Help,I must have a runny nose!

This is more of a general health question, but i'm a guy so Man Health (say it manly now ) is where I put my post.

Okay so I've got some virus, and the doc wants me to have a lot of drainage "to let mother nature do the work" or something like that. I'm fine with that but then he wants me to take this over the counter mucinex. I guess it opens the snot valves. Anyways I dont want to support big pharma so I am asking for food alternatives that would do the same thing. Or if there is some mixture people use, it could be mint sprigs up the nose or whatever I may give that a shot too. So far I've come up with really spicy salsa, so Im starting that as soon as I hit enter.

Have you ever tried nasal irrigation?

I just started doing it on the advice of a naturopath.

Essentially, you just pour warm salt water in your nostril (head tipped back of course)

It sounds worse than it is. The water either will end up in your mouth or coming out the other nostril.

I know people who suffer from allergies who swear by it.

wasabi and hot peppers work for me re: getting the nose running

A friend of mine was talked into using a Nettipot (spelling) she described it as shaped like the fabled Aladdin's lamp and you pour a saline solution into your nose with it. I dont think it worked for her very well. Thats all I know about pouring stuff down your nose.

Wasabi, I forgot all about that, thanks!

Essentially, you just pour warm salt water in your nostril (head tipped back of course)

OMG, I think I'd rather suffer the virus. I gargle warm salt water when I get bad sore throats, but I don't think I'd snort the stuff.

yeah, that's what I thought when I first heard about it too.

It's really not as bad as it sounds though.

If you want to go really holistic.

Its a yoga thing called 'Jal Netri'. Jal = Water.

You use that aladdin like pot to "drink" water from the nose. I dont think you really drink it.. but circulate it in some way. My grandfather has been doing it for ages.. and is the least likely member to get a cough/ cold in the family.......EVER.

PS: You could learn it from some local yoga / hindu experts.

Wasabi can kill.. so I'd go with spicy indian receipes LOL. Feel free to try some GINGER Honey or GINGER laced milk (well if ur vegan.. ginger with something). Traditional remedies.

This is a fantastic website on jala neti technique (the nasal wash others have been talking about). Many of us yogis use it in order to breathe more evenly and deeply. It basically washes off mucus and dirt from your sinuses and helps prevent colds and allergies. It's kinda tricky to learn, but once you know how to do it, it's pretty easy. Do it daily, first thing in the morning, for best results (you can do it at any other time of day, but it's generally advised to do it before meals rather than after).

I've also heard about GSE (grape seed extract), which is a natural wide-spectrum antibiotic, being great for this. I think you can pour a few drops in the water for your jala neti and then use it as normal. I haven't used it myself, so I can't give further information. Ask your local health food shop.

Hope this helps.

If you don't have, or don't want to use a Neti, you can simply 'snort' salt water. That's what my stepmother had us do when we had colds. It works similarly to using a Neti. Just get a palmful of water and salt, snort it up one nostril, then spit it out the back of your throat.

When I worked in a coop, as the herb section manager, my nose would start to run whenever I poured fresh chili powder into the containers.

Spicy foods with chili in can help.

If you don't have, or don't want to use a Neti, you can simply 'snort' salt water. That's what my stepmother had us do when we had colds. It works similarly to using a Neti. Just get a palmful of water and salt, snort it up one nostril, then spit it out the back of your throat.

When I worked in a coop, as the herb section manager, my nose would start to run whenever I poured fresh chili powder into the containers.

• 1 year later...

while not supporting pharmaceuticals is a noble stand, at some point youre going to have to rely on the help of some other source to help (i mean, you did go to the doctor, who is making tons of money of dozens of people daily at outrageously high appointment rates). but mucinex is actually just an expectorant called guaifenison, containing 600mg in 1 dose. it basically breaks down mucus in the body rather than opening your snot valves. mucinex has also been tested and shown to be theraputic, meaning it can actually lead to solving the problem rather than just reliving your symptoms. for about 8-10 dollars you can get about 20 tablets (taking 1-2 every 12 hours, that leaves you with a 5-10 day supply). be aware that im not trying to sell you on pharmaceuticals by any means, but sometimes giving in just a little can help out a lot. eating some sort of food with higher amounts of minerals of vitamins isnt going to do anything for you immediately. by the time any of that would even take effect on your body enough to make a change happen, the nose is going to have cleared up anyway (fortunately or unfortunately...however you see it)

Actually everything turned out just fine with food. No need to waste money on medicine. Infact a vegan promoting meds on this forum is very odd, but you are a pharm tech and have a good knowledge about medicine. I will give in when it's a medical necessity, but I will live as close to vegan as I possibly can (assuming that most medications are not vegan) until the need arises. Besides I am usually trying to not eat so many junk calories and enjoyed a reason to eat all the chips and salsa I wanted which is something I probalby would not have done had I paid for medication.

I think of the medical industry in the same way you see doctors, and at least there are doctors against animal testing. I dont hear anything like that from the pharmaceutical industry, but I also dont listen to them. Couldn't the med industry lobby to get the FDA to lower the animal testing requirements...it would save them money.

A lot of really green veggies (kale, spinach, romaine lettuce, etc) and fruits. I'm not into supplements. They're not a natural food (they are processed) and I think they should only be used if absolutely necessary. They cause an unnatural flow of one's physiology. That's my opinion.