Ultimate Fighting

all in all, that was one of the best PPV's i've seen in a long time. every fight was great! i wasn't expecting Cote knocking out Grove either. i was also impressed with Joe Stevenson vs. Kurt Pellegrino fight. lots of action, the first two rounds were close in my opinion. but the last round was all Stevenson, and the reason he won the fight. he was relentless in the last round.

how about Roger Huerta using the giant screens in the arena to help land those elbows? that was something i had never seen before. it was imaginitive and effective. after this win, Huerta really needs to step up and fight some more established fighters. everyone he has fought in the UFC has been making there octagon debut. he needs to start moving up, fight someone like Clay Guida or Tyson Griffin.

GSP was back on track last night. its good to see him get that fire back. i was hoping for a knockout or submission, but it's enough that he was so dominating. easily took the decision.

Gonzaga gets respect for continueing to fight after Randy broke his nose. and he landed some good kicks that looked they stunned Randy a bit. but for the most part, it was all Randy Courture's night again. he stunned Gonzaga early with his punch combos, and then lifted and slammed all 250 lbs of Gonzaga. awesome display of MMA from both fighters, but Randy still has the belt. TKO in the 3rd round due to ground and pound. Randy is awesome.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you hear Gonzaga broke Randys arm with that high kick that Randy blocked with his left arm? I guess Randy didnt even know it was broken for a few days.

http://www.cagetoday.com/ufc-news-randy-couture-breaks-his-arm-at-ufc-74/

According to the fightnetwork, UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy “The Natural” Couture suffered a fracture on his left forearm during the fight with Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 74. The small fracture is called a Nightstick Fracture, because their is no displacement in the bone, a cast will not be required. The doctors are telling Couture that the fracture will reattach itself in about one and a half weeks.

“Randy Couture was informed Sunday by doctors that he’d broken his arm during his third round TKO stoppage of Gabriel Gonzaga. Couture sustained the injury Saturday blocking a Gonzaga right high kick with his left forearm, cleanly separating the ulna bone…. The injury placed the UFC heavyweight champion’s arm in a splint for six weeks. The appendage will not need a cast.”

“It’s not displaced, so the doctors think it will reattach in about a week and a half,” said Couture, who embarks on a South African adventure to shoot a leading role in major motion picture “The Scorpion King – The Akkadian”

Topics: News, UFC |

Also because of Babalu's refusal to let go of that choke he has now been officially let go from his contract with the UFC. IMO complete bullshit.

Embroiled in controversy after refusing to relinquish a choke that rendered David Heath (Pictures) unconscious last Saturday at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, light heavyweight Renato "Babalu" Sobral (Pictures) was released from his UFC contract, the organization's chief Dana White confirmed during a conference call with media Thursday.

In the second round of a bloody fight, "Babalu" elicited a tap after applying an anaconda choke against the weakened fighter from Tulsa, Okla. Yet the 31-year-old Brazilian, who one year ago suffered an early first-round knockout loss in a title challenge against then-champion Chuck Liddell (Pictures), refused to acknowledge referee Steve Mazzagatti's repeated efforts to separate the pair.

"He blew it," White said.

Though the arena wasn't more than half-full at the time of the preliminary fight, boos cascaded throughout the building, first for Mazzagatti's decision to allow Heath (7-2) to continue despite taking repeated shots to the head while covered in his own blood, and second for Sobral's antics immediately after the fight, when the veteran told UFC's Joe Rogan he intentionally held onto the choke because Heath, also 31, called him a "motherf---er" at Friday's weigh-in.

"I think you saw the response from the fans," White said. "'Babalu' was a fan favorite. They turned on him immediately."

Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer immediately withheld $25,000 from "Babalu" -- the win portion of his $50,000 purse. Kizer met backstage with Sobral (28-7) and his manager to discuss the incident, at which time the NSAC executive director recalled the fighter saying, "I'm taught even if you feel the fighter tap, you don't release," a far different tune than the one he sang in the cage.

According to Kizer, Sobral also suggested he didn't want Heath to "'Matt Lindland (Pictures)' me with a false tap," alluding to Lindland's UFC middleweight championship bout in 2002 against Murilo Bustamante (Pictures) when the wrestler appeared to tap because of an armbar. The fight continued after Lindland denied quitting.

"I think if he had an arm, or a knee or an ankle, I think he should never fight in this sport ever again," the UFC president said.

Sobral's immediate future outside the UFC will be determined Friday, when the NSAC convenes for a hearing in Las Vegas at which time the issue of the now free-agent fighter's refusal to comply with Mazzagatti will be heard.

