Static Contraction Training

I have recently come across a form of training (Static Contraction) whereby you do static holds of a few exercises for 10-20 seconds (sometimes less). They claim to have done major research on this type of regimine with field trials and the gains have been very impressive, with limited risk of injury.

The logis is: you hold the weight roughly 2-inches shy of full lockout, allowing you to lift much more weight than you normally would (50%-100% more), in your muscles strongest point. This applies GREAT FORCE to the muscle in a short period of time, which ultimately is what stimulates growth.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sisco6.htm

Does anybody on this board train using this philosophy?

How is it going for you?

I'm pretty skeptical of this type of training for numerous reasons -

1. Holding any position just shy of lockout (particularly with bench or overhead work) can be disastrous if you have any issues with keeping stable or if you manage to strain yourself and lose the weight down back on yourself. Both of those lifts aren't the greatest to do in this manner unless you've got a great spotting system or someone who can get you out of harm's way in a moment's notice.

2. Static contractions work well when locked out because they contribute to building tendon and ligament strength because you can easily overload the weight when locked out. Without locking out and doing a hold, you'll have to use far less weight to keep the weight held at a position, and in that event you're going to build less overall strength because you're using less weight than you're capable of. What would be more effective is taking, say, 120% of your normal max in a lift and doing lockout reps with it or holds.

3. Nothing builds overall size and strength than taking a lift through a full range of motion. There's no point in being able to hold a 300 lb. bench just shy of lockout if you can't make a full bench with 200 lbs., unless you're specifically working to strengthen your lockout for the full range. It just isn't very functional.

4. I'm trying to imagine how in the heck you'd strengthen your back well with holding something just shy of lockout, be it rowing or deadlifting. Both would have some serious injury potential to hold in a position without hitting lockout or lowering the weight just beforehand, so that'd be a bad idea overall.

5. Everyone here knows that I'm an huge advocate of leg work and I argue that squatting is not bad for the knees if done properly, but somehow the knee shear of having a crapload of weight on a leg press held just shy of lockout does NOT sound like a good plan to me if you want to stay injury-free. That, and I'm really, really skeptical about the notion that you'll make anything near the following claims from doing this:

Increased static strength 51.3%

Increased their full range 1-rep max 27.6%

Increased their full range 10-rep max 34.3%

Added 9.0 pounds of new muscle (one subject added 28.9 pounds!)

Lost 4.9 pounds of fat

Added ½ inch to their biceps

Added 1.1 inches to their chest

This list reads like a really bad supplement ad for the latest overpriced powder of some sort, and that's the kind of hype that turns me off when it comes to credibility of a program or product. 99.9% of the time it is BS.

It's one of those things that sounds semi-plausible in theory, but there's just too many holes in it to consider it as being the basis of training. Perhaps something fun to do once a month for variety's sake, but as the foundation to getting bigger and stronger I'd say to forget that one. There are a lot of wacky training ideas that claim to be based on "science" that really don't do a lick of good, so always be cautious about a program that claims to do something that sounds too good to be true.

Your points make sense, but the logic of the whole STC training does seen reasable --> that by exerting a signficiantly greater load than normal in a small period of time creates a high degree of POWER. utlimately, this is what builds the muscle.

I've been doing a very very crude form of testing this over the past week. I haven't been to the gym, but have been doing inclined push up holds (a few inches before lockout) for a few minutes a day. I haven't done ANY full pushups. I was just curious to see if the technique would have any effect.

I'm a weakling and couldn't do more than 20 PUs nonstop a weekago. I did 30 yesterday and wasn;t at full fatigue after doing 4 days of the static holds. I was totally surprised. This is not scientific by any means...but I'll keep testing and see where it goes!

I agree to VE!

I tried SCT for some weeks and it was good for only one reason: Now I know what is feels like to put really heavy weights on!

The reason I stopped was that my back could not handle the weights which my extremities could handle. For example I trained with about 500 lbs squats after the third training. My core-muscles could not handle it.

The same ebook I read went over power factor training. You do a small range of motion. I did try it for a while, and I did make some gains. I dont think I made much by way of mass, but as the book explains I did make a strength gain in that I could do my routine faster. I cut my time in half in a month. I agree doing a full range is best though. I also wasn't aware of the risks of SCT...Thanks Ryan.

Your points make sense, but the logic of the whole STC training does seen reasable --> that by exerting a signficiantly greater load than normal in a small period of time creates a high degree of POWER. utlimately, this is what builds the muscle.

