3 Poisons: Salt, Vinegar, Bragg Liquid Aminos

3 Poisons: Salt, Vinegar, Bragg Liquid Aminos

Salt is Not Healthful

by David Klein

“Hardening and thickening of the tissues occurs in any and all parts of the body to resist constant irritation. This can be seen in the mouth, stomach and intestines of those who employ salt and condiments.” - Dr. Herbert M. Shelton

Salt preserves dead “food”, i.e. retards bacterial decomposition, because bacteria cannot live in salted fare. Don’t get in a pickle!

The major component of sea salt is sodium chloride, which is also the major component of table salt. Sea salt is touted as being healthier that table salt because the former has more trace minerals and the latter is heat processed. Nonetheless, sodium chloride in any form is extremely toxic--it impairs all of our metabolic and cellular functions. Because it is toxic, the body retains water to dilute the toxicity so we don't die. This is edema, and it can result in headaches and heart irregularity. When we are retaining water, the fluid balance in the body is out of balance and cellular transport is impaired. The body needs to maintain the fluid pressure inside the cells at a specific ratio to the fluid pressure outside of the cells. When we have extra high fluid pressure outside of the cells as a result of salt eating, the cells are not able to efficiently transport normal metabolic wastes out of the cells, thus we become more and more toxic, leading to chronic fatigue and illness. Furthermore, the body needs to maintain specific concentration ratios of sodium to potassium inside and outside of the cells for proper functioning. A high salt diet leads to excess sodium becoming “locked into” to cells, creating cellular dysfunction. This has been linked to many modern diseases, including cancer, diabetes, hardening of arteries, strokes, hypertension, kidney disease, nervous disorders, and osteoporosis.

Also, cooking releases the minerals from the cells of plant foods, the heat deaminates the organic molecules, and you end up bathing your body in inorganic minerals which combine and form inorganic mineral salts, such as sodium chloride, which poison the body and cause scarring and the the destruction of tissues including blood vessels. Our tissues are too sensitive to deal with something as caustic as salt.

We need mineral salts containing a broad spectrum of minerals in our diet in order to maintain a strong body and peak health – that much is clear. For humans, mineral salts are naturally derived in usable, nontoxic organic form from the fresh raw juices of fruits and plants. We naturally have an appetite for unadulterated mineral-rich foods. But most people who have grown up addling salt to their food and eating salted products don't realize that salt, whether it be common table salt or sea salt, is irritating and toxic to the body in any amount. It is unnecessary to for health and offensive as well as deadening to pristine taste buds.

Ionic salt in inorganic form, such as crystals, is poisonous to the body in any quantity. Sodium chloride acidifies the body. As you may know, salt is used to “pickle” or preserve dead foods – nothing, not even bacteria, can live in a salt-saturated environment. One ounce will kill most people. A little salt won't harm a vigorous person because a vigorous body can usually excrete it; however, regular ingestion of even small amounts of toxic substances will build up and catch up with us eventually. Meanwhile, the ingestion of a little bit of salt by a person with compromised health may accelerate his or her demise, and chronic salt intake may cause death.

Salt wrecks our vitality and corrodes living tissue. With salt, the body swells up, retaining many times the salt’s weight in water to dilute the toxicity. The tissues become dehydrated, our gastrointestinal tract becomes irritated, and cellular detoxification, metabolism and mental functions are impaired. Salt perverts our sense of taste and often leads to disordered eating, causing or contributing to a myriad of other conditions (e.g., Alzheimer's, atherosclerosis, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, kidney disease, liver disease, lupus, osteoporosis, and migraines), which all adds up to suffering and early death. Hygienic physicians and health coaches such as myself have seen over and over that people with illness and chronic fatigue are not able to heal while ingesting salt or salty products. Health recovery and reversal of disease happens virtually every time on an appropriate salt-free, low-fat, raw organic diet with conservative care.

Letting go of the salt habit may not seem easy. Through years of habituation to salty complex fare, the mind becomes conditioned to believe in salting food, and the tenacity of many raw foodist's insistence on continuing the salting and eating of salted products is as strong as the salty taste itself – when it’s in our system, we automatically want to taste more of it. The mind has fooled many a health seeker into adopting “gourmet” habits which really don’t serve his or her health goals. When asked, “How do I overcome my salt cravings?”, I respond by saying that after a few weeks of abstinence the cravings will disappear. We only crave unnatural substances when they are present in the bloodstream and saliva. Overcoming salt addiction is a challenge which every determined person I know has met with success. After a few weeks of detoxification on a salt-free, low-fat raw food diet, most people experience improved metabolism and energy, and, in many cases, they heal rapidly.

As long as we have salt in our diet, we cannot effectively detoxify, lose excess weight and completely heal. Once we discontinue salt, it can take many as a few years to offload all of the excess sodium. The U.S. dietary guideline makers who allow a few grams of salt in the diet every day are unaware of the toxic effects of such, or are o.k. with toxic fare in the diet in moderation. Of course, a toxin is a toxin and has enervating and potentially harmful synergistic effects in any amount.

