Recovery time?

SAW

I see a lot of discussion on rebuilding, recovering, etc., and I'm curious what symptoms indicate that more time is needed? When someone says they need a lot of time to recover, what do they mean exactly? Laying on couch in pain? A lot of soreness? A little soreness? Is it generally okay to train again if I'm just a little sore, or is that a no-no? Please advise...

I think the best way to know is to experiment and see how your body responds. Try training again when you're still sore and see what happens, and try resting until you feel really rested before you train again, and try a routine that is somewhere in between. See what leaves you feeling the best mentally and choose the plan that comes most naturally for you. Some people will tell you "Oh yeah, you have to rest X amount of days. That's best way to do it." But really what they mean is that it is the best way for them, and not necessarily for you

I see a lot of discussion on rebuilding, recovering, etc., and I'm curious what symptoms indicate that more time is needed? When someone says they need a lot of time to recover, what do they mean exactly? Laying on couch in pain? A lot of soreness? A little soreness? Is it generally okay to train again if I'm just a little sore, or is that a no-no? Please advise...

One good indication that a muscle hasn't recovered enough is that you can't lift as heavy as the last workout.

Recovery isn't just lying around doing nothing, but not doing intense trainning for that particular muscle. It's actually somewhat beneficial to do some type of movement, like light cardio or yoga. And this is why split routines are so good.

Will is right on. I'd say find what works for you, and take into account how hard you are doing your workouts.

Generally speaking, I find that it takes 48 hours to fully recover from an intense workout if my body is in decent shape. When I do strength training in preparation for a cycling season, I go three days per week alternating days. This ensures optimum recovery. Sometimes if I'm ultrasore, I'll take an extra day off (2 days total), and I find that works wonders. I'm a big believer in rest, and I've overtrained a number of times in my early years. But I usually find--if I don't overdo it in the gym--that if I do a workout Monday, Wednesday I'm a little sore still but have full power and the workout actually feels good. That's usually how I gauge it.