Why are you Vegan?

robert

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the comment about "political views", this is exactly the problem. There is NOTHING political about compassion for animals. This is a 100% moral issue, or should be anyway. It is a moral imperative, not a political view or political choice. It is basic human decency.

THat is so true. Its like saying killing babies is a political view or that Hitlers reign was a political one.

Agreed. If we treated "pet" animals the way we treat "food" animals, or animals in laboratories, this would be considered a moral issue. If we did it to humans, it would be considered a moral issue, and nothing less. Yet, it is a "political isse" when we happen to like exploiting the species of animal in question? I think not. It is through and through a moral issue, and the sooner meat eaters experience that light bulb moment, the better off we will ALL be- humans, nonhumans, and mother nature.

Edited by compassionategirl

Hitler's reign was political. The german govt under hitler executed undesirables which seems political to me.

I think what Kollision meant was that the issue of mass murder of innocent people is a moral one. Hitler's campaign was political, but whether or not the genocide of 6 million innocent people is "correct" is a moral issue, through and through, plain and simple.

I was stirring guys!!!! I wondered how many bites I would get I suppose its the Aussie humour I don't have a problem with what anyone wrote here as I respect everyones views and opinions, I'm just a pollyanapureheart I guess. I don't actually donate to 3rd world charities, but their plight makes me cry. I do have a vey sensitive nature though and try to have my finger in all the honey pots. I for one believe that once the majority of humans are vegan we will have a compassionate world free from violence, hatred and poverty. I think you guys are great at such a young age to have such strong convictions, my opinoins are just a little different, but I've always been far too sensitive, and I must admit a great shit stirrer........I do beleive that what we are doing is making a differnce and I hope to see a difference in the world before time...you guys are too quick for me. I was going to go back on straight away and explain my sense of humour but I had to feed my animals (its only early morning here). Keep it up guys, and what I meant was what was the catalyst. |Everyone has one unless you were born into a vegan household. Now I must go and take the dogs for a run...

P.S. never get offended by what I say as I respect everyones view, I just don't always agree and I'll make sure I pre-warn any Aussie stirring from now on

I for one believe that once the majority of humans are vegan we will have a compassionate world free from violence, hatred and poverty.

I SO AGREE Charmaine!!!

In fact, as I was watching the horrors of today's terrorist attack in London on TV, that is precisely what I thought to myself. Veganism is a lifestyle about kindess, mercy and compassion towards ALL life, humans and nons. It is about love. I know that sounds corny but it really is true. It is the greatest gift we can give to ourselves, to starving third world countries, to mother nature, and to our fellow non human beings. In fact, the following quote is so true that it stings:

'True human goodness, in all its purity and freedom, can come to the fore

only when its recipient has no power. Mankind's true moral test (which lies

deeply buried from view) consists of its attitude toward those who are at

its mercy: the animals. And in this respect, mankind has suffered a

fundamental debacle, a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it.'

Veganism is about peace and peaceful co-existence. And, I also believe that like children, most human adults do have a natural sympathy for animals (even if they don't realize it and it is burried somewhere deep within them). Mankind itself would be best served if that sympathy was given free and glorious reign.

Peace for all living things (including the bug that is crawling across my floor right now, and whom I will gently scoop up and release outside so that she may carry on her innocent right to survive in this big, bad, cruel, human dominated world that wants to squish her and snuff out her life thoughtlessly and arrogantly, even though she is morally innocent and has fought so hard to survive in a world of callous and unempathetic giants)!

I also love this quote, as it speaking about empathy. It encourages us to see what we DO fundamentally have in common with other human and non-human animals, instead of focusing on our superficial differences:

"All beings tremble before violence. All fear death. All value their own lives. See yourself in other living things. Then who can you hurt? What harm can you cause? "

Compassion, empathy and a reverence for all life, is what I believe will heal this world.

'True human goodness, in all its purity and freedom, can come to the fore

only when its recipient has no power. Mankind's true moral test (which lies

deeply buried from view) consists of its attitude toward those who are at

its mercy: the animals. And in this respect, mankind has suffered a

fundamental debacle, a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it.'

Veganism is about peace and peaceful co-existence. And, I also believe that like children, most human adults do have a natural sympathy for animals (even if they don't realize it and it is burried somewhere deep within them). Mankind itself would be best served if that sympathy was given free and glorious reign.