But, there are other ways to do this, and in manners that have better practical application. For example, I've heard good things about occasional training with isometrics (pushing or pulling against immovable objects, often done with a barbell in various positions of a lift inside of a power rack) as you can do somewhat of the same thing in various angles of a lift rather than just one position. You can still succeed without necessarily having to overload if you still exert maximum effort particularly in the areas that are sticking points. If excessive overload was required for maximum gains, the 99.99% of people who never train that way would be getting inferior results, so anything that claims that it is the BEST way to make gains would seem to be pulling our leg with that one. Yes, there's a need to always overload in time to continue to progress, whether it be through adding more reps or increased weight, but anything that promises great resulsts in reduced time seems to be aimed at those who want the easy way out. Things that make heavy claims usually tend to disappoint. I've used the example of lifting programs that are boastful of the possible results being much like overhyped diet pills - if anything of that nature worked as well as it claims for everyone, people would have to pay big money for it and EVERYONE would use it! The claim that someone added nearly 30 lbs. of lean mass in a short time made me laugh so hard I nearly fell out of my chair - the only way that could be done in a short span is with steriods, and even then, that's stretching the limits of what you could gain even with taking them!

Also, the term power seems to be misused in the article - power by definition is very different from an overloaded time under tension, basically the exact opposite of what the article would state. Here's an article that explains more regarding how power is defined:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ridgely11.htm

Power in a lift can best be personified through those that do olympic-style weightlifting. They're inarguably the people who have the greatest power output through any single lift, and they have found in past testing that anything that did not exert at least a partial movement done quickly only hurt their performance, so all lifts are done with maximum speed as increasing time under tension does not do well for increasing maximum power output. But, I digress...

If the program works for you, then by all means it has done well. But, since everyone is different there's usually a great chance that it will produce superior results for only a small fraction of those that use anything that deviates from the methods that have proven to be universally best. Nevertheless, keep us posted how it works!

I'm a weakling and couldn't do more than 20 PUs nonstop a weekago. I did 30 yesterday and wasn;t at full fatigue after doing 4 days of the static holds. I was totally surprised. This is not scientific by any means...but I'll keep testing and see where it goes!

sticking with this little experiment of mine....I have been doing only 1 set of a static hold of a push up (2 inches before lockout) each day since my last post. I haven't a full push up since my last 1 set max test.

At the time, my 1 set max for pushups was 30, today I did 37. not a bad gain!

I am gonna keep trying this...doing static hold and testing 1 set maxes and see how far I go!

This form of training is no better/less than any form of training as long as it follows the simple principal of increased intensity.

In order for muscle tissue to grow, you need to increase the demand (intensity) imposed upon it, whereas duration is relative to the type of training. This is done in 3 possible ways:

1. Increase the load - which is usually done by lifting more weight

2. Do more work in the same unit of time (ie 30 minute workout)

3. Do the same amount of work in less time - usually by shortening the rest periods between sets, or perhaps lifting the weights faster. so if your workout usually takes 30 minutes to do, and you finish it in 20 minutes, you're good to go.

As long as you follow these 3 principals, you can grow with any style of training.

I tried SCT for awhile, and although it was a nice change of pace, I was not comfortable lifting such heavy amounts of weight, especially where it could come crashing down on me, or cause strains and injuries (as with an excessive loaded squat bar)

• 2 weeks later...

Ravi,

I have done it, and liked it. (SCT that is...) Remember to 1) breath, your blood pressure ignites under this type of strain. 2) If you have worked into heavy weights you have two options A) use machines, B) if you don't have access to these machines use spotters. (But, as a previous poster stated, and I know from experience, deadlift and squats, with SCT is not optimal.) If you don't have either then do bodyweight holds (pull ups, push ups- which you seem to be doing, etc.). I have done static push ups, pulls ups and body weight squats. They're good when I have been on the road. Of course the "old" legs parallel to the floor wall sit is the same principle. I think they are just another take on the isometric idea. (See http://www.maxalding.co.uk)

Jon

Cool, I did my first full-on static contraction training session in the weight room last sunday. Of course, I had a spotter.

I felt great after the workout, and the next few days I really felt it (sore) but wasn't so crippled that I couldn't function properly. My muscles felt like they had been pushed in a way that I've never felt before. I've done plenty of endurance sports (use to be an ironman triathlete) and lot of higher rep workouts, but lifting heavy weights is very new to me.

My muscles were really pumped after the workout, and it took no time at all. For several days the feeling was still there.

I'll head to the gym for workout #2 sometime this week.

I love the way these fitness gurus market there stuff.

SCT = A form of Isometrics, its nothing new. There is an old school book with the same philosophy on iron mind, I own it and it quite sweet. The only difference being isometrics are performed throughout the whole range of movement.

