eat meat and still call yourself vegan???

endcruelty

so....?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

does this sound a little.........wrong to anybody???????

i bet most people here know peter singer and his words, but i must say, i dunno if i can label him as vegan and that kinda dissappoints me ..... he calls himself a "flexible vegan" where he'll vegan at home but eat a non-vegan meal at a restaurant

"As you were saying before with the steak, there’s a little bit of room for indulgence in all of our lives. I know some people who are vegan in their homes but if they’re going out to a fancy restaurant, they allow themselves the luxury of not being vegan that evening. I don’t see anything really wrong with that."

http://www.motherjones.com/interview/2006/04/peter_singer.html

From the transcript, one can not tell positively but from reading the transcript I think two things are likely:

1) I am not sure if he really means meat or just being vegetarian (diary or eggs) during those times. Based on all his says, in entire interview, I would think no meat but hard to tell.

2) It might be meat because he is talking about a "person", in general and his utilitarian beliefs would likely find that as more ethical than someone eating meat all the time.

Also, for "himself" he states: "I don’t eat meat. I’ve been a vegetarian since 1971. I’ve gradually become increasingly vegan. I am largely vegan but I’m a flexible vegan. I don’t go to the supermarket and buy non-vegan stuff for myself. But when I’m traveling or going to other people’s places I will be quite happy to eat vegetarian rather than vegan."

So his flexible veganism is vegan when he has control and other times is vegetarian. That is probably true for most of us, to some degree. We can not know if we get some diary or eggs or even meat in restaurant orders and some already prepared grocery items.

So his flexible veganism is vegan when he has control and other times is vegetarian. That is probably true for most of us, to some degree. We can not know if we get some diary or eggs or even meat in restaurant orders and some already prepared grocery items.

Not really! That's why I only eat at veganrestaurants. If for some reason I have to eat at a normal restaurant (family dinner) I'll just order a salad without dressing. Seriously, I don't mean to judge anybody but 'flexible veganism'? Come on.. Of course it's better than not being vegan at all, but you are in control, at all times.

Sacco

Not really! That's why I only eat at veganrestaurants. If for some reason I have to eat at a normal restaurant (family dinner) I'll just order a salad without dressing. Seriously, I don't mean to judge anybody but 'flexible veganism'? Come on.. Of course it's better than not being vegan at all, but you are in control, at all times.

Sacco

I think there's one vegan restaurant within a 50 mile radius of where I live. Eh. I suppose there might be something hiding, but most likely there is literally only a single vegetarian/vegan restaurant within a 50 mile radius.

We don't all live in Holland.

I don't think he is claiming to be vegan. He says he doesn't buy non-vegan stuff at the supermarket, but he eats vegetarian rather than vegan when he's travelling or at people's places.

I've also read another interview with him where he said he had been eating clams

Whatever the case the label doesn't mean anything to me anyway. I imagine the guy consumes only a tiny fraction of the amount of animal products that most people in the U.S. or Australia consume

"I know some people who are vegan in their homes but if they’re going out to a fancy restaurant, they allow themselves the luxury of not being vegan that evening. I don’t see anything really wrong with that."

Oh, that REALLY helps the cause!

Looks like he's trying to have it both ways: wants to be a vegan (because it's cool? or rebellious?) but wants to eat his dead animal carcass.

It also makes it sound like being vegan is a deprivation of some sort (which most non-vegans think it is anyway), and only meat can be a luxury.

And I thought the fish-and/or-chicken-eating "vegatarians" were bad.

Whats funny is I've become more Vegan before joining the forum, than I was.. as in. I am Lacto-veg and maybe one day I'll give it up.. but I dont want to take the VEGAN label and then "cheat" on exceptions.

I know that my conditions make it difficult enough to be vegetarian in the united states. My family n diet outside the us is lacto-veg and has been for generations (in india) so thats not going to change when I visit them.

But, I'd say if you cant go super vegan when outside.. while travelling it might be okay for some people.. but more power to the "pure vegan" .

My father emphasizes on "pure vegetarian" when ordering food while travelling.

Maybe the oil tables will deplete and we will go back to TRIBE style living and factory farming of animals will cease to exist. People will go old school.

PS: No offence intended.. hehe im sleepy. Just my 2 cents.

Eat the way you want to eat, and fuck what anyone else thinks.

So he eats vegan at home, and vegetarian when he goes out to restaurants. Does that make him less of a person somehow? Anyone who would condemn or criticize him for that is a more despicable person that he is.

