Too much soy??

Ive been taking a soy protein shake which is giving me about 50 grams of protein per shake. And i take a shake before and one right after. Anyways just today one of my friends told me that alot of people get sick from eating too much soy protein. And he recommended that i use hemp protein shakes instead. Anybody shed some light on this. Id greatly appreciate it.

There is just so much controversy over soy. I stopped using it because I don't think soy in isolated form is healthy. I avoid protein powders in excess, but when I do take protein, it is something other than soy.

I like HEMP, COMBO:Hemp, Brazil nut, or RICE proteins -- all of these are minimally processed and raw. Soy protein isolates are highly processed.

I think some here take pea protein, but I don't have a source for it.

Here is Dr.McDougall's take on it:

http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/040100puproteinoverload.htm

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/april/050400pusoy.htm

There is just so much controversy over soy. I stopped using it because I don't think soy in isolated form is healthy.

I agree.

I used to eat a lot of soy, but I've cut out most isolates/concentrates, and occasionally have soy milk, tofu, tempeh or beans (edamame, black soy, etc.)

As Raven said, pea protein is good, hemp protein is better. There are also some pea/rice combo proteins that are good.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish we had hemp/pea/rice protein here (Portugal).

I wonder if Twin Labs - Vege Fuell it's vegan. It's isolated soy protein (highly processed I suppose ). It costs around $40 in Portugal, ahhaaahah.

Unfortunately we don't have access to Vega here; I suppose it's only available in Canada and USA (maybe even the UK?).

My point is; I don't think we have many options around here (vegan ones anyway) when it comes to powder and bars. I'll have to make intense field research. But then, maybe I should keep natural and don't waste time on this.

I wish we had hemp/pea/rice protein here (Portugal).

I wonder if Twin Labs - Vege Fuell it's vegan. It's isolated soy protein (highly processed I suppose ). It costs around $40 in Portugal, ahhaaahah.

Unfortunately we don't have access to Vega here; I suppose it's only available in Canada and USA (maybe even the UK?).

My point is; I don't think we have many options around here (vegan ones anyway) when it comes to powder and bars. I'll have to make intense field research. But then, maybe I should keep natural and don't waste time on this.

True you can get plenty of protein easily from foods. For example, if you cook a couple of cups of dried lentils, it's got over 100 grams of protein. If you need more, eat a few handfuls of mixed nuts and you'll get a lot more protein.

I stopped using soy for a while because i was confused by all the articles i was reading. I eat still soy once in a while.

If I remember correctly fermented soy is suppose to be good while unfermented can be dangerous.

Its probably better to have an alternative protein to soy anyways. Its good to have options.

Yes, you can eat beans and greens daily and get more than enough protein! Add greens to smoothies or have a couple cups of beans a day, have some nuts everyday. All this is enough. Protein supplements aren't "needed"; you get enough eating a balanced diet. I recommend Dr. Fuhrman's Eat To Live plan, which outlines an optimal diet that takes care of all your nutritional needs, as well as helps you achieve "nutritional excellence" as he likes to call it

-----

"Basically, the goal of Eat to Live is to eat foods that have a very high nutrition to calorie ratio and avoid foods that don't provide much nutrition for the calories they contain. Fruits and vegetables pack the most nutrition, so the diet is based on them. The goal is to try to eat at least 1 pound daily of raw vegetables; 1 pound of cooked, non-starchy vegetables; 4 servings of fruit; and 1 cup of beans. Those foods are unlimited.

The plan limits other foods: 1 cup maximum of starchy vegetables or whole grains, 1 ounce of raw nuts and seeds, and 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds. All animal products and refined oils are off limits, and refined grain products, such as bread, are not encouraged. After a person has reached a healthy weight, very limited amounts of less-healthy food may be added in (for those who absolutely will not give them up.){raVen's note: and this applies to those who do not need to lose weight, more can be added of any of the limited foods, preferably the healthier ones}

...Dr. Fuhrman says that beans provide more nutrition (not just protein, but micronutrients and phytochemicals) per calorie than grains and potatoes do

...Fuhrman says that the good fats in (unroasted, unsalted) nuts and seeds are important. One more difference is that Fuhrman doesn't limit fruit...

Fuhrman does say to stay away from dried fruit until you've lost all the weight you need to."

-Excerptor from fatfreevegan.com (lots of Fuhrmanesque recipes)

Dr. F. has an excellent blog, called, DISEASE PROOF with tons of free nutritional info and his comments on the latest nutritional news, etc. The archives are an invaluable resource!

