Robert's Training Journal - A Tale of Yeah's and Buddy's

Today I trained back. It was just a 40-45 minute workout but it was good.

I started with lat pull downs and then moved into pull-ups, hyperextensions for lower back, cable rows and reverse-grip lat pull-downs.

I tried to focus on lower reps with heavier weights. I actually did full range of motion pull-ups today Normally I do like 10-20 pull-ups but they are not "full range of motion." Today I did sets of 6-8 but with full range, in fact even resting a second or two at the bottom (hanging) to make sure I went all the way down.

Good workout, then came back and had Vega Smoothie Infusion, some fruit and then went out to an Ethiopian Restaurant with the President of NW Veg and some others for a meeting.

Good times. Glad to be back at it!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back at it!

I trained at home last night. It was about an hour of bicep curls, overhead extensions, some very light bent over rows with my EZ curl bar, and push-ups. It was actually a pretty good workout for the biceps. I'll be purchasing more weights soon so we'll have more free weights lying around during the Vegan Vacation.

I have a gift certificate to a sports store so that is what I'll use it on. Getting some weights.

Anyway, today I'll go to the gym to train but I'm not sure what I'll do yet. Maybe I'll hi the legs, or maybe do a chest workout today. Not sure yet, but I'll get myself sorted out soon.

I've been having a lot of protein smoothies with the NEW Vega Smoothie Infusion. Good stuff.

Well, time for lunch now!

I trained chest with davidtarrfoster last night. It was good. I did pretty much 5-rep sets for everthing. Some were less reps just 2 or 3 depending on the weight and some were more like 7 or 8 reps if I could sqeeze it out.

I started with 5 sets of flat bench press

Then 4 sets of incline bench press

Then 4 sets of hammer strength decline press (up to 360 lbs)

Then we finished off with two machines supersetting one with the other. One was a bench press machine and one was pec-deck.

I stretched a bit, maybe not enough and then came home and had some Vega Smoothie Infusion, mango, muffins and then had to head out, but I continued eating and then had some potatoes, oranges, and muffins when I got home.

I've been to the gym 4 days in a row I think (well worked out 4 days in a row, one day I stayed home and trained at home). I'm tempted to go today too but know I need to rest and recover as well.

I'll try to continue to train heavy, strengthen my core and see what I can do about eating enough!

Strangely, I got a cold again! I had a cold and then was back to normal and worked out about 4 days in a row and things were fine and then I got sick all over again!

So today, no gym, but maybe the sauna if I feel like making the drive over to the fitness center.

Hey Robert,

You haven't posted what exercises, sets, reps, weights etc, that you are doing for a while.

I realise you're a very busy man, but I know a lot of people are interested in what you do each workout

I know, I kinda got lazy about keeping up my journal I'm also a bit smaller these days which is frustrating. I go up and down up and down all the time as far as bodyweight and strength.

Hopefully soon I can remain consistent! Thanks for the reminder

Last night I had a biceps/triceps workout with davidtarrfoster.

I wore a really tight shirt and for the first time in a while, looked pretty good at the gym. I'm still not very heavy and that is frustrating, and I've only been to the gym a few times in the past few weeks because of the cold I had, but I looked pretty lean so that was cool.

We started out with a warm-up. I didn't feel like doing 5 minutes of "cardio" for warming up so we just did about 3-4 sets of push-ups and light biceps curls.

We did about 20 push-ups, grabbed some dumbbells and did about 20 reps to get some blood flowing and get warmed up. After 4 sets of that we got started.

Pretty much everything we did was in 4-set increments.

We started with seated dumbbell biceps curls and it went something like this:

Seated Dumbbell Biceps Curls

25's in each hand x 12 reps

30's in each hand x 10 reps

30's in each hand x 8 reps

35's in each hand x 6 reps

Hammer Curls

35's in each hand x 10 reps

35's in each hand x 8 reps

40's in each hand x 6 reps

Machine Preacher curls

75 lbs x 10 reps

75 lbs x 8 reps

75 lbs x 8 reps

75 lbs x 8 reps

High Pulley Cable Curls

25 each hand x 10 reps

25 each hand x 10 reps

25 each hand x 10 reps

25 each hand x 10 reps

Triceps

Rope pull-downs to warm up

50 x 15

50 x 15

50 x 15

50 x 15

Dips

Bodyweight x 20

Bodyweight x 20

Bodyweight x 20

Bodyweight x 20

French Press

50 x 10 superset with 10 narrow grip presses

Triceps kickbacks

25 each hand x 10

25 each hand x 10

25 each hand x 10

25 each hand x 10

Flexed a little and then went home and had 2 burritos and later had some fruit before going to bed.

