Herring vs. Jake O' Brein.

hey, just heard also fighting at UFC 67 is undefeated Ryoto Machida, who has already beaten some big names like Stephan Bonnar, Rich Franklin, and BJ Penn. maybe they'll hype up a rematch between him and Rich Franklin in the coming months.

yeah i don't know why hughes is fighting chris lytle. no disrespect to lytle, but the next would line would definitely be either karo parysian or diego sanchez. both of those fighters certainly deserve to have the chance against hughes, and possibly advance to the championship. the only thing i can think of is that it would be better for business (bigger PPV dollars) if matt hughes was certain to fight GSP for a 3rd time, which would not happen if he lost to karo or diego. so they don't want to risk a loss and a lose a huge PPV event, GSP vs. Hughes 3.

You brought up some good points. Mainly that IF Matt Hughes was to lose to Diego Sanchez or Karo Parisyan that would take him out of title contention, so i guess Chris Lytle really is a tune up fight. If thats the case i think thats pretty lame. If Chris is just suppose to be a tune up fight, i hope he knocks Matt out. Not that there is a high chance of that happening but hey it could happen.

"After he gets in there with me and i knock him out, he may want to go back to japan or some place where the competition is a little easier." Chris Leben before getting knocked out by Anderson Silva

I hope leben enjoyed japan

oh yeah, i remember when he said that! haha, oh that was bad. silva really made him eat his words.

i saw this commercial on tv the other day for the upcoming ufc fight night. pazois you might find it familiar, you posted this hilight before. "the kiss heard round the world".

Live UFC Fight Night coverage from Hollywood, FL

by Dave Meltzer

Welcome to our live coverage of UFC Fight night from the Seminole Hard Rock in Hollywood, FL.

We're looking for your thoughts on the show, so you can leave a thumbs up, thumbs down or thumbs in the middle along with a best and worst match to [email protected].

Thanks to Brian Fritz and others for prelim reports:

Rich Clementi b Ross Pointon with a choke at the end of the second round. Most of the fight was standing, with Clementi getting the best of it, particularly using leg kicks. He finally went for a takedown late in the second round and got a rear naked choke.

Din Thomas b Clay Guida by unanimous 29-28 scores after three rounds. Was told it will be a shame if this doesn't air, but because it went the distance, it is unlikely to air. Thomas dominated the stand-up, but Guida took him down frequently and it was a close action-packed fight.

First round went to Guida, who did damage with ground and pound. Second went to Thomas with his boxing. He was taken down once but defended better. Third round both were tired and it was all standing. Guida tried many takedowns and couldn't get any. Was told the round could have gone either way. Have now talked with three people who were at the show, all three had it for Thomas, but all three said very close and the best match on the undercard.

Tentative match is Diego Sanchez vs. Josh Koscheck on the 4/7 PPV.

Ed Herman b Chris Price in the first round with an armbar.

Josh Burkman b Chad Reiner by unanimous decision by scores of 29-28, 29-28 and 30-27. Burkman got takedowns in every round. He also pulled off a cool looking German suplex in round one. Told he was the clear-cut winner here.

Nathan Marquardt b Dean Lister by unanimous decision by scores of 30-27, 30-25 and 30-25.

Complete domination by Marquardt who gave Lister a terrible beating. Marquardt knocked Lister down several times and would just let him get up. Even when it was on the ground, Marquardt was on top giving Lister a beating. In the third round, Marquardt knocked him down twice with knees. Lister was hanging on most of the feet but never damaged quite bad enough to have it stopped.

Spencer Fisher vs. Hermes Franca in the TV opener is up now.

First round saw Franca get two takedowns and went for a heel submission. Fisher was better on the stand-up. Very close round until the last 30 seconds when Franca did some damage with his ground and pound so I have him winning the round.

Second round was a surprise. Franca got a takedown early but after a stand-up, it was like a pro vs. amateur in boxing as Franca throws crazy arm punches, turns his head, basically does everything wrong. Then Franca threw this crazy windmill arm punch and knocked Fisher him silly. Franca then unloaded with punch after punch before it was stopped. Not a big upset, but something of an upset, but I'd have never thought Franca would take it by punches.

Franca did the Terry Funk getting on his knees and begged Dana White for a title shot. He learned it from St. Pierre.

Hulk Hogan & Brooke were at ringside.

Heath Herring vs. Jake O'Brien is next. Trivia note: Herring & Terry Funk once formed a tag team on a Tokyo Dome show.

Herring knocked O'Brien down once, but O'Brien ended up on top and was working for a choke. After Herring escaped, O'Brien scored a strong takedown and outwrestled him for the rest of the round. O'Brien took the round and he was supposed to be the guy to lose.

Herring gassed and he's getting tooled on the ground. O'Brien took him down twice, swept him once, got his back a few times and Herring is just looking bad here. Even Joe Rogan is ripping on Herring for his lack of sprawl and ground defense. 20-18 for O'Brien at this point. Herring is bleeding from the left eye from an elbow.

Crowd hated this fight because they wanted to see Herring punch, but O'Brien kept taking him down. He largely schooled him again. Herring did get a few punches in late, but not enough to overcome O'Brien taking him down several times, and reversing, getting the mount, his back, etc. Any score but 30-27 would be a mistake.

Scores were 29-28, 30-27 and 30-27. Fans booed him and booed the decision. Not sure if they just didn't see the fight or were just unhappy that it was largely wrestling. Herring complained that he was trying to entertain the fans and give them a fight and O'Brien beat him in a wrestling match. I think he was hoping for more stand-up calls. You know, if you don't want takedowns when you see MMA, and you don't want the fight to go to the ground, there is a sport called kickboxing.

They are going to air Ed Herman vs. Chris Price before the main event. It was the only prelim fight short enough.

Rashad Evans vs. Sean Salmon is next.

Salmon scored a few takedowns, which wasn't a surprise, but also connected with the best punches to win the round. Salmon thus far is the better wrestler and Evans looks confused as to what to do. But Salmon may be more tired.

Early in the second round Evans threw a right high kick to the side of the head for what will end up being one of this year's highlight knockout clips. Salmon dropped like a a tree.