"Egregiousness" of the infraction and "referee involvement" were determining factors in Kizer's decision to put the issue before the commission, the executive director told Sherdog.com.

Sobral and his camp have declined to comment about the incident, saying they'd prefer to address the issue in front of the commission.

Ok assuming Hendo beats Rampage does anybody else think he'll go after Anderson Silva? I mean to me its a logical choice and would be a great fight. Although there is quite a bit of competition in the 205 lb weight class so he might be a bit busy defending the 205 title (assuming he beats Rampage).

i heard about Babalu. i saw the fight online before it was yanked away. very bloody match. Babalu held the choke a little too long, but nothing i havent seen before. and i have never seen any action like this taken on anybody. i figure they might have given him a suspension, but never getting fired. for the violation, i think it was a little too severe. it's not like Babalu went all Mark Coleman pushing referrees around (against Shogun Rua). i guess the UFC is just making an example out of him.

have you read Babalu's official statement?

UFC 75... most of the fights were pretty good. Anyone else think the Bisping-Hamill fight was a little fishy? I mean, I've seen questionable decisions in the UFC in the past (Joe Stephenson's win UFC74 for instance) but this seemed a little over-the-top WWE to me. I think it was total BS aimed at nothing more than grabbing a bigger base of British fans. I know that the fighting world is full of fight-fixing (that's how I came to fight a 190lb guy with a 12-0 record at my own club - I was 139 at the time, muay thai, long story but at least I didn't get knocked out) but this was really blatant. Hamill maybe lost the 3rd round, maybe, but he definitely won the first two. I've lost what little respect for the UFC I had. It totally overshadowed the title fight. I didn't even care about Rampage/Henderson. Hamill knew he won the fight, that's why he didn't leave the ring. And Bisping must have known all he had to do was survive and it would go his way with at least 2 of the judges (one of the judges scored it 30-27 for Hamill - hmmm.) I know Hamill couldn't finish Bisping, but I didn't think you could win a fight by backing away and landing only a handful of strikes. Hamill had, what, 5 legit take downs? I'm just mad. I would dl the fight and watch it again, but it'll just get me all upset. Instead I'm just going to hit the bag extra heavy tomorrow.

I TOTALLY agree..

Matt hamill won that fight.

From what i can see, it seems there's some favoritism in the ufc towards michael bisping, and the fact that they are portraying him as some U.K. representative is stupid. Not one person even doubted the decision in any way. All Joe rogan said to matt was that his stand up looked a bit improved..

Trev is right on the mark. It is as if soneone walked over to Rogan at the begginning of the 3rd round and said, dont forget Bisping wins this fight. Rogan was all over hamill for the first 2 rounds. then suddnenly the "Brilliance" of Bisping strategy emerges.

I think that Crocop has a big problem. Its called people backing him up and bullying him. The first guy he fought (i didnt see the first fight) by all accounts was afraid of Crocop, the next two fighters were not. I atleast wnated to see the big kicks, but not from Cheik Congo!!!

I liked the henderson/ junk yard dog fight. With a few more weeks of training with 5 5 minute rounds instead of 10 and 5 minutes, hendersen would have done better. He did better then Liddell did. I think great for a guy who came up from middleweight.

CAnt wait for TUF

Every MMA forum is buzzing with the Bisping-Hamill controversy. It seems almost everyone in the world who saw that fight thought it was BS. It'll be interesting to see what the UFC's reaction will be. Dana White can't just ignore this - he has to address it. There are a lot of angry UFC fans. Some forums are calling on everyone to inundate the UFC's complaint box about it. Like so many I've heard say now, I'll never again pay for a UFC ppv. They are a BS organization, and are going to destroy the credibility of MMA. This ruins the sport for the fighters, the organizations and the fans whose money keeps it alive.

At least most of the fights were good - Houston Alexander again! The title fight wasn't bad at all - I agree that Hendo seemed to still be stuck in the Pride format in his mind/conditioning. He'll find his UFC feet and do some winning I'm sure. Crocop was disappointing. Since Gonzaga I think every heavyweight's got his number - he can't fight opponents who aren't afraid of him. Cheick totally disarmed him and controlled the fight. I just can't wait until Bisping has to fight for real. He's no contender at 205. I'd like to see him in the ring with Houston Alexander... I bet he'll drop down to 185 before he gets his a$$ handed to him at 205.