• 3 weeks later...

Is someone still a virgin if they have sex when they're on vacation??? I don't think so. This is complete nonsense and I just lost complete respect for him...his book has done alot for animals but he's kinda like the local priest that everyone loves but when nobody pays attention he touches little kids!!! Absolute craziness...now he reminds me of George Bush...talking about compassion and helping people but knowingly doing things to the contrary.

Well, he doesn't say he eats meat. Here is the quote:

"S: I don’t eat meat. I’ve been a vegetarian since 1971. I’ve gradually become increasingly vegan. I am largely vegan but I’m a flexible vegan. I don’t go to the supermarket and buy non-vegan stuff for myself. But when I’m traveling or going to other people’s places I will be quite happy to eat vegetarian rather than vegan."

If everyone was like him, the plight of animals would be much much better in this country. I am not justifying dairy products, but I think Professor Singer has done a huge amount for the cause of easing animal opression, and we would be more than unfair to chastize him for gradually switching to veganism from vegetarianism.

-JB

Honesty when I became vegan I felt worse about being vegetarian than not. I realized that I was eating more dairy than ever and making up for not eating meat. A friend of mine I met after I turned vegan reenforced this when he said he's rather be a beef cow than a dairy cow. He said atleast they are killed as soon as they are big enough. Veal calves are treated terribly from birth and dairy cows have their terrible lives extended as long as possible(not that beef cows have it good but the end is a goal for farmers...dairy farmer don't want their cows to have to be slaughtered). In the end they all die in the same slaughter house but the journey there is worse for a dairy cow than that of beef cattle. I know vegetarianism is more often than not a step towards veganism and that is great but if the second step is not taken it might even be better to take a step backwards...it sounds terrible but I'm trying to look at it as a cow and not as a person.

• 2 months later...
"As you were saying before with the steak, there’s a little bit of room for indulgence in all of our lives. I know some people who are vegan in their homes but if they’re going out to a fancy restaurant, they allow themselves the luxury of not being vegan that evening. I don’t see anything really wrong with that."

Two key words here are "indulgence" and "luxurious" - carefully selected words chosen to make what he is doing sound so much more wonderful and desirable than the alternative (which would be to be vegan rather than vegetarian)

It is bad enough that he actively, deliberately, and needlessly opts to support the abuse, exploitation and killing of animals by supporting the animal abuse industries, but to then go on to call himself vegan is a further disrespectful form of rudeness to vegans everywhere.

... As if veganism is some sort of whimsical and superficial thing which only matters when you find it convenient not to consume animal products, or something....

A friend of mine I met after I turned vegan reenforced this when he said he'd rather be a beef cow than a dairy cow.

He said atleast they are killed as soon as they are big enough.

Did your friend understand that 'beef cows' and 'dairy cows' are the same cows ?

I mean, the majority of beef is made using the bodies of old , worn out dairy cows..... so it's not an either/or choice to pick between which has the least horrible treatment.

I would rather be a highland cow than a cow who has been domesticated then exploited and abused for the purpose of humans needlessly consuming my flesh and body fluids against my wishes.

'Dairy farmers' are more than happy for their cows to be slaughtered once they start to become less profitable (due to overwork leading to acelerated ageing in many cases) , as then they make a lot of money by selling their cadavers to humans that want to eat them.

Two key words here are "indulgence" and "luxurious" - carefully selected words chosen to make what he is doing sound so much more wonderful and desirable than the alternative (which would be to be vegan rather than vegetarian)

A very good point.

And someone who promotes veganism yet considersw meat as somehow more 'indulgent' or "luxurious" is a very odd concept to me, to say the least. As if we vegans are choosing a 'pauper's' diet, and really wish that we ate meat instead.

I think it would actually be more indulgent and luxurious to eat human flesh. Perhaps the flesh of a young child from a rare race of people? Or maybe a Hunza baby.

I went through a phase of being a baby-on-a-stick-vegan (aka. a 'flexi-vegan') , and found that to be very satisfactory.

The flesh was of a very high quality, and was succulently luxurious and indulgent to consume. They weren't factory farmed so i cut myself some slack there, especially since they were local so i could see how they were treated before i killed them, and i was ecstatic with delight at the prospect of eating one at friends' houses.

Sadly, I'm now a bit more 'fanatical' about being vegan, and tend to deprive myself of this desirable delicacy..... but such is the way of the 'militant vegan'

*sigh.... I feel like -such- a martyr.