Two of my health-minded friends just had crippling strokes. Is it worth it to eat anything with salt in it, or to think of cooked food as healthful? Raw fooders, there is nothing healthful about Bragg Liquid Aminos, tamari, namu shoyu, soy sauce, miso, salted olives, salted crackers, salted raw food recipes. Rinse the inorganic salt off your sea veggies! Salt does not enhance flavor, but, rather, it overpowers your taste buds and eventually numbs them out. We get healthful organic mineral salts from the juices inside raw foods.

A lengthy in-depth article covering the science behind these assertions and revealing more of the physiological evidence of salt toxicity will appear in vol. 17 of Living Nutrition. Until then, you might do your own research (beware of product sales pitches!) and read The Salt Conspiracy by Victoria BidWell.

-----------------------

THE TRUTH ABOUT VINEGAR

by Kenneth S. Jaffrey, Naturopath

from his book “Natural Foods”

Published by Kenneth S. Jaffrey, 9 Mandalay Avenue, Nelly Bay, Qld. 4819 Australia, 1985

Vinegar is a poison and even when dignified by the addition of the words “Apple cider” it is still a poison. Vinegar is diluted acetic acid. It is obtained by conversion of alcohol into an acid by the bacterium Mycoderma Aceti. Vinegar may be made from any saccharine solution and therefore any fruit may be used as a base. There are many types of vinegar. The commonest in this country is Malt or Beer Vinegar. Every country has its standard or traditional vinegar. Malt vinegar is best known on Great Britain and Australia and surrounding countries. Apple cider vinegar is the standard vinegar in the United States of America. Some other types of vinegar are: Raspberry, Guava, Pineapple, Raisin, Date, Brandy and Spirit Vinegar. Each vinegar has a slightly distinctive flavour derived from tiny traces of unfermented fruit which remain mixed with the acetic acid. In recent years vinegar has achieved new popularity due to the publication of several books by American doctors and others. As the writers are Americans they naturally recommend the traditional Apple cider vinegar.

The Vinegar Cure can be traced back to many years before the American doctor who re-started the Vinegar craze was born. It is widely used as a home remedy for both internal and external use for at least tow hundred years. It fell into disuse and then was resurrected about 1820 by Mr. Frank Coutts, a Scottish vinegar manufacturer, who wrote a book called The Acetic Acid Cure or the Spinal system of Treatment. Mr. Coutts believed that vinegar would cure all ailments that mankind was heir to. Vinegar was administered internally, massaged vigorously into the spine and washed gently over the skin. But...the vinegar HAD to be a special type sold by Mr. Coutts which had happened to be Malt Vinegar.

About one hundred years later, in 1958, Dr. Jarvis wrote in his book Folk Medicine in which he recommended (among other things) the Vinegar Cure. This time the vinegar HAD to be Apple Cider Vinegar. Malt or Wine Vinegar would not do. As an added attraction he combined the Vinegar Cure with Honey. The vinegar craze grew and spread all over the world.

Vinegar, no matter what its origin may be, is still acetic acid and is most unsuitable for human consumption. The highly corrosive and irritating acid hardens the liver, unduly stimulates and irritates the digestive glands, interferes with the formation of red blood corpuscles and, through its constant irritating effect upon the mucus membranes, of the intestinal canal, is one of the chief causes of ulceration, catarrh, and indirectly, cancer. IT is also a prime cause of stomach ulceration.

Vinegar is useless as a cure for disease. It is harmful and should be rigidly excluded from the diet. It acts like a counter-irritant but does not have any beneficial effect. Like every other drug, it does have the effect of altering the course of a disease by suppression, but does not cure. Vinegar has caused many illnesses and even death. Post-mortem examination reveals that vinegar produces scalded mouth and a greyish-white condition of the stomach mucosa. Two deaths have recently been reported in Australia.

If you still persist in consuming vinegar, either as a food or a remedy, remember -- you have been warned.

----------------------------------

BRAGG LIQUID AMINOS: TOXIC AND UNHEALTHFUL

Compiled by David Klein

www.livingnutrition.com

Below is information I received from an associate on the saltiness of Bragg Liquid Aminos. Below is the text from her letter. Before I get to it, I’ll give some background information on her, so you’ll know where she is coming from.

