Junk for Jay...

_raVen_

Well, sorta junky. Junk-for-Jay sounds better than Healthy alternatives to junk food for Jay

Okay, to get you out of "choco 'n chips" mode, Jay, I've come up with a couple alternatives for you.

For your chips hankering, these are awesome! They are poppodams. Traditionally made by deep frying, you micro these for fatfree. Made with lentil flour, and taste a lot like potato chips. Simply place one in the microwave on high for 40 seconds.

To make them even more potatoey, spray with some olive oil spray before microwaving, or after, if you want. Probably won't need salt, but you can sprinkle some on, as well as any other spices, nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor, Mexican flavoring packet + nutritional yeast for a Nacho cheesy flavor, etc. There are flavored versions; in the pic is one that came spiced and a plain. The plain taste most like potato chips.

Watch them puff up! Depending on your micro, it may take up to 60 seconds, but do 40 sec's first.

Another good thing -- they're gluten-free; so your wife can have them

Here is how they come, generally; and a before and after microwaved pic:

They are dried so try to get a box that isn't rattling with lots of bits. But you're going to break them anyway, so it's not that big a deal.

Here's another before and after:

Look in the Middle Eastern or ethnic section of a regular supermarket. If you have a M.E. or Indian store nearby, even better; they'll be very inexpensive. You can also find them already puffed, but they will be fried. Best to do it yourself in the micro with zero to little fat and salt. Eat like chips. Only 40 seconds!

Let me know if you want some healthy dips.

*You can also make real fatfree potato chips in the micro, but it takes some time and a bit of effort. These are just so easy and can be eaten plain or with dips*

And here is a healthy chocolate pudding you can make to your taste. The amounts are how I like it. Just be sure to have good, ripe avos; but not overly-ripe, overly-soft or it's too strong. Use Haas avocados. There are a ton of versions of "raw" chocolate pudding with avocado on the internet, by the way; this is just my version using the ingredients I think you'd have access to

Cut, pit, scoop, and blend in a food processor till creamy:

1 lb. Avocados - no more than that (about 2 large, weight before cutting)

Add, then blend well. Stop. Scrape down sides. Blend till incorporated and not grainy from the sugar:

1/2 C - 2/3 C Brown Sugar (or Succanat, Cane Sugar [brown])

2/3 C Cocoa Powder (add more to taste, if needed)

1/4 tsp salt

While the processor is running, add and blend till fully combined and creamy:

1 TB Vanilla extract

1/2 C Coffee, black tea, (cold) (OR fresh coconut water [not milk], or plain water)*

Or more, if too thick

Taste for adjustments. You can eat now, or fridge it

Optionals:

-Add pinches of spices to taste (Cinnamon, etc.)

-Add additional extracts -- almond is good (start with a couple drops; it's strong). A drop of coconut extract also adds depth.

-Top with chopped walnuts

-Add 1 tsp orange zest

-Add a frozen banana

-Use soaked, fresh, dates; maple syrup; or agave nectar for the sugar

-Try using nut, soy, or rice milk

*If you want to use maple syrup or other liquid sweetener, then add that first and check the texture; then add any liquid as it's needed. Coffee, decaf, or tea enhances chocolate, but water will work.

Hope it comes out tasty!

Here is one that looks good, but I haven't tried. You could use any healthy nut for the pinenuts; but a clean tasting one would be best, like cashews, almonds, macadamias or Brazil nuts:

By Rita Romano, "Dining in the Raw":

1/2 cup carob powder (use cocoa_raVen)

1/4 cup medjool dates, pitted

3 large ripe bananas, partially frozen

1 cup pignoli (pine) nuts, chilled

Blend in a food processor into a smooth creamy pudding adding just enough water to reach a thick consistency. Be careful. Don't add too much water. Pour in parfait cups and serve.

I've made one similar to this and it's good:

California Avocado Commission - Chocolate Pudding

Ingredients

* 1 tsp Cocoa, heaping

* 1 large ripe Avocado

* ½ Cup water

* 1/8 tsp cinnamon

* 5 large dates

* 16 drops vanilla extract

Instructions

1. Pit and chop the dates. Place in the water to soak.

2. Blend the liquids, spices and the cocoa. While blender is on, carefully drop in date pieces until blended smoothly, then add chunked avocado.

3. Scoop into bowl.

Edited by _raVen_

Thanks raVen. That first thing looks familar, like what they serve as an appetizer at Indian restaurants? Next time I'm up in Morgantown I'll see if they have some. That avocado choco pudding sounds really good. I'll definitely try it.

Have you ever made raw hummus raVen? I'd expect it wouldn't taste much different than regular hummus....

Lately I've discovered roti. Which is just whole wheat flour rolled out like a really thin pita and heated up on a skillet. The same as hummus I can just eat it everyday and not get tired of it.