This kind of training is good for building the ends of your muscles: were as concentric and eccentric focuses more on the belly.

I perform isometrics on occasion, its part of every MA'a regime as well as bodybuilders (posing in the mirror is isometric training)

yup, I agree....people are really good at rehashing old wisdom

regardless, reading about (it may be old school knowledge, but it is new to me) has given me some motivation to keep trying it out and see how gains come along.

I just posted an update to my blog ((http://sethigherstandards.com/?p=17) on my experience with isometrics: copied the text below in case anyone is interested:

Along with the static contraction weight training, I’ve been working on bodyweight exercises. If static contraction techniques in the weight room can help you develop more top-end power and strength, I think that bodyweight exercises are great to build lasting strength and endurance. I think the two compliment each other. Plus, it is just so much easier to drop and do a few dozen push ups than to head to the gym.

Lately, I’ve decided to mash-up the two! I have been working static holds into my bodyweight exercise routine.

Most people are familiar with just pounding out push up reps or loads of crunches; but when was the last time you just held a push up for as long as you could? Most people never do this, but I think it might be a great way to stress the muscle more effectively.

The technique is this: after stretching a bit, place your arms slightly wider than shoulder width apart, and lower yourself only 3 inches. Hold this pose. Do not go too far down. Your arms should be almost (but not at) their point of complete lock-out.

The first time I did this I thought I could hold it forever (back on April 30th)….I made it 30 seconds before collapsing. Two weeks ago I made it for 2 min 30 seconds! I have been doing holds since then but haven’t timed myself. Will do a spot check later this week to see where I am at.

In parellel, I’ve been testing my 1 set max for pushups. I have been curious to see how only doing this minimal amount of training would help me progress. Here is my 1 set push up max has progressed in the past month:

* May 7th: 30

* May 14th: 37

* May 16th: 38

* May 29th: 41

* (today) June 6th: 44

I haven’t been trying to set a personal record each time…but it has ended up happenng. Between May7th and today I have primarily been doing static push holds (one hold to failure every other day) in between my one-rep max tests. I have also done (3-4 times) some Hindu Pushups (yoga combo of downward/plank/upward dog), a few yoga classes and 1 full-on weight room session.

The point is, I am finding my self making some reasonable progress by only doing 1 set of static push ups every other day or so. Could I attribute the gains to the other random stuff I do? Perhaps, but when I was really into doing pushups in high school it tool me a very long time to make the progress I have made in the past month, and I worked a heck of a lot harder! I think there is something to this technique.

I’ll keep going and see where it leads me. My personal best for nonstop push-ups is 52. If I can beat 60 using this method…I will be a true believer!

time for another check-in! This time I was testing progressing in how long I could hold a push-up position (about 3 inches from lockout with good form).

I just posted the results to my blog (http://sethigherstandards.com/?p=22).

Here it is:

I wrote on Tuesday how my 1 rep max for push ups was progressing. The progress has come about by primarily doing static holds in the push up position every other day, along with some cross-training. Today, I did a quick check in on my max time for a single push up hold. Again, read my last post for a note about the technique I am using.

Here is a recap of progress for 1 set max push up reps:

* May 7th: 30

* May 14th: 37

* May 16th: 38

* May 29th: 41

* June 6th: 44

Here is the progress of max time for a single push up hold:

* April 29th: 20 seconds

* May 9th: 1 min 25 seconds

* May 14th: 1 min 45 seconds

* May 18th: 2 min

* May 23rd: 2 min 6 seconds

* May 26th: 2 min 30 seconds

* (Today) June 8th: 2 min 48 seconds

For each of these “tests,” I am completely struggling to keep myself up towards the end of each set and actually stop the time when my arms totally give out. It is pretty interesting to look back 1 month from today and see that my time has almost doubled!

I am excited. Progress is coming along.

I plan to do another 1 rep max push up test on Monday.

• 2 weeks later...

Another week and more gains! Here is the progression:

* April 29th: 20 seconds

* May 9th: 1 min 25 seconds

* May 14th: 1 min 45 seconds

* May 18th: 2 min

* May 23rd: 2 min 6 seconds

* May 26th: 2 min 30 seconds

* June 8th: 2min 48 seconds

* (Today) June 17th: 3min 7 seconds

I kinda did something similar with squats...it was of great mental benefit to do these. When I was working my way back up to 550 and ultimately 600 I would rack and hold 800lbs on the bar until I dropped it in the power rack...then I'd do it again over and over. I'm not quite sure how much stronger it made me but it definately made my sets with 500 feel alteast 50lbs lighter.