Dragonbooating, other rowing?

Anyone out there do any boating? Dragonboating season is gearing up - should be out on the water in a couple weeks - I can't WAIT! I also enjoy kayaking (touring rather than whitewater - I'm a big chicken )

Just wondered if anyone else here was on the water at all...

• 9 months later...

I used to row and scull but not competitively. I didn't want to embarrass the others by trouncing them.

I started doing it after reading Three Men In A Boat. I wanted to recreate their journey on the 100th anniversary of the book's publication. I couldn't get anyone to go with me despite advertising on the notice boards of two rowing clubs and in the local paper. Unadventurous stick-in-the-muds.

I continued to lark about on the river for a year or two and thoroughly enjoyed it. I gave it up because the river my club was on was an open sewer and I didn't fancy falling in.

I would like to go on a nice clean river in a canoe or coracle. I have thought of making my own coracle.

I hope you enjoy your dragonboating.

• 2 months later...

Where i am at Philadelphia, there is an area on the Schuykill river that has a number of historic boathouses. I've been wanting to join one of them. The price is right and there's classes. My only concern is the cleanliness of the water. I've walked by and over many times , and , though it's not garbage or sewage strewn, it is dark, brown, and murky. Is falling in the water actually a problem for most !?

You should never fall when rowing...kayaking in white water is different but not in that river. It shouldn't be an issue...and yes I really love that place even though its dirty

No but I went to LaSalle and we had one of the best mens teams in the Nation...they upset all the IVY leagers at nationals. I was interested but I was on the track team