Thanks raVen. That first thing looks familar, like what they serve as an appetizer at Indian restaurants?

Welcome. Yep, that's it .

Have you ever made raw hummus raVen? I'd expect it wouldn't taste much different than regular hummus....

Jay, the recipes I've found online and I've tried have been gross. Have you ever had sprouted garbanzos? They suck. The only way I made it taste good was to add TONS of tahini to cover up the flavor of the beans; so, not really worth it. I'd rather just make it traditional -- I like using fava beans too.

I have made some really good flavored houmous, have you tried any? Add bell peppers (roasted or raw); chiles; sundried tomatoes; black bean is good!; different flavored vinegars; etc. Let me know if you want some.

This one is popular with raw foodists who don't like raw garbanzos; I varied it to my taste, and it was good; but, again, it's not really worth it (nor the cost) when regular houmous is probably more nutritious anyway. I'd make it for raw foodists, but I don't make it for myself:

No bean hummus from Living and Raw Foods

2 medium zucchini

1/4 cup olive oil

4-8 garlic cloves

2 tsp celtic salt (or use dulse flakes)

1/2 cup lemon or lime juice

3/4 cup sesame seeds

3/4 cup tahini (you can use less; or to taste)

1/4 tsp. cayenne

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp ground cumin

Process zucchini, olive oil, and garlic first in processor. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth.

Lately I've discovered roti. Which is just whole wheat flour rolled out like a really thin pita and heated up on a skillet. The same as hummus I can just eat it everyday and not get tired of it.

Sounds good . It's soft like a tortilla or do you crisp it?

----------

Don't know if I gave you this already Jay, but I adjusted it to make it a bit easier. Bananas, frozen, make a really good icecream base. And, the truth is, you can make this as simply as frozen bananas + sweetener + salt (very important) + vanilla -- all to taste -- freeze, and you're done. It's super easy. But here is my version, adapted, and method. It looks long, but it's not :

Pecan Ice Cream:

5 Large Bananas, very ripe, sweet

3/4 teaspoon salt, scant

1 1/2-2 tsp Vanilla Extract

2 TB Maple Syrup* (OR Agave Nectar; you can use sugar )

Nuts of choice (Pecans or walnuts are best)

Or Optional PecanPralines recipe below

At least 48 hours before serving, peel and slice the bananas and store immediately in the freezer.

Freeze your ice cream maker container and attachment, if

using. Or freeze the container with which you intend to prepare it manually; preferably a flat, square dish (an 8X8 brownie-type pan is good).

Make the pecan pralines if using; and freeze.

Ice Cream Directions:

Place frozen banana pieces in processor or blender with vanilla and sweetener, if using, and salt.

Blend on 'hi' till fluffy and creamy smooth; but not so much as it gets liquidy. Pour immediately into ice cream maker and prepare according to manufacturer's directions; add nuts/seeds, extras, serve or freeze in a covered container.

OR

Pour into cold, flat dish; freeze for several hours; remove and scrape with fork ; blend in a food processor; freeze, scrape again. Place back in food processor and blend again to creamy; fold in the caramel and/or pecans

OR the pecan pralines, if using; place back in freezer till ready to use.

Texture comes out best for both methods if left to freeze overnight and served the next day, using an icecream scoop.

*You may not even need sweetener. Sometimes the bananas are actually sweet enough even without the pecan pralines added. The maple syrup does contribute to the buttery flavor, though.

Pecan Pralines:

5 Large, Fresh Dates, pitted at room temperature (Do NOT soak!)

5 TB pure Maple Syrup (not pancake junk)

1 1/2 - 2 tsp Vanilla extract

Pecans, whole or pieces (up to you how many)

Directions:

Place the room-temperature dates in the blender with the vanilla and maple syrup.

Blend on 'hi' and scrape often to get it smooth. This takes some doing; however, if you can get it mostly smooth, that's fine, since you want it to be thick and pourable and "caramel-y." Tiny bits of date are okay and won't ruin the texture.

Place in freezer to get cold and thicker.

If using pecans, dip them in the caramel to cover

thickly. Place on a plate, not touching and place in freezer till ready to add to the ice cream.

Or top the icecream instead.

------------

Oh, Im hungry now .

The chocolate pudding sounds nice .

The avocado is not detectable, or shouldn't be if made right. I made this the other night for friends who really liked it, but I didn't tell them anything about it till the next day. They were shocked there was avo in it. Sometimes when people know what's in certain dishes, they imagine they're tasting it Happens a lot with people who want to find something wrong with a vegan dish

No, you don't crisp the roti. Just cook it enough that it gets a little brown. It's the best bread there is IMO. Regular bread is all spongy and soaks up saliva and gets harder to chew/swallow. Funny that the best bread is the simplest to make.

