Robert's Training Journal - A Tale of Yeah's and Buddy's

Thanks guys. I'll work on it for sure, I'm taking the suggestions seriously.

I trained hard 5 of the last 6 days. I've been traveling but I've been training too.

I look forward to getting home and beginning a new training style for me

I really will give it a go and track results.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can barely walk Legs and abs yesterday. I trained biceps 2 of those days But then did some training for photos so that was just arms and chest so I guess 3 times for biceps

But I covered all muscle groups this week, just a little more for biceps and arms.

I go back home tomorrow and I'll work on new training programs. That question you asked me recently is one I've asked myself a bunch of times:

"Do I want to stay the same weight forever?"

The answer is "no." I just need to take action to make that happen!

Thanks for the kick in the pants!

Hey Jonathan, you'll be happy. My last training session involved no machines

Just barbells and free weights, and that's it! I lifted pretty heavy too. Heavy, compound lifts for 5 reps or so each set. I was in there less than an hour too.

I'll look over the recommendations again and try to keep up with my training journal.

It's fun lifting heavy again

Yeah, I know. It's about time!

Hey, today I trained in the morning before heading out of town (traveling a lot these days) and I only used dumbells the whole time. No machines, nothing but dumbbells for shoulders this morning.

I did overhead presses, shrugs, lateral raises, front raises and posterior delt raises. I was in and out in 40 minutes and was using 100-lb dumbbells which is pretty light for shrugs, but it was still good. I tried to lift pretty heavy for all exercises.

I'm going to start something new...just for fun. I'm going to train machine-less for a while and see how it goes. Just dumbbells, barbells, pull-up bars, dip bars, and bodyweight exercises to warm up.

I hope to see some good results from it.

Yeah, I know. It's about time!

Hey, today I trained in the morning before heading out of town (traveling a lot these days) and I only used dumbells the whole time. No machines, nothing but dumbbells for shoulders this morning.

I did overhead presses, shrugs, lateral raises, front raises and posterior delt raises. I was in and out in 40 minutes and was using 100-lb dumbbells which is pretty light for shrugs, but it was still good. I tried to lift pretty heavy for all exercises.

I'm going to start something new...just for fun. I'm going to train machine-less for a while and see how it goes. Just dumbbells, barbells, pull-up bars, dip bars, and bodyweight exercises to warm up.

I hope to see some good results from it.

That's pretty cool Robert ! What's you best thing to do as you're training your rotatorcuf ?

To not get injured

The rotator cuff is susceptible to injury so I have to be careful. I've had a few injuries there in the past. I just try to warm up properly, do the exercises, do some range of motion and light stretching during the workouts and hope to stay injury-free.

I do a variety of dumbbell raises for the shoulder, presses, etc. and I get a pretty good workout for that area and the whole shoulder girdle.

Free weights for now on.......

To not get injured

The rotator cuff is susceptible to injury so I have to be careful. I've had a few injuries there in the past. I just try to warm up properly, do the exercises, do some range of motion and light stretching during the workouts and hope to stay injury-free.

I do a variety of dumbbell raises for the shoulder, presses, etc. and I get a pretty good workout for that area and the whole shoulder girdle.

Free weights for now on.......

Beauty, Thank-You Robert...

No problem.

Today I broke my no machine rule for legs. I'm still not doing squats because of back injuries that still give me trouble so I did 6 sets of leg press, 6 sets leg extensions, 2 sets of hamstring curls and then 3 sets of lunges holding dumbbells and then 5 sets of seated calf raises.

I was there for slightly over an hour. I compete in less than a week so it will be interesting to see what kind of shape I'm in on Saturday.

Now I'm hungry and getting sleepy.

I trained my back last night and used only free weights aside from 5 sets of lat pull-downs as a warm up.

It was a really good workout and consisted of:

Hyperextensions for lower back

Bent-over rows for mid back

One arm dumbbell rows for lats and upper back

Pull-ups for lats and whole back

I was there for about 45-50 minutes and it felt really good.

I did a light workout tonight for arms and shoulders and I rode the bike for about 40 minutes. Just a tiny bit of cardio since I have my show on Saturday (in 3 days). I'm still bulking and not dieting down for this contest. I even ate vegan ice cream today and had 4 burritos yesterday. I'm going to have fun and see what happens. I may look out of shape, or perhaps I'll look just fine or even good or great. I'm not sure yet, I haven't posed much. I'll pose tomorrow and Friday and take a look It should be fun on Saturday!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still training. I'm training with LizWorld and it's awesome! She pushes me very hard. I know there are other forum member combos training together right now, visiting each other, etc. and it's awesome!

Time for sleep, early training session tomorrow.

As I said last time......I'm still training, just lazy about posting in my journal and having so much fun with LizWorld! Today she killed my legs. I was almost crying again and I had to take a break because I felt ill from working so hard. She made me dinner and a protein shake as well, and she's just awesome in general.

She hopes to get me in great shape for my next contest. It is in early August so not too much longer now.

Almost time for bed and then back to training tomorrow!

I know. I need you here to punish me in the gym! Make me cry in the gym like on leg days

I do need to keep a better log. I didn't really record any of our workouts and I absolutely need to be more consistent and focused if I want to achieve the goals I have set for myself. I will really start to work on this and hopefully make some good progress.

Today I helped Eric move in, so I did some heavy lifting, but not proper training.

I trained legs today.

I was without a car so I walked about 4 miles total and ran about a mile today. Then I trained legs at the gym and it went well.

There were 7 sets of leg press

There were 4 sets of lunges

There were 4 or 5 sets of leg extensions

There were 5 sets of calf raises

There were 4 sets of wall sits

And it was good.

I should be back tomorrow for another muscle group. I hope to get back on track soon and make some good gains. I'm still focusing on compound movements when I'm able to and I'm trying to lift heavier and use lower reps.

I trained abs for a hour tonight and then sat in the sauna for about 15-20 minutes.

The workout was nice and it consisted of:

Crunches to the front and side

Machine ab crunch

Cable crunches

Hanging leg raises

Bridge

Lying Leg Raises

Good stuff and then I came home to have some Vega, some yams, and posted some videos and headed to bed.

Yeah, my log isn't very descriptive, but I'm back in the gym

You'll have to watch my videos to see how the yams are prepared

I just boil some water, throw them in, they get soft, I eat them and I enjoy them

Thanks for checking in and we'll have to meet up again one of these days. I'm budgeting better now so I'll have a little more flexibility over the coming months.

I'll train arms today. Right now I'm having some oats

I'll take raw jam but not raw yam

Ok, lots to do.............Vegan Vacation meetings today, some Vega work, need to ship something in the mail, head over to food fight, and then train later on tonight.

And of course, probably make more videos