Peace for all living things (including the bug that is crawling across my floor right now, and whom I will gently scoop up and release outside so that she may carry on her innocent right to survive in this big, bad, cruel, human dominated world that wants to squish her and snuff out her life thoughtlessly and arrogantly, even though she is morally innocent and has fought so hard to survive in a world of callous and unempathetic giants)!

I also love this quote, as it speaking about empathy. It encourages us to see what we DO fundamentally have in common with other human and non-human animals, instead of focusing on our superficial differences:

"All beings tremble before violence. All fear death. All value their own lives. See yourself in other living things. Then who can you hurt? What harm can you cause? "

Compassion, empathy and a reverence for all life, is what I believe will heal this world.

Wow Nat you really know how to write! You just explained everything of what i believe as well. I release the bugs as well, I would be heartless if I didnt and a hyporcrite. Thank goodness that ever since I started my mom has been doing the same too. I love your writing Nat, you should be a columnist, you are sooo great.

And Savebabe, you are on the same page with us then.

Also thanks Nat for clarifying for CollegeB. I was actually going to say that Hitlers idea had more credibility in regards to political issues, but I didnt want to offend anyone.

When I first went vegan it was a combination of being into animal rights and wanting to become leaner (I was really over-weight). After a while I started getting into environmentalism and when I found out what a positive effect a vegan diet can have on the planet, it motivated me to stick with it even more.

Hey Taylor!!

A fellow Canadian!! I haven't seen you post before, but I am glad to hear from you.

Thanks for sharing your reasons for veganism.

Ya, I know what you mean about environmentalism. Honestly, it is amazing how one little step forward in consciousness usually sets you on a path of so much more evolution in consciousness.

For example, the latest "evolution" or "revelation" for me is that I don't accept cut flowers from anybody anymore (and this is a fairly new "feeling" for me). I use to love flowers, especially roses. But again, it wasn't really that I loved flowers - it was that I loved the way flowers made me feel. But now, I see cut flowers as a sad thing. They are dead flowers - they have been cut from the root of life and for what? So Natalie can satisfy her senses of sight and smell? No, that isn't cool for me anymore. I love to see flowers growing and blooming, connected to their life source. MY compassion for sentient beings has evolved to compassion for non-sentient life as well!! And what glorious path of evolution it has been! My selfish desire for flowers isn't more important than a reverence for life. (I can just hear meat eaters saying right now: "Ya but you all kill plants everyday cause you eat them." Well, obviously we have to eat. It isn't about being perfect, it is about walking on the delicate earth as gently as possible, whenever possible, cauisng the least amount of harm possible.

3 years ago, if I heard somebody talking like this, I would have thought they were freaks. But really, once you open your eyes to the fragility of all life around you, it makes perfect sense and you struggle to understand why others cannot get there.

Edited by compassionategirl

Also thanks Nat for clarifying for CollegeB. I was actually going to say that Hitlers idea had more credibility in regards to political issues, but I didnt want to offend anyone.

Thanks Kollision for all your kind words.

But I am not sure what you mean by the highlighted statement. I personally think Hitler was an idiot in every way shape and form. There was nothing credible about that man; he was the human incarnation of the devil as far as I am concerned.

And, since we are on the topic of Hitler, let me clarify some common misconceptions that some meat eaters out there have:

I have heard people say, "Hitler was a vegetarian." Hitler was NOT a vegetarian. Hitler's favourite meals included animal flesh, and he would go on BRIEF vegetarian phases for HEALTH REASONS ONLY. That man had no ethical bone in his body (to state the obvious).

"Hitler loved animals." This too is inaccurate. Hitler abused his own dog frequently, and treated the animal like garbage (which, of course, is not surprising. If a man's conscience will allow him to order the mass slaughter of 6 million humans, one could hardly expect any compassion from him).

Nat, I meant that although it was wrong, that he was doing it out of political reasons, not necessarily just for the purpose to kill, althought he did do that. Not saying that it changes anything, just that his motives were a political one, so Ive heard.

Nat, I meant that although it was wrong, that he was doing it out of political reasons, not necessarily just for the purpose to kill, althought he did do that. Not saying that it changes anything, just that his motives were a political one, so Ive heard.

I think that what allowed him to do the things he did was the pure evil contained in his heart. Nothing more, nothing less, but that is just my opinion.

I think that what allowed him to do the things he did was the pure evil contained in his heart. Nothing more, nothing less, but that is just my opinion.

Wasnt his mom Jewish?

Way back in 1990, I was stationed in Alaska and temporarily assigned to a buoy tender, a small ship that goes out and makes sure that the navigational buoys in its area of responsibility are where they are supposed to be and functioning properly.