Here is Dr. F.'s SITE

• 3 weeks later...

for the record:

there are more phytoestrogens found in dairy milk than in soymilk.

anyway, i dont know much about effect of soy on women....but i can speak for the effect on men:

men only have so many estrogen receptors, and even if completly filled from soymilk phytoestrogens (which by the way you'd have to consume gallons upon gallons everyday and would still never come close), there is no noticeable difference in behavior or body. there is not enough receptors to have any sort of effect on males.

eating a lot of soy everyday is not bad for you. i had gained 30 lbs of pure muscle doing so. my immune system has never been stronger. my thyroid is in perfect order. my blood pressure is text book perfect. i have no digestion problems.

soy protein isolate is 92% absorbable by human body.

meat is 93% absorbable by human body.

------------------------------------

too much of anything is bad for the body. everything is about balance.

so feeding a ton of soy to a growing child who might be effected by phytoestrogens, then yeh it isnt the best thing to do, but moderation is not bad. so dont be giving 200g soy protein shakes to your infant, and youre fine. however feeding a moderate about of soy to your child isnt going to do any harm unless they are allergic to soy.

if scared about soy, and one shouldnt be, try hemp protein.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally don't think it can happen in a reasonable diet. In a typical Asian

diet over 8 times the soy is eaten and even more than that was eaten before the onset of factory farming. Also there are no historical references to problems with soy or their so called side effects assuming they didn't know where they came from. There are however cases of lead and copper poisoning...they didn't know that but the chinese have documented these instances for a couple thousand years...same as the greeks/romans. If soy did any of these things I would imagine people eating way more soy than us would have experienced these side effects in mass.

• 2 weeks later...

There was this one time that I ate a whole packet of soy slices on my own. Out of nowhere this comet landed right on my knee. You might wonder how it could land on my knee, but I was lying down at the time. So there you have it. I needed a splint and a bandage, and I was fine, which everyone knows is how you heal a broken bone in a matter of seconds if you've played metal gear solid 3. Anyway, man, that soy stuff, it certainly does lure comets towards you ending in bone-breaking catastrophe! All the concern is real and totally founded

• 2 months later...

for the record:

there are more phytoestrogens found in dairy milk than in soymilk.

anyway, i dont know much about effect of soy on women....but i can speak for the effect on men:

men only have so many estrogen receptors, and even if completly filled from soymilk phytoestrogens (which by the way you'd have to consume gallons upon gallons everyday and would still never come close), there is no noticeable difference in behavior or body. there is not enough receptors to have any sort of effect on males.

eating a lot of soy everyday is not bad for you. i had gained 30 lbs of pure muscle doing so. my immune system has never been stronger. my thyroid is in perfect order. my blood pressure is text book perfect. i have no digestion problems.

soy protein isolate is 92% absorbable by human body.

meat is 93% absorbable by human body.

too much of anything is bad for the body. everything is about balance.

so feeding a ton of soy to a growing child who might be effected by phytoestrogens, then yeh it isnt the best thing to do, but moderation is not bad. so dont be giving 200g soy protein shakes to your infant, and youre fine. however feeding a moderate about of soy to your child isnt going to do any harm unless they are allergic to soy.

if scared about soy, and one shouldnt be, try hemp protein.

Very cool. But where did you get this information?

I've recently heard soy makes you more susceptible to ghonarrhea, herpes and not winning the lottery...I've just changed my stance and realized that soy is not worth the risk since I get ghonarrhea everytime I sit in a chair in a restaurant, my herpes outbreaks are worse than ever and I've yet to win the lottery on my soy based diet

I recently cut back on my soy by nearly 100%. Soy is very very hard on your thyroid and causes hypothyroidism. If you find that you are gaining unwanted weight, being tired, feeling depressed, cold all the time, or you have dry hands, feet or elbows, cut back on the soy. Also broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflour have the same effect on the thyroid.

• 1 month later...

Are these personal experiences or do you have some references?

I recently cut back on my soy by nearly 100%. Soy is very very hard on your thyroid and causes hypothyroidism. If you find that you are gaining unwanted weight, being tired, feeling depressed, cold all the time, or you have dry hands, feet or elbows, cut back on the soy. Also broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflour have the same effect on the thyroid.

I've recently heard soy makes you more susceptible to ghonarrhea, herpes and not winning the lottery...I've just changed my stance and realized that soy is not worth the risk since I get ghonarrhea everytime I sit in a chair in a restaurant, my herpes outbreaks are worse than ever and I've yet to win the lottery on my soy based diet

Soy is not the evil it's being reported. Many of the sources are from anti-vegetarian "folks." Bryanna Clark Grogan has a an entire page dedicated to it.

As well, I'm currently reading John Robbins's new book, Healthy at 100, and it cites the diet of one group of centenarians who consume an average of two servings of soy -- whole food soy; not protein powders and isolates in fake meats -- a day.

I think a level-headedness needs to prevail in these cases. Soy is still being studied and excess is not recommended; but that's pretty much anything. Soy occasionally is fine within a well-balanced, whole-foods diet. I think isolated soy would be the thing to avoid.