How many raw vegans do we have here?

Because animals do not cook food. People evolved (or were created, whatever) to eat whole foods straight from the source, no tampering.

What does it matter whether or not animals cook food? And how can you argue that people evolved to eat foods straight from the source? It's just as easy to say the opposite.

I'm just curious here. I've alreayd decided to go raw for three weeks after christmas, but Í'n still not convinced as to why eating cooked food is bad for your health.

If that's how you feel about it then what's the point of debating about it with people that feel the opposite just as strongly as you do?

just do what makes you happy, if you not convinced then that's cool because no body was trying to convince you in the first place...

just do your thing!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not necessarily how I feel about it. I was just wondering about the healthbenefits of eating 100% raw. I just think that saying that humans were not meant to eat cook their food doesn't explain anything.

If there's no real argument in favor that's okay too. Maybe it's just something one shouldn't think about but just experience.

That's not necessarily how I feel about it. I was just wondering about the healthbenefits of eating 100% raw. I just think that saying that humans were not meant to eat cook their food doesn't explain anything.

If there's no real argument in favor that's okay too. Maybe it's just something one shouldn't think about but just experience.

Whatever....

You just came across negative towards the whole concept even when it was explained to you by 3 different people, which is pretty much the standard reaction of a troll you would find on most raw food forums where no matter how much information you give them they will still find something to be negative about!....so maybe that's why you weren't getting your question answered fully....now don't get me wrong it's ok to ask questions but you gotta realise how you might come across when you openly cast doubt on a subject other people have personal experience or believe in passionatly.

You didn't seem to understand that there was life before cooked foods, humans didn't evolve automatically knowing how to create/cook foods.

If you wanna experience the raw lifestyle just do it and keep an open mind and leave the negativity to yourself....

I don't see why every time you get a Rawfood section all the naysyers think it's section for debate.....for once let's have a Raw food section where people celebrate the lifestyle, where like minded people help and support each other!

Yeah I said it!

People will always be unsure of something they haven't done, so they'll ask questions.

Last, the reason why people say humans aren't 'meant' to eat cooked food is because it's unnatural to heat food to the temperature required to cook it. Controlled fires, gas cookers and electricity, they were invented by man at different points in history. Before then, we were still human, and ate entirely raw diets. Therefore, the most natural food we have is raw.

From a health benefits point of view, as far as I know, certainly a percentage of vitamins and enzymes are destroyed / lost during cooking. Additionally, as far as I know, certain temperatures can alter particles in the food to become harmful chemicals, so that they become difficult / impossible to digest, especially true at higher temperatures, and in browning / burning of food.

Dr. Fuhrman says that the more raw foods we get, the better because of the higher nutrient density. However, he also says that on an individual basis, some people find that they get too full up on raw foods and therefore can't eat enough per day. In these instances, having some cooked or steamed food in the diet can mean that you get more nutrients over all. If you can only eat say 6 raw carrots at a sitting, but you can eat 10 cooked carrots, then although you might have destroyed 20% of the nutrients, you've got more altogether because you were able to eat more. But this isn't true of everybody.

Yes I think it can be trivial to debate 'what's the benefit of a 100% raw diet vs a 90% raw diet'. I don't know that there would be much of a difference. What are you going to have in that 10% that's so important to your health though? Most people aren't anywhere near 100% raw. The suggestion is to eat more raw, as much raw as you're comfortable with or that you want to, rather than aim for an absolute just for the sake of it. I think some people benefit from having a more clear-cut diet of what they will and won't eat, it helps keep their head clear, they know exactly what they're doing and it works for them. Other people maybe wouldn't like that, and instead will just eat as much raw food as they feel is necessary rather than 100%.

You also have to take into account that some people don't want to eat any cooked food period due to it's addictive nature and allowing that 10% makes it so much harder to do that.

Exactly, that's what I meant to say really, it's simpler for a lot of people to completely get rid of something rather than have grey areas, because it can lead them back to where they were unless they have it like set in stone for themselves. I know I am that way definitely, I am terrible with grey areas, I have to be doing something or not doing it.

You also have to take into account that some people don't want to eat any cooked food period due to it's addictive nature and allowing that 10% makes it so much harder to do that.

Exactly, that's what I meant to say really, it's simpler for a lot of people to completely get rid of something rather than have grey areas, because it can lead them back to where they were unless they have it like set in stone for themselves. I know I am that way definitely, I am terrible with grey areas, I have to be doing something or not doing it.

Yeah going raw is a totally personal process/transformation and can often be a long and hard but worth while journey and that's why I think that' it's so important that people be careful and considerate with how they question and approach the raw lifestyle due to all the dynamics involved.....and that's also why you get so many debates and arguments regarding the raw lifestyle because everybody is defending their own personal experience.