One day while we were in the Bering Sea, the Captain decided that we didn't have to be anywhere in any particular hurry, so for the sake of the crew's morale, he authorized a hunting party to go ashore and see if they could kill anything. A few hours later they returned with a caribou and proceeded to butcher it right on the deck of the ship, which I had a some difficulty avoiding.

Part of it was served for dinner alongside the roast beef that had already been cooking when the hunting party had returned. I opted for the dead cow instead, and the cook asked me why. I told him that the caribou had been alive and free just a short time earlier and therefore I wasn't willing to touch it.

The hypocrisy was inescapable. I was unwilling to eat an animal that had been killed in the wild, but perfectly okay with eating one that had known nothing but captivity. Being the introspective person that I am, this caused me to look at my values.

A few weeks later, this being November or so, I resolved that with the new year I would give up all red meat and wean myself off of poultry and fish. This was a rather brave decision, if I do say so myself, as up to that point I was literally a meat and potatoes kind of guy. Other than the tuber, there were no more than three or four vegetables that I was willing to eat, and fewer that I actually liked.

However, things moved a little more suddenly than I'd planned. While looking for a cookbook, I came across Ingrid Newkirk's very first book, Save the Animals, which had only just hit the stands. Everything changed with that, and I became a vegan almost immediately.

In retrospect, I think it was just a natural thing for me to end up going veggie. I had never hunted, gave up fishing the first time that the fish hadn't died on the stringer and I had had to actively kill it (and hadn't done a lot of fishing up to that point, anyway). It also hadn't been necessary for me to be hit on the head to realize that veal production was barbaric and that there was absolutely no justification for wearing furs. I had only had to be honest with myself, and then get a little push.

Dan

This was a rather brave decision, if I do say so myself, as up to that point I was literally a meat and potatoes kind of guy. Other than the tuber, there were no more than three or four vegetables that I was willing to eat, and fewer that I actually liked.

It also hadn't been necessary for me to be hit on the head to realize that veal production was barbaric and that there was absolutely no justification for wearing furs. I had only had to be honest with myself, and then get a little push.

Dan

Same here Dan! Actually, I could honestly say that I could have probably "carnivored" anybody under the table. I use to love my meat as raw as possible. The rawer, the better it was for me, and i lusted for it in the same way that a tiger is drawn to the scent of a bloody animal carcus. I have come a LONG way from my former vampire self to my new self that even feels sorry for flowers and trees!!!

I get so happy and further inspired when I hear all your reasons, experiences, and stories. Keep up the great HUMANITARIAN (and otherwise) work of being vegan.

Wasnt his mom Jewish?

Not sure Koll.

P.S. Don't forget to thank your mom for me about showing mercy to bugs!!

P.P.S. I should have added that I do make sure, though, that I haven't accidentally injured the bug by scooping it up. if I have, then I sadly have to kill it, because I think it might suffer more with a handicap out there. A broken leg or wing is very painful I am sure. BUt I would be interested in knowing if you agree?

Great work Dan. I wish I stopped fishing (did it probably 3 to 4 times in my life) the first time I did it. I still see my old self as cruel, and thank God that i have changed.

Nat, thanks for the kind words, will tell me mom after the movie Hitch is done. I do the same with the bugs. I feel bad when I have to kill them or do so accidently.

I used to have the shower handle lose and there were ants. At first there was little so I would just scoop them up and put them on the top of the wall or something then wet the top of the shower so they wouldnt come down while I was taking a shower. A few days later there were over 20 coming out of the handle, multitudes. I really didnt want to kill them but I had no choice. THere was no way to take a shwoer without even killing them. However, the point that made me have to kill them was when I thought about the danger it posed to the family dog, since, day by day they were more and more. Plus my dog likes to lie down in the bathroom. Anywho, I had my mom do it but I was crying on the outside because I had just killed them. On the religious side I prayed for forgiveness. Do you think I could have gone another route Nat?

Great work Dan. I wish I stopped fishing (did it probably 3 to 4 times in my life) the first time I did it. I still see my old self as cruel, and thank God that i have changed.

Nat, thanks for the kind words, will tell me mom after the movie Hitch is done. I do the same with the bugs. I feel bad when I have to kill them or do so accidently.