Every MMA forum is buzzing with the Bisping-Hamill controversy. It seems almost everyone in the world who saw that fight thought it was BS. It'll be interesting to see what the UFC's reaction will be. Dana White can't just ignore this - he has to address it. There are a lot of angry UFC fans. Some forums are calling on everyone to inundate the UFC's complaint box about it. Like so many I've heard say now, I'll never again pay for a UFC ppv. They are a BS organization, and are going to destroy the credibility of MMA. This ruins the sport for the fighters, the organizations and the fans whose money keeps it alive.

At least most of the fights were good - Houston Alexander again! The title fight wasn't bad at all - I agree that Hendo seemed to still be stuck in the Pride format in his mind/conditioning. He'll find his UFC feet and do some winning I'm sure. Crocop was disappointing. Since Gonzaga I think every heavyweight's got his number - he can't fight opponents who aren't afraid of him. Cheick totally disarmed him and controlled the fight. I just can't wait until Bisping has to fight for real. He's no contender at 205. I'd like to see him in the ring with Houston Alexander... I bet he'll drop down to 185 before he gets his a$$ handed to him at 205.

I agree about Bisping, I also thought it was interesting that during the first two rounds Rogan was saying that Bisping should go down to 185 as Hamill was out pointing him and taking him down at will.. I looked at that statement as a way for Rogan to make a concession on Bisping's part, for what I thought would have been his clear lose.

Yeah, I don't really like either Hamill or Bisping. After this I lost all respect for Bisping, and I gained a little empathy for Hamill. I just can't stand seeing such blatant unfairness and crookedness. I'm going to watch the fight again with a more level head and see if it looks any different. I may even mute it so I'm not swayed by Joe Rogan!

Suz and I watched the fight again this evening and it only solidified my feelings. Bisping scarcely scored a point in the first two rounds, and, while he did land some good strikes, I thought he lost the 3rd too. Rogan even had a &*%$#^-eating grin on his face when he interviewed Bisping at the end and he kept looking to someone on the side for assurance. The whole thing definitely smells very strongly.

Hamill took it in stride. I guess what else could he do? Dana's got him by the fightshorts - he speaks up, no career, he shuts up, maybe he'll get another decent fight in the UFC. I bet we won't see him for a while tho.

well I hope he comes back real soon. He does have alot of potential. I mean the last fight I saw him in his stand up was garbage! He did a great job of keeping his hands up this fight which is something I noticed he had a real problem with. Not bad for only having a total of 6 pro fights.

Does anybody think Jardine has a chance against Liddell?

No I dont. Although it is true that as the promo says , they are both on their way up the ladders after loses, Liddell lost to Rampage. I still think that aside from Rampage, Liddell just needs to hit you once and your in trouble. Jardine seems slower to me, and requires more hits. I like jardine, I am just saying that Liddell is going to be hot after that loss.

just wanted to chime in with my opinion. i was completely shocked when they announced Bisping the winner of that fight. i would easily give Hamill the first two rounds, and maybe even the third. i don't see how anyone could see that fight as a win for Bisping. i think they just didn't want him to lose in front of his hometown crowd.

i liked both of these guys before the fight. but after the post fight interviews, i lost a little respect for Bisping and gained a lot more for Hammill. Bisping's comment that Matt should "go back to wrestling" was ridiculous after he had his ass handed to him for three rounds. i didn't like the way he went crazy acting like he won that fight. Matt Hamill showed a lot of grace in defeat, especially with him and his corner (and everyone else) knowing he won that fight.

i think Michael Bisping vs. Houston Alexander is a great idea!

as far as this weekend goes, i am looking more forward to Shogun vs. Forrest Griffin than i am to the main event, Liddell vs. Jardine.

Did anyone watch fight night live, before the UF premiere?

Did anyone really enjoy the first round of the first fight, when the audio was out and you didnt have to listen to the Bobsy twins?

Just hearing the arena and the fighters moving around the cage was really like being there. I really liked it.

About 20 years ago , NBC ran a pro football game on TV and did not have the color or announcer on . They did it to see if the public liked it better then having the talking heads on . It didnt work , however I do think it would work in this case, and with these two announcers. I am just really tried of Rogan and Goldberg.

Did anyone really enjoy the first round of the first fight, when the audio was out and you didnt have to listen to the Bobsy twins?

Just hearing the arena and the fighters moving around the cage was really like being there. I really liked it.

I agree 100%. It took me about half the round realize I wasn't being distracted by them - I said to my wife - "where's Goldie?" and she said "oh yeah!". I don't mind Goldie and Rogan, but I found it much more enjoyable without them. I might turn down the volume from now on. And put some Tool on.