Robert's Training Journal - A Tale of Yeah's and Buddy's

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to talk to you too buddy!

Sorry I didn't write yet. No internet at home........

Today I trained back and a bit of abs again. It was good and I'm ready for xveganjoshx's arrival tomorrow!

Yeah buddy!!!!

More updates with details later, but have to get internet sorted out first. I have to work quickly these days.

I hung out with Jay Cutler (Mr. Olympia) today and it was awesome! Photos to come soon

He rocks the f-ing house!

Today xveganjoshx and I hammered back! My arms were shaking afterwards as I tried to eat, so it must have been great!

It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO refreshing having him here, since he's another vegan bodybuilder and I'm back into it again.

We're hammering down protein drinks, cooking food at the house, ordering pizza when necessary, and just had a great workout.

I'm really tired and it's late, but it went something like this (we did a few different exercises, but mostly the same ones. He also lifted more for most exercises, if not all exercises.

Reverse Grip lat pull-downs:

110 x 15

135 x 12

150 x 10

165 x 8

Cable rows:

120 x 15

135 x 12

150 x 10

165 x 8

T-bar rows

75 x 15

75 x 12

75 x 12

85 x 10

burn out 50 x 20

Back extensions:

20 with 25 lb plate

20 with 25 lb plate

Bent-over rows:

75 x 15

85 x 15

100 x 12

100 x 10

It was intense because I worked on great form and strong contractions and slow reps.

Great workout!

He did deadlifts and wide-grip pull-downs in addition and skipped the extensions and bent-over rows.

Lightweight baby!

I kicked my ass today. It was probably the best I've looked in as long as I can remember. I feel like I'm back into it I was at a bodybuilding store today and got a bunch of supplements and ordered more. I got a bunch testosterone boosters, anti-catabolic/pro anabolic stuff, etc.

Good times.

I was out of town for about 11 hours, drove over 200 miles in my car and exhausted myself from driving and meetings, but as soon as I got home, I grabbed xveganjoshx and we went to the gym. We didn't get out of there until nearly midnight, but I rocked it in a major way and got really swollen.

Then we came back and hammered out a huge protein/supplement smoothie shake, cooked up some yams and made some tofu sausages.

For the workout, I took some NO EXPLODE before hand and hammered arms only resting 30-45 seconds at most between sets.

I also alternated triceps and biceps rather than doing one at a time. (I'd do a set of skull crushers, then immediate biceps curls, then repeat with 30 seconds between or less. It rocked.

It was a pump workout today but I exhausted my muscles and my arms didn't function real well afterwards. They are still tired.

I did:

EZ Curl biceps curls

70 x 8

70 x 8

75 x 10

75 x 8

Skull Crushers

70 x 9

70 x 10

75 x 8

75 x 7

Preacher Curls

50 x 10

60 x 10

60 x 8

60 x 7

Machine Dips

210 x 20

240 x 12

285 x 10

285 x 12

315 x 9

Seated Dumbbell Curls

30's x 8

30's x 6

30's x 6

Dumbbell kickbacks

20's x 10

25's x 10

25's x 10

I also did some rope pull-downs and cable bicep curls as warm-ups or fillers near the end.

Total pump and then sat in the steamroom and sauna with xvjx

I'm soooooo tired. It's nearly 1:30AM and I still have some food to finish and then want to take some Cell Mass and ZMA before sleeping.

It's great having Josh here. It's major for my attitude, physique and bodybuilding future at the moment.

Great workout rob! For the record, I had trained shoulders earlier with dv at the downtown 24 hour fitness. I sat in the sauna, steamroom, and hot tub while rob trained at night.

It has been really awesome staying with Rob these past couple of days! He really is looking bigger and looks really good.

We're going to hammer legs a bit later. The challenge is on again!

Blasted legs tonight:

It went something like this:

I rode the bike for 10 minutes and then warmed up with leg extensions while Josh did hack squats.

Then I started with leg press:

270 x 15

360 x 10

540 x 6

720 x 6

810 x 6 (new PR)

830 x 4 (new PR)

Lying Leg Curls

90 x 15

110 x 10

110 x 10

110 x 10

Leg Extensions

110 x 15

150 x 12

220 x 10

260 x 10 (whole stack)

260 x 15

260 x 8

Calf Raises

165 x 20

190 x 15

190 x 15

190 x 15

165 x 20

Then it was time to eat!

Great workout, new PR in leg press, and maybe soon 900 lbs on the leg press will be in sight.

The strange this is that I hurt my knee in L.A. and I've been limping around all week and wasn't sure I'd be able to train legs at all while Josh was here.

I had to suck it up and he kept jumping the weight up by 180lbs rather than 90, which is new to me, so I just tried to keep up and in the process, I set a new PR

We better sleep soon.

I hammered back today with DV. It was great!!! She kicks ASS too! XvjX was there training chest.

I'll post more later, but it was a hardcore back workout today with t-bar and bent over rows for heavy free weight exercises, some heavy rowing movements and it was all good!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/VeganBodybuilder/josh18.jpg

Thanks Tasha, my hair is longer than Zack's now

Zack,

I used to do 225 or more on bent-over rows. I maxed out at 100 today being very careful. DV was watching me carefully too. My back acted up a bit tonight, but I did heavy t-bar rows and it was OK. I just really try to use good form and have my legs stay strong and my lower back tight.

It's all good. I will actually be getting some treatment for my back soon, I just found out tonight

I hope to get even more treatments soon and get it sorted out.

But as far as back workouts go. This was one of my best ever. I was using a rowing machine and had about 300+ pounds on it. I was pleased.

Anyway, good stuff tonight. Great week in general!

