Groin issues

seitan_forker

So since picking up running a few years ago, I had become pretty good at it. My left knee had started giving me issues, but I was still able to bag a sub-20 5K in May. Then I decided to start going to the gym again and fell back in love with weightlifting. I had a great lower body session the other day, including hitting up the squat rack for the first time in ages. Then I went to run yesterday morning and my groin exploded. I thought I was going to have to crawl home initially, but I walked it off and made it through my work day - the entirety of which is spent on my feet. It feels better now, so what do I do going forward? Has anybody else had this issue? Is it possible to balance both? I've always heard excessive cardio is the enemy of #gainz.

• 4 months later...

It does not sound like you have an inguinal hernia as you do not describe a bulge and you had a normal ultrasound. Sports hernia evaluation requires some poking and prodding to make the diagnosis and sometimes an MRI can help determine the best course of action. If your range of motion in the hip in internal and external rotation seems normal and equal to the opposite side, osteoarthritis would seem unlikely. Osteitis pubis is usually tender in the midline of the pubic bone about where your bladder sits.

While you are healing, you should continue to address your core strength and also spend some time on gluteus muscle strength. In addition to your strength, if your kinetic chain motion is not normal, you will be a set up for another groin injury. You should consider having your mechanics checked through the leg and pelvis to correct any muscle imbalances that may have contributed to or be a result of the injury. (Is the painful groin the culprit or the victim?) You should also check to make sure your pelvis is level and you have good motion through the SI joints and lumbar spine. Your doctor may be able to do this for you or send you to a PT who can do the evaluation. You may also need additional imaging to find the root cause of your problem.