Tonight the "plan" is to train legs. We'll figure it out once Dave gets home from work.

It should be a good one.

Tonight we trained legs.

It was really good! I'm quite sleepy now, but I'll try to recall.

We did 5 minutes of cardio warm-up and then dave started with squats and I started with Leg Press. I can't do squats now so I chose Leg Press which is one of my favorite exercises.

Leg Press

180 x 20

270 x 15

360 x 12

450 x 12

540 x 10

Another Leg Pressing Machine followed by Leg Extensions

160 x 12

70 x 12

180 x 12

60 x 12

200 x 10

60 x 10

Lying Leg Curls followed by standing hamstring curls

70 x 10

55 x 10

50 x 10

50 x 10

50 x 10

45 x 10

Then we went in the sauna for about 20 minutes and sweated a lot and it was great! I flexed a bit, had great lights, lots of veins in the legs, etc.

It is in the dressing room, but I think we'll do some photos there sometime because the lighting is awesome!

Then we ate at Proper Eats and I had such a great tempeh reuben sandwich! I loved it!

Now I'm home, quite tired and heading to bed.

Last night I had a biceps/triceps workout with davidtarrfoster.

I wore a really tight shirt and for the first time in a while, looked pretty good at the gym. I'm still not very heavy and that is frustrating, and I've only been to the gym a few times in the past few weeks because of the cold I had, but I looked pretty lean so that was cool.

We started out with a warm-up. I didn't feel like doing 5 minutes of "cardio" for warming up so we just did about 3-4 sets of push-ups and light biceps curls.

We did about 20 push-ups, grabbed some dumbbells and did about 20 reps to get some blood flowing and get warmed up. After 4 sets of that we got started.

Pretty much everything we did was in 4-set increments.

We started with seated dumbbell biceps curls and it went something like this:

Seated Dumbbell Biceps Curls

25's in each hand x 12 reps

30's in each hand x 8 reps

35's in each hand x 6 reps

Hammer Curls

35's in each hand x 10 reps

35's in each hand x 8 reps

40's in each hand x 6 reps

Machine Preacher curls

75 lbs x 10 reps

75 lbs x 8 reps

75 lbs x 8 reps

75 lbs x 8 reps

High Pulley Cable Curls

25 each hand x 10 reps

25 each hand x 10 reps

25 each hand x 10 reps

25 each hand x 10 reps

Triceps

Rope pull-downs to warm up

50 x 15

50 x 15

50 x 15

50 x 15

Dips

Bodyweight x 20

Bodyweight x 20

Bodyweight x 20

Bodyweight x 20

French Press

Triceps kickbacks

25 each hand x 10

25 each hand x 10

25 each hand x 10

25 each hand x 10

Flexed a little and then went home and had 2 burritos and later had some fruit before going to bed.

Tonight the "plan" is to train legs. We'll figure it out once Dave gets home from work.

It should be a good one.

That is alot of dips . Nice!

Yeah, I should add weight. I am doing pretty deep reps and getting at least 20 per set. I really like the exercise!

I don't want to use a leather belt to hang weights so I may just have somone put a dumbbell between my feet. I normally train with davidtarrfoster so it would be easy to do that.

I'll try it next time. I had the tris blasting out of my shirt yesterday

Today was a good leg workout. Not real heavy, but really intense with lots of supersets for certain exercises which totally burned the legs out.

Yeah, I should add weight. I am doing pretty deep reps and getting at least 20 per set. I really like the exercise!

I don't want to use a leather belt to hang weights so I may just have somone put a dumbbell between my feet. I normally train with davidtarrfoster so it would be easy to do that.

Today was a good leg workout. Not real heavy, but really intense with lots of supersets for certain exercises which totally burned the legs out.

I wonder if you could get away with a backpack with weights or something, granted that might be akward in the gym.....

I've worn sandbag backpacks and vests and those were great. It was for track and field practice, running up stairs.

I am slowly going to start lifting heavier. I'm still doing some 8-12 rep range stuff now, but I'm just getting over that cold I had. So in the coming weeks I'll drop it down to 4-8 reps and it should be fun.

I just started doing dips a few weeks ago. I love them!

My training partner swears by weighted dips. He claims doing dips with an extra 30 lb is exponentially better than doing lots of unweighted dips. When he's on the dip rack, his forearms face behind (obviously), and they are out of control! Spiderwebs of veins, huge, bulging. He might just be on par with you Robert . I gotta take a pic one day!

I've heard the same about my own forearms when I'm doing that exercise so I'll have to get a few photos too! Of course I can't see it, because I'd like to, but I've heard they look pretty freaky during that exercise.

Yeah, I'll get on these weighted dips soon and see how I like them. I've done weighted pull-ups and they are great!