Griselda Blazey has a B.S. in biology, a M.S. is biochemistry, and a Ph.D. (actually a postdoctorate) in endocrinology. She also has a degree from the now defunct College of Dietary Therapy in England. She authored a book, "Food Matters", and a workbook called, "Nutritional Transformation," and used to teach a course by that name. She taught cell physiology, metabolic disorders, and nutrition at Life Chiropractic College West, in San Leandro, California in the mid-1990s then moved on the New Zealand and has been teaching at colleges there. The first time I heard her theory on the saltiness of Bragg Liquid Aminos was during a lecture she gave at a San Francisco Living Foods Support Group meeting a few years ago. Here is the text from her letter:

"The other topic you asked about in your letter was about how Bragg Aminos are made. Once again, here’s an armchair biologist’s answer, meaning that I don’t know this for sure, but it’s the only thing that makes scientific sense. If I were given some vegetable protein and were asked to make it into amino acids without spending a lot of money on it, I would boil it up with some hydrochloric acid. This would break it down to amino acids, but of course it would be too acidic to be palatable. So I would then neutralize the acid with baking soda, causing the reaction mixture to look like this:

2HCl + Na2CO3 ===> 2NaCl + CO2 + H2O

So the salt gets made by mistake as it were. Now someone (I forget who) followed up on this and contacted the Bragg company to ask if this was how they did it, and they denied it. However, they didn’t disclose how they do actually do it, so in the absence of correct information, and with an extremely salty taste in their product, I still consider the above process to play at least some part in their procedure."

Salt, or sodium, or NA+, is absolutely essential for the functioning of the human brain, nervous system, and the human body. Without salt intake, we would die. From what I have heard and read, excess salt is mainly a concern for the elderly/those with heart and vascular problems.

And I thought vinegar was beneficial and an antioxidant? I mean, Vitamin C is bad too if you take 20 grams at a time, but that doesnt mean we should avoid it altogether...

Joel

Too much salt can make your blood pressure go up, even if you aren't elderly or don't have heart problems. My blood pressure used to be above average even in my early 20s, but then I started eating a low sodium diet and my blood pressure went to optimum level

I have had lots of spots (pimples) in my face and on my back till age 26. Even the hardest antibiotics wouldn't help. Apple cider vinegar did. I am 34 yrs now and I have never had any problems again with spots even though I don't use any vinegar anymore.

Be aware that acid products do not have to be acid inside your body (like lots of fruits). On the other hand cooked food is even more acid inside your body than you would ever think. That's why I prefer a raw lifestyle.

Hi Compash, yeah, I would use orange/lemon juice over vinegar anyday but I don't eat that way so as far as an expert opinion goes I'm not the guy.....hopefully Seasiren will see this post and have a few tips for ya!

Hey Nobbi, I didn't know you was into raw stuff.

I have had lots of spots (pimples) in my face and on my back till age 26. Even the hardest antibiotics wouldn't help. Apple cider vinegar did. I am 34 yrs now and I have never had any problems again with spots even though I don't use any vinegar anymore.

I'd like to know more. What kind were they and how did you fix them to go away?

I am usually skeptical of these kinds of articles - actually, I am skeptical of just about everything I read unless it is backed up by different experts. And "expert" is a relative term.....

I would want to know what is the basis for the claim that salt intake causes all of those diseases? How do they know it is the salt and not other things related to diet or other life style choices? Also, when talking about toxicity, you have to consider that everything can be toxic - it all depends on dose. Even water.

Vitamin C is ascorbic acid and citrus fruits have citric acid. Are these weak organic acids also causing damage in the same way that vinegar is?

I am usually skeptical of these kinds of articles - actually, I am skeptical of just about everything I read unless it is backed up by different experts. And "expert" is a relative term.....

I would want to know what is the basis for the claim that salt intake causes all of those diseases? How do they know it is the salt and not other things related to diet or other life style choices? Also, when talking about toxicity, you have to consider that everything can be toxic - it all depends on dose. Even water.

Vitamin C is ascorbic acid and citrus fruits have citric acid. Are these weak organic acids also causing damage in the same way that vinegar is?

No, they're not. Even though Citric acid is acidic, after the body breaks it down it has "alkaline" effects on the body.

No, they're not. Even though Citric acid is acidic, after the body breaks it down it has "alkaline" effects on the body.

I am curious - do you know how this can be? I see you work in the area of nutrition, so thought you might know why (in more detail). Biochemistry is not my field, but I do know a little chemistry.

I am curious - do you know how this can be? I see you work in the area of nutrition, so thought you might know why (in more detail). Biochemistry is not my field, but I do know a little chemistry.

I read about it a while back, but don't remember everything fully about it. It might be because citric acid breaks down relatively quick, where as other acids and cooked food take forever and a day to break down, but I don't remember fully. You can look up "Alkaline diets" on Google and I'm sure you can find it, it goes over how the sugar in fruit is acidic, but it has positive effects on the body.

Bigwbii,

So instead of vinegar, is it healthier to use lemon juice in your opinion? if vinegar is poison because it is highly acidic, then so lemon juice wouldnt it?

dumb questions i know

When I had to regenerate my liver. The Naturalist MD I went to had me drink 1 cup of Fresh lemon juice TID (3 x's per day). I believe that is what saved my liver, I love Lemons. When I use vinegar I get bloated with lemons I fell "fresh?"