Yeah, and I had to use near perfect form because it was risky. I realized I said "heavy bent-over rows" but that was just DV. I didn't go past 100 lbs but the t-bar rows were quite heavy for me, nearly the heaviest I've done, so that was cool.

It was pretty exhausting.

I'm excited to get some things done for my back. For now it will be acupuncture and deep tissue massage therapy, but I'll also get my back evaluated soon too. I'm making more $$$ these days, so I should be able to afford to get myself checked out soon.

Workouts are great at the moment and I'm eating a ton, drinking a ton of fluids and I'm pretty fired up.

I still don't look that great, but when I'm "pumped" I'm looking pretty good in certain areas.

I still feel really skinny but it has only been 8 weeks or so since I bounced back. I learned a lot about patience from Jay Cutler and it just takes some time and if the consistent effort is there, positive results will be a by-product and improvement will take place.

I look forward to the months ahead.

I'm super tired today! I took the day off. Josh and I hit it for 4 straight days and didn't sleep nearly as much as we should have. I meant to rest more today but didn't get the chance (or didn't choose to get the chance, based on some things I decided to do today).

I have a meeting in the morning, and some work to do, but hope to nap and rest, and recover and keep on Growing!

Time for a protein drink, because I know my homeboys would want me to do that.

It's all love folks. Respect all the way around. There are up and coming Vegan Bodybuilders out there who I really look forward to promoting, training with, and learning from.

Time to eat and sleep.....baby!

Yeah, and I had to use near perfect form because it was risky. I realized I said "heavy bent-over rows" but that was just DV. I didn't go past 100 lbs but the t-bar rows were quite heavy for me, nearly the heaviest I've done, so that was cool.

Sorry for the confusion. Robert meant free standing t-bar rows but I kept calling them "meat-head rows" because that's what one of my buddies calls them. This is why I could never keep a journal. No one would know what exercise I'm referring to!

Robert, I know that you said you haven't done any benching because of your shoulder. Have you tried benching with dumbbells, with your palms facing each other (parallel to your body)? This supposedly takes the stress off of your shoulder and works for those with shoulder injuries. Additionally, when I had my shoulder injury I was still able to do decline benches for the same reason. Of course, I had a mainly posterior injury and I know that yours is anterior.

Just some thoughts. And lets work out together again soon.

Yeah, let's workout soon!

This week is busy with Vega stuff now that we have all these new Whole Foods stores (that were Wild Oats).

But I'm back in action, making it happen so I'm ready when our schedules work!

Today was a leg workout for about 1 hour 20 minutes.

I started with 14 minutes on the bike.

Then I did about 5 sets of extensions to warm up the legs.

60 x 20

60 x 20

90 x 20

Then some working sets:

150 x 15

190 x 15

220 x 12

260 x 12 (whole stack)

260 x 10 (whole stack)

Leg press:

180 x 20

270 x 20

360 x 12

Then some working sets:

450 x 8

540 x 6

630 x 6

720 x 6

810 x 4 (18 plates total, 20 lbs shy of my all-time best set last week)

630 x 8 (deep reps)

720 x 6 (deep reps)

Seated Hamstring Curls

110 x 15

120 x 10

140 x 10

150 x 10

170 x 10

No calves today, but I'll do them on another day, such as arms.

I'm not going to make any assumptions, but I've taken a pre-workout drink 5 times now, and all 5 times, I had great workouts. I think most of it is in my head, but even if it just affects my attitude in the gym, it's good enough for me!

Looks like you're making some good progress and being consistent...that is key!

You might not realize it, but I think that sometimes the only way to reach your potential is to reach past the bar and know where your limit is. I know that I've learned the most about my body after injury. It may not be pleasant, but you will come back stronger and smarter

Looks like you're making some good progress and being consistent...that is key!

You might not realize it, but I think that sometimes the only way to reach your potential is to reach past the bar and know where your limit is. I know that I've learned the most about my body after injury. It may not be pleasant, but you will come back stronger and smarter

Great point. I can relate to that

Thanks. I'm working on making progress.

Today I hammered arms. It was my 3rd workout in 3 days so I'll probably rest tomorrow.

Tonight it went like this:

Warm-up sets of cable biceps and triceps exercises.

I did maybe 10 warm-up sets.

Triceps

Cable push-downs (mostly as a warm-up)

80 x 15

80 x 15

90 x 10

90 x 10

Skull Crushers

75 x 6

75 x 7

75 x 8

75 x 6

75 x 6

Machine Dips

195 x 20

210 x 15

240 x 12

285 x 10

330 x 9 (maxed out the machine)

Kick-backs

20 x 15

25 x 10

25 x 10

25 x 10

Biceps

EZ curl bar curls

75 x 6

75 x 6

75 x 7

75 x 8

75 x 5

Preacher curls

80 x 8

80 x 8

80 x 8

80 x 8

80 x 8

Seated dumbbell curls

35 x 6

35 x 6

35 x 6

35 x 5

35 x 5

Hammer curls

40 x 6

45 x 6

50 x 3

40 x 7

45 x 5

I did a few other sets of barbell biceps curls, and some extra triceps pump exercises.

Good times

Hammered legs today and DV and I destroyed arms yesterday!

I'll write more details soon but today I set a new personal record! I leg pressed 900 pounds (20 45-pound plates).

So I'm super excited about that.

DV and I will start training together fairly regularly so I'm pumped about that. She is pretty f-ing hardcore! I think we bring out a lot of good in each other when it comes to training and intensity. Too bad she missed my 900 lbs today, my head nearly shot off my neck and I turned beet red, but it was good.

Anyway, gotta eat more and sleep soon.

Yeah buddy!

For the record, after pressing 10 plates on each side and racking it. I said, "lightweight."