Eat your watermelon!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watermelon is also high in glutathione which helps support the immune system.

From wholehealthmd.com:

"Because of its antioxidant properties, glutathione neutralizes damaging free radicals and peroxide molecules, and recharges oxidized vitamin C so that the body may reuse it. Glutathione is required for a variety of metabolic processes. In addition, glutathione bolsters the structure of body proteins and assists in the transport of amino acids across cell membranes."

I don't think my appetite is like that anymore. When I first went veggie, It seemed like I could not get enough food in me, I was eating ALL the time, but now it seems like I eat much less, I am usually quite well on 6 - 10 apples throughout my day, a celery stalk for lunch, and then a nice hearty dinner.

Awesome! 20 kg of watermelon in two days. That rocks. It is so tasty.

10 apples in a day is impressive, too. You must save a lot of time in cooking/preparing food!

Time is of the essence for me, too, as I am gearing up for my final exams in Oxford next year. Therefore, I am interested in getting into really efficient habits and optimising my lifestyle for intensive study, revision and exams.

I've been through exams before of course, but there's always room for improvement, and I want to maintain my physical strength and size as much as possible.

Small, healthy snacks throughout the day will stand me in good stead. Fruit smoothies will give me power. Nuts and raisins should boost the calorie intake.

Just out of interest: what would be some examples of a hearty dinner for you?

Watermelon is high in citrulline, which your body converts to arginine. This in turn increases nitric oxide in your muscles which helps them grow stronger.

So the point is: Eat lots of watermelon!

Never knew that - good tip, thanks for sharing.

Just out of interest: what would be some examples of a hearty dinner for you?

My favorite "hearty" dinner is a green smoothie I make with .5 lb of dark leafy greens, 6 medjool dates, 3 bananas, and usually a handful of strawberries, or raspberries, or some other kind of fruit.

OR

A plate of oven baked potatoes, sprinkled with a nice spice combination

OR

A veggie stir fry

OR

A giant salad

OR

A goodwich (fans of Fit for Life will know this one!)

It really depends on the day and my mood. But more often than not, I prefer the smoothie.

I put the info about eating watermelon causing your nitric oxide levels to go up to the test. Last night I ate a bunch of watermelon before I went to sleep, then this morning I worked out today around noon and got the best pump I've had in a long time

Watermelon is high in citrulline, which your body converts to arginine. This in turn increases nitric oxide in your muscles which helps them grow stronger.

So the point is: Eat lots of watermelon!

i never knew this. great information to know. thanks!

Sounds good, Raw Ambition. Smoothies rule.

Nice one, Will. Watermelon rocks.

I just read here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon) that the rind is also edible

Also says that the seeds are rich in fat and protein, so don't be buying any of that seedless nonsense!

You ever try that seedless watermelon?? it doesn't taste RIGHT! something real funny about it.. I avoid it like the plague.. ESPECIALLY in the fall and winter months... that is NOT watermelon season!

• 2 weeks later...