BELLYDANCING

Does anyone count bellydancing as a sport???? I am curently adapting to this...well, one lesson anyway I made the mistake of showing up all in black lycra (and having just taken one of the dogs for a jog had massive latic build up), and I ended up looking like a prey mantis I forgot that they were giving lessons in the aerobics room (the mirrors make you look sooo skinny). I'm looking for something a little different for a routine

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've heard it is good for isolating ab muscles. I would like to try it as well. I dont know where lessons are offered in my area. Maybe I will get a dvd. I have seen a belly dancer perform and they really shake their body so i don't see why that wouldnt be a good workout.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I think it is more of a spectator sport if you know what I mean. I have a bellydancing DVD stashed away somewhere in a box. The woman in the DVD had killer abs, so I assume that bellydancing could be a sport. I think it is more of an art/dance.

One thing I have to say about bellydancing is that it teaches how to do some pretty sexy movements. After doing the dvd a couple of times, I practiced doing some of the movements very, very slowly when I was in my kitchen making something with my boyfriend. It was hilarious watching him get distracted and flustered.

• 7 months later...

Bellydancing can definately be a workout, I am not sure I would classifly it as a sport per se.

I enjoy it and it can be great for all of your muscles as well as cardio. I have done slow dances that were great for building/toning mucsle with slow controlled movements and fast dances that worked my muscles and got my heart going.

It is lots of fun too!

I wouldn't call it a sport unless you do it for competition. You can definitely become athletic doing it though but its not quite a sport. Although not everything competitive is a sport either.