There are a lot of things I'd like to make or order to carry but I'm just out of money. I am going to be working with the Brilliant Brendan Brazier soon and that should lead to more income for myself. I can barely keep myself going right with all the bills I owe and things like that, but once I get out from that situation, I'll get some really cool stuff!

Check back in early 2008 for some awesome new things!

Arms and Legs the last couple of days. Today I'm not sure what the plan is. I'd like to go and train back, but I'll check with davidtarrfoster to see if he needs/wants an off day or is cool with back.

Brendan gets in tomorrow and will no doubt want to train so it might be best to rest today knowing we'll hit it on Thursday and Friday and this weekend.

We'll see what the evening looks like. We might just eat and watch He-Man.

Today I played tennis for about an hour with C.O., one of our forum members. I won, by the way.

Then I picked up Brendan Brazier from the airport and we chatted a bit and then headed to the gym.

I trained shoulders tonight for 40 minutes and spent about 20 minutes in the Sauna.

Shoulders when something like this:

3 sets of light lateral raises with a 15lb dumbbell in each hand to get warmed up.

Lateral Raises

20 in each hand x 10 reps

Front Raises

Standing overhead press

70 lbs x 8

70 lbs x 8

70 lbs x 8

70 lbs x 8

Dumbbell shoulder press

40 each hand x 12

50 each hand x 8

65 each hand x 2

55 each hand x 6

55 each hand x 6

Shrugs

70 each hand x 15

80 each hand x 10

80 each hand x 10

Then Sauna for 20 minutes and then over to Proper Eats for a wonderful tempeh reuben sandwich! I can't get enough of those sandwiches from Proper Eats!!!!

Good times, good food and came back home chatted with davidtarrfoster and now we're all heading to bed.

I trained back last night for an hour and it was awesome! I also threw in a bit of ab work.

I did about 10 sets of hanging leg raises, after each set of lat pull-downs and rows.

I warmed up with 3 sets of light lat pull-downs and then got started.

Lat Pull-downs

110 x 10

130 x 8

150 x 6

160 x 6

Cable Rows

160 x 15

180 x 10

200 x 10

Reverse Grip Pull Downs

110 x 8

120 x 8

130 x 6

140 x 6

High Rows

170 x 10

220 x 8

220 x 8

220 x 8

Hyperextensions

Bodyweight x 10-15

Bodyweight x 10-15

Bodyweight x 10-15

Bodyweight x 10-15

Pull-ups

Bodyweight x 6

Bodyweight x 5

Bodyweight x 5

Bodyweight x 6

Lots of hanging leg raises too.

I enjoyed doing pull-ups last. I didn't do many reps, but that was kind of by design. I'm working to do lower reps, as you can see I did many sets under 10 reps.

Pull-ups were full range of motion and a good way to finish things off.

Well, off to the gym now soon.

I trained chest last night with davidtarrfoster. Brendan stayed home but he and I will train tonight.

So we warmed up with a few sets of push-ups and sit-ups.

Then we started:

Bench Press

95 x 15 warm-up

145 x 10 warm-up

185 x 5

195 x 5

205 x 2

195 x 5

Incline Dumbbell flys

50's each hand x 10

60's each hand x 8

65's each hand x 7

70's each hand x 6

High pulley cable cross overs

60 x 15

70 x 12

80 x 10

Low pulley cable cross overs

40 x 12

50 x 10

50 x 10

Machine Chest press

120 x 12

130 x 8

140 x 4

Pec Deck

70 x 8

70 x 8

70 x 8

Good pump, great flexing in the mirror afterwards and good Thai Food and conversation with davidtarrfoster after the workout.

I had a great back workout the other day and played tennis today. I've been busy/lazy at keeping up my journal.

I really wanted to write about my recent legs and arms workouts too, but didn't get to it and don't remember the details now.

Time to sleep soon but I'll keep on working at updating this as I train.

I know, cardio activities aren't great for gains but I don't run around too much when I play. I've only played a few times so far this year and will probably play once or twice a week for 60-90 minutes so not too bad.

My raw food eating isn't helping my gains either! But I think it is helping my stomach a bit so then I can have better gains when I go back to bulking eating with lots of rice, yams, oats, nuts, veggies, etc.

Yeah, I reckon a cycle of raw food helps for gains in the long run. Maybe throw in a whole load of rice cakes/puffed rice: very easy to digest!

Another good option is to soak porridge oats in rice milk overnight in the fridge (I use a tupperware tub), then heat them up gently in a saucepan: that's really easy to digest too. I throw in some chopped dates/prunes and raisins/sultanas to make it a bit more interesting.

But you know all this: you've been bigger than me, you have way more experience than me and you know how to bulk up -

................../

Just do it \/

d: P