Abs: Weighted (low reps), or unweighted (high reps)???

For developing a six pack, which is best:

Doing weighted ab exercises (low reps but high intensity)

OR

No weights (High reps)????

Multiple sets?

I've also read that you should NOT work your obliques if u want to develop a V-taper... True????

Whats the best ab workout?

I know that nutrition has a lot to do with abs, but I'm concerned with NOT bulking the abs.. just streamlining them, keeping the waist slim/sleek, and developing a v-taper, as well as a pronounced 6-pack.

I read recently that bicycle crunches are best for developing a six-pack. I've been doing them and they are killing me (which, of course is a good thing). Easier on your back too. Recommended.

Edited by SAW

LOL.... awesome, I'll incorporate those into my workout!

How many reps/sets do u do?

I usually do 1set of 30... but I usually do a lot of different exercises. Or, I'll do 3 sets/30 reps of a circuit of core work (rectus, oblique, erector spinane)

to give an example.....donovan bailey... this guy runs all day and does continues crunches with no weight at max speed and as many reps as possible .... runs > crunches > runs > crunches ... thats his routine... so you gatta think something about that plan is looking into eh?

the thing about abs and weights..... im not a big fan of that, abs dont come out by getting more muscle, they come out by losing the fat surrounding them......and the way to do that is cardio ....... if you run, you'll get cut abs its pretty much guaranteed

and the thing about obliques, in my view, you dont need to work then at all..... everytime u bend or twist or whatnot you're engaging your obliques and in my view you can get size on there if you're using weight........ i say just run, crunches, and like standing bends from side to side

heres a pic of donovan bailey

http://donovanbailey.com/images/gallery/pg73.jpg

to give an example.....donovan bailey... this guy runs all day and does continues crunches with no weight at max speed and as many reps as possible .... runs > crunches > runs > crunches ... thats his routine... so you gatta think something about that plan is looking into eh?

Hmm, where did you get this info? To me it sounds a bit strange with a worldclass track and field athlete that doesnt use weights in his training .

the thing about abs and weights..... im not a big fan of that, abs dont come out by getting more muscle, they come out by losing the fat surrounding them......and the way to do that is cardio .......

I would agree, its mostly cardio and diet.

if you run, you'll get cut abs its pretty much guaranteed

Well, it also depends on how much you eat .

and the thing about obliques, in my view, you dont need to work then at all..... everytime u bend or twist or whatnot you're engaging your obliques and in my view you can get size on there if you're using weight........ i say just run, crunches, and like standing bends from side to side

I would think all core muscles are important to work because you'll need a strong core for those heavy squats and deadlifts.

Hmm, where did you get this info? To me it sounds a bit strange with a worldclass track and field athlete that doesnt use weights in his training .

o im not saying he doesnt i bet he does use weights but i just mean for this ab routine.... i took these training classes for personal trainer while back and the teacher said all the guy does for abs was running and massive amounts of reps for abs.......but w/e i could be wrong but it does make sence since hes a sprinter why would he use heavy weights for his kind of sport?

I would think all core muscles are important to work because you'll need a strong core for those heavy squats and deadlifts.

true..... so get a on ball and sit on it all day instead of a chair ..... it'll work your stabilizers likes theres no tomorrow which is what you're saying is important right??

o im not saying he doesnt i bet he does use weights but i just mean for this ab routine.... i took these training classes for personal trainer while back and the teacher said all the guy does for abs was running and massive amounts of reps for abs.......

Sounds like rumours to me .

but w/e i could be wrong but it does make sence since hes a sprinter why would he use heavy weights for his kind of sport?

Well, to build strong abs perhaps? For sprinters explosive power is very important, and as far as I know lifting heavy weights are essential to achieve that. But Im not claiming to be an expert on track and field training so I could be wrong.

true..... so get a on ball and sit on it all day instead of a chair ..... it'll work your stabilizers likes theres no tomorrow which is what you're saying is important right??

No I said an allaround strong core is important for heavy squats and deadlifts. Sitting on a stabilizer ball all day will build a strong core about as much as running will get you a strong squat .

The moustache man makes many good points.

Explosive work is a necessity for sprinters. For instance, olympic lifters are actually faster that olympic sprinters over the first 25m.

It is, IMO, more important to exercise the obliques than the rectus abdominus, as they have a more important stabilising role. This helps to prevent back injuries (in any situation, not just lifting) and will allow you move more weight.

I also disagree that losing fat is key to gaining a 6-pack. If you have larger muscles underneath the fat, they will show more than smaller muscles. For instance, I have about 1.4x as much fat on my belly than my brother, but my 6-pack is much more defined (not that it is that defined at the moment! )

Jonathan

See, this is what I hate about health/fitness..... there are SO many theories out there! It's difficult to decifer the truth from the hype. I guess it's all a matter of trial and error and essentially, what works best for you as an individual.

What I've found from personal experience is working my abs everyday, doing multiple reps/set, as well as working all 3 main core muscle groups (rectus, obliques, erector spinae). Also, sucking in your gut all day keep the tension on the muscles and "trains" then to stay flat.

I think that using weight is ok every once in a while, but if u do it all the time, u'll built more bulk than a streamlined/sleek torso.

That's just my two-cents.

I think that using weight is ok every once in a while, but if u do it all the time, u'll built more bulk than a streamlined/sleek torso.

I agree, using lower reps/higher weights is probably more effective for gaining musclemass, in the torso as well as the rest of the body .

Depends on what kind of abs you want, IMO. If you want each segment of the rectus to bulge out, as with some cover models in Oxygen magazine, then higher resistance with fewer reps will build the muslce.

If you want more of a lean, flatter look (more of a 'vertcal two-pack") then it works best to use less weight, more reps, and do moves like planks and 'dead bugs" (lying on your back, with arms and legs in the air, moving one leg and opposite arm out while maintaining your core stability by using your transverse abdominals especially) . Planks, especially, will give you stong abs without adding bulk.

I personally don't find the 'every segment of the abdominals visible and protruding' look attractive on women. It sometimes looks to me almost like I'm seeing intestines!

I have been doing the bicycle crunch more often and it is effective! As for adding weight to the bicycle crunch, u could wear ankle weights and/or hold a weight plate behind your head.

One of my buddies does all his ab work on his bed. He says that he gets a better workout due to the fact that the bed sinks in, thus giving u more range-of-motion than the floor or a mat. I tried it this AM, and it was definitely more difficult. But, u must push your pelvis downwards into the bed..... this works your lower abs really well! Try it and let me know what u think