You just came across negative towards the whole concept even when it was explained to you by 3 different people, which is pretty much the standard reaction of a troll you would find on most raw food forums where no matter how much information you give them they will still find something to be negative about!....so maybe that's why you weren't getting your question answered fully....now don't get me wrong it's ok to ask questions but you gotta realise how you might come across when you openly cast doubt on a subject other people have personal experience or believe in passionatly.

You didn't seem to understand that there was life before cooked foods, humans didn't evolve automatically knowing how to create/cook foods.

If you wanna experience the raw lifestyle just do it and keep an open mind and leave the negativity to yourself....

I'm kinda suprised that you say I came across negative... I don't think I said a single negative thing about raw eating. I even said I was gonna give it a try!

I'm kinda suprised that you say I came across negative... I don't think I said a single negative thing about raw eating. I even said I was gonna give it a try!

You just really seemed to be in doubt. It could be interpreted as negativity, that's all.

Hey, for those of you who want to know "why raw"...visit Doug Graham's website: www.foodnsport.com. He has an extense FAQ on the raw diet.

What a great site. I think I need to take the raw thing way more seriously...

I found the best way to take the raw lifestyle more seriously is to get more active, your body will need more of the fresh stuff when you earn your food, also I found that I stopped seeing foods as a treat and it became more of a way to stay hydrated and get what my body really needed.

hope that made sense.

I've been thinking about upping the amount of raw food that I'm eating, it's just a bit hard because it gets REALLY cold here this time of year, but I may as well try anyway.

Yeah it's cold in the begining because your body is cleaning out but once you clean out your body can focus on other things such as keeping you warm....so it's not a permanant thing where you will always be freezing!

I've been thinking about upping the amount of raw food that I'm eating, it's just a bit hard because it gets REALLY cold here this time of year, but I may as well try anyway.

Yeah it's cold in the begining because your body is cleaning out but once you clean out your body can focus on other things such as keeping you warm....so it's not a permanant thing where you will always be freezing!

I'm not talking about my body, I'm talking about the 20 degree mornings that Pennsylvania gets this time of the year.

Okay, so Trev and I just got back from Whole Foods...

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o56/veganunderground/WholeFoods2.jpg

$122.00... 2 vegans...

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o56/veganunderground/WholeFoods.jpg

1 week totally raw!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o56/veganunderground/WholeFoods3.jpg

We're gonna need a bigger fruit bowl.

Okay, so Trev and I just got back from Whole Foods...

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o56/veganunderground/WholeFoods2.jpg

$122.00... 2 vegans...

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o56/veganunderground/WholeFoods.jpg

1 week totally raw!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o56/veganunderground/WholeFoods3.jpg

We're gonna need a bigger fruit bowl.

As my daughter would say....that's yummy yummy for my tummy!

Do you guys eat strictly organic?

Oh yeah, all organic. I'm as scared of non-organic, GMO, factory franken-fruit as I am of dairy! Okay, maybe not that scared!

As an aside, ate some cooked food tonight at a great Indian restaurant while out to dinner with the inlaws and all I could think of was the fruit and kale smoothie I'm going to have for breakfast tomorrow morning before my 6:30 am workout... my stomach's looking forward to it too, it didn't like the dinner so much tonight! What's happening to me!? Bigbwii, what have you done, you've brainwashed my stomach!

Trev wrote:

Oh yeah, all organic. I'm as scared of non-organic, GMO, factory franken-fruit as I am of dairy! Okay, maybe not that scared!

As an aside, ate some cooked food tonight at a great Indian restaurant while out to dinner with the inlaws and all I could think of was the fruit and kale smoothie I'm going to have for breakfast tomorrow morning before my 6:30 am workout... my stomach's looking forward to it too, it didn't like the dinner so much tonight! What's happening to me!? Bigbwii, what have you done, you've brainwashed my stomach! Mr. Green

Now your stomach belongs to me...and soon I'll have every stomach in Texas, then the US, then the world...nya, nya, nya!!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Yeah I eat what ever I can get but I stay away from unseed fruits, unless I have seen the fruits grown for myself I'm not going to believe that they are truly organic!

Edited by Bigbwii

Bought the food on Sunday... it's now Thursday and it's almost all gone already.

Everything we buy is organic. I'm forced to put alot of trust in those organic stickers. Can't really see the fruit being grown for ourselves because just about the only thing we grown in Canada is wheat. Actually, that's not true, I did see our good 'ol BC Gala apples in San Francisco!