I've never had sprouted chickpeas. Haven't really eaten much sprouted stuff.

I'm going to make that avocado choco pudding today or tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Holy sweet tooth, Raven!

I'm going to have to try that pecan ice cream & praline recipe soon! Some of my favorite things: pecans, maple syrup, dates. Yum.

That choco pudding recipe sounds intriguing. And it's a good day to buy avacados with it being Cinco de Mayo.

Hey Jay! I stopped at a middle eastern grocer here in Oakland on my lunch and picked up something that resembles the gluten-free, microwave puffy things Raven mentions. I picked up two small packs - one for Michael and I to try and one to give to you! Look forward to meeting you on Sunday! You're welcome to spend the night Saturday or Sunday to save on making the round trip in one day.

Holy sweet tooth, Raven!

I'm going to have to try that pecan ice cream & praline recipe soon! Some of my favorite things: pecans, maple syrup, dates. Yum.

That choco pudding recipe sounds intriguing. And it's a good day to buy avacados with it being Cinco de Mayo.

Hey, CrispyQ! I love pecans and dates too! I don't eat dates, though, unless it's a special occasion (try to avoid dried fruit).

Also, don't forget Bryanna's icecream recipe I posted for you. That will rival the best store-bought brand!

Did you make anything special for Cinco de Mayo?

Hey Jay! I stopped at a middle eastern grocer here in Oakland on my lunch and picked up something that resembles the gluten-free, microwave puffy things Raven mentions...

Oh, what a sweetie you are! So did you try them? What's the verdict?

You say they resemble -- do you think you got the right stuff?

How'd you do them? Did you do them plain, spray the olive oil, sprinkle with spices/salt?

...Look forward to meeting you on Sunday! You're welcome to spend the night Saturday or Sunday to save on making the round trip in one day.

What did y'all do? I wasn't invited

Sounds like fun to meet some people from online; Jay, maybe we would find something to agree on in person

Hey Jay! I stopped at a middle eastern grocer here in Oakland on my lunch and picked up something that resembles the gluten-free, microwave puffy things Raven mentions...

Oh, what a sweetie you are! So did you try them? What's the verdict?

You say they resemble -- do you think you got the right stuff?

How'd you do them? Did you do them plain, spray the olive oil, sprinkle with spices/salt?

We forgot about them. I guess there was so much food, etc. Just forgot all about them. Probably still sitting in Tiffaney/Mike's fridge.

...Look forward to meeting you on Sunday! You're welcome to spend the night Saturday or Sunday to save on making the round trip in one day.

What did y'all do? I wasn't invited

About 15 vegans met at Tif/Mike's place and had a potluck. It was nice.

:D Sounds like fun to meet some people from online; Jay, maybe we would find something to agree on in person

Well disagreeing's funner. More to talk about when you disagree with someone.

Hey, you're always invited raVen. Stop by anytime at my house. Bit out of the way though for you. My brother lives in San Diego though. Maybe next time I see him... (I don't see him often though.) Don't have the money to visit.

Tried the avocado pudding. It's not bad. But I only like it in small amounts. A little gritty but I think that was probably the blender I used. You have a vitamix right raVen? That probably gets rid of any grittiness. I was using my Mom's blender which isn't very powerful.

My own blender is more powerful. I'll try it next time.

We forgot about them. I guess there was so much food, etc. Just forgot all about them. Probably still sitting in Tiffaney/Mike's fridge.

What did y'all do? I wasn't invited ...

About 15 vegans met at Tif/Mike's place and had a potluck. It was nice.

Sounds fun; glad you had a good time

:D Sounds like fun to meet some people from online; Jay, maybe we would find something to agree on in person ...

Well disagreeing's funner. More to talk about when you disagree with someone.

Definitely more interesting

But, you know, ultimately, you and I have the same viewpoint, I think...generally But for some reason we disagree somewhere along the way there Seems to be little things. You just don't see them right

Hey, you're always invited raVen. Stop by anytime at my house. Bit out of the way though for you. My brother lives in San Diego though. Maybe next time I see him... (I don't see him often though.) Don't have the money to visit.[

Tried the avocado pudding. It's not bad. But I only like it in small amounts. A little gritty but I think that was probably the blender I used. You have a vitamix right raVen? That probably gets rid of any grittiness. I was using my Mom's blender which isn't very powerful.

I'm crushed. Now, I'm wondering what could have been gritty?! The brown sugar, maybe .

I swear, Jay, if I ever do meet you, I'm going to tie you to a chair, force feed you MY green smoothies (cause they're good, damnit, when made right) and a huge helping of MY chocolate pudding made right, which IS smooth and IS sweet...

(Brat...)