I used to have the shower handle lose and there were ants. At first there was little so I would just scoop them up and put them on the top of the wall or something then wet the top of the shower so they wouldnt come down while I was taking a shower. A few days later there were over 20 coming out of the handle, multitudes. I really didnt want to kill them but I had no choice. THere was no way to take a shwoer without even killing them. However, the point that made me have to kill them was when I thought about the danger it posed to the family dog, since, day by day they were more and more. Plus my dog likes to lie down in the bathroom. Anywho, I had my mom do it but I was crying on the outside because I had just killed them. On the religious side I prayed for forgiveness. Do you think I could have gone another route Nat?

I don't think so Koll. I think you did all that you could do under the circumstances. Again, it is not about being perfect. We cannot ever be perfect. All we could so is do the best we can under the circumstances, and I think that is what you did.

I remember there was a mosquito in my place once. I tried all I can to lead it outside by sort of chasing it but I just couldn't get it to leave. I tried for over an hour, because I knew that that would be the only way I can get it outside without hurting it! I finally had to tried catching it, but since it was so tiny, it was impossible to catch it without hurting it. I wouldn't have cared about the bite, but here mosquioes can carry westnile virus, which can be fatal, and I was afraid for myself and my pets. I didn't see a choice other than killing it, I felt horrible, cried and asked its forgiveness, and prayed for forgiveness too on the religious side. But choice did I have?

• 1 month later...

Actually my reason to become vegan was something on tv, showing the transport of cows and other animals from one place to another. Hanging with one leg on a rope of a crane... electro shocks on the farm, chicken in small cages...

I could have chosen for biological meat instead, but there are lots of other disadvantages as well. So, I went vegetarian first and 2 1/2 years ago vegan - at least with food. It took me some time to realize also that I don't need leather shoes and non animal tested cosmetics. Well, I am not that intelligent and fast

The reason to be vegan could also be health, but I know meat eaters, who are healthier, fitter and in better shape than I will ever be. Talking about health... I still do believe that every single person should find his own personal food. If this is meat, well... then do so. I don't discuss this anymore with people. If you tell me that you only feel fit with meat... what can I say? But for ethical reason I cannot accept meat or animal products anymore.

So, I guess I am more vegan, because of ethical reasons and not because of health.

• 2 weeks later...

When people ask me why I went vegan, I tell them I remember what is on their plate was before. Some people believe humans need to eat meat and dairy to be healthy, but as I've learned more, I have become absolutely certain that there is no justifiable reason to eat meat or dairy. If I'm talking to people who don't get the humane perspective, I try to give reasons as to why there is no need to eat meat or dairy (and then tell them about the ways these "products" are gotten).

• 3 weeks later...

i get asked "WHY" all the time. I was a strict veggie for several years before i became vegan. i don't know what held me back from becoming vegan. Most of my friends were vegan so it was natural. i evently made the change and have been vegan for longer then i can remember now maybe 4+ years. but how long i have been vegan doesn't matter as much as i am still vegan. but as to the point of "why"... i just started beging veggie and then it hit me about animal rights. then a few years later i got in to Straight edge (5 years running now) and Found out even more about animal rights. When people ask me "why", i tell them straight out ANIMAL COMPASSION. some get it others don't and need an explaintion. some even like to fight the cause of why i am. most respect it thou. out of all the people i have meet the drug abusers and meat eaters give me the most credit for the self made disaplein i have made in my life, and tell me all the time that they wish they could do what i have. that makes me feel good to know that the people that are the farthest from me look at me like a high justice in life. DOn't take that wrong (for my lack of wording) cuz i don't put myself high then them, well most of them. But being who i am today seems like i have been this way forever. i don't think to do drugs or even drink. I don't even think about eatting meat. I read the package of everything i eat, and use. and always ask the waiter/waitress whats certain things car cooked in (like fries). iTs hard sometimes when you are always traveling and your the only vegan in the group. They wanna go to a bar and grill and you end up just getting a salad. But hey its worth it to me. Not even as a health thing. I deff don't need it as a health reason. (i get blamed for being small as it is for being vegan... i have always been this way) so next time some one asks you "why" Ask them... Why use toliet paper instead of your hand..... its just right.

Danny

• 4 weeks later...

This is a while ago, but I thought I could put my 2cents in..

I'm vegan because I want to live a fuller richer, healthier more vibrant life. I only get one shot at it , so I want it to be exceptional.

I'm vegan because I want to leave a lighter footprint on the earth.

I don't want to be responsible or have any thing to do with the violent murder of animals, dead animal carcass is not something I consider food, ewwww! animals have rights, feelings, emotions.

I don't worry myself with which reason comes out on top. They are both important to me and I'm passionate about them both.