Butterflies & Bugs

Bigbwii

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the butterflies killed in the name of research.

A butterfly is beautiful flying around.. not dead in a glass cage.

What was that movie 'Born Free' - about this woman adopting a lion cub.. and later releasing it back into the wild.

All the butterflies killed in the name of research.

A butterfly is beautiful flying around.. not dead in a glass cage.

WOOO - wait a second. I agree with crashnburn but when I first looked at those pics I didnt think the butterfly exhibits were real butterflies. if they were real butterflies and killed for the sake of the exhibition or research, that sucks!

???????

Well I've no idea what they died of but we got the chance to see these things up close and learn more about them and also to appreciate the ones that are alive that much more!

Just out of interest...how do you know all the bugs were killed for research?

Sorry if this has offened anyone.

Well I've no idea what they died of but we got the chance to see these things up close and learn more about them and also to appreciate the ones that are alive that much more!

Just out of interest...how do you know all the bugs were killed for research?

Sorry if this has offened anyone.

Not offended, just sad if the butterflies were murdered.

Were they real butterflies Bigbwii ? Their sizes look too uniform to be real. They are gorgeous butterflies - still, no offense, but I hope they weren't killed in the name of a collection and exhibiting their beauty.

What are those big bugs in the next to the last picture ?

Hate to break it to you but people catch those things just to collect them and then put them under glass. My ex was a novice entemologist, and I went on a few collection excursions with her. One time we ran into a real collector, and he would catch the butterflies, then would pinch them in such a way that they could not fly, then he'd put them in a kill jar. Its a jar which they put plaster on the bottom, it absorbs a toxic chemical, I forget which one, but after a little time the bugs suffocate. A lot like the gas chamber we kill convicts in. The aquatic bugs get it bad too, they get put in a jar of alcohol.

Well then that is horrible. To take butterflies and insects that are minding their own business and suffocate them so they could be exihibited? Nu huh- that wont be getting my support. I totally agree with what crashnburn said.

Thanks for clarifying college B.

Bigwbii i know how much you love and respect nature so I am sure you didnt know what the deal was - i certainly didnt before I read collegeb's post!

Me niether....but to be honest with you I would never go myself or take my daughter to supprt/see any thing where the animals were alive and were being badly treated but something like the bugs thing I would go see again....I guess it's kinda like people that would still eat eggs if the hens were well treated.

I have a different view on things like this so I hope I don't offend anyone.

Yes Will, she had a great time....she saw a bunch of stuff that she may never see again....we've always brought our kids up to be around and learn more about animals/nature good or bad and hopefully by seeing all this stuff they will have a greater respect for animals/nature when they get older.

Hey I wouldnt mind if they killed roaches. But beautiful butterflies.

Now go collect some roaches.

I wonder how many of the same species are picked up by every new entomologist to study them.

Although maybe there is some level of justification in doing it for studying them. I guess that is the modern man speaking in terms of biological research and science

But, I personally dont like the feeling.

This is an interesting issue. If the bugs were killed long ago and the museum isn't supporting current bug-killing, is it un-vegan to go?

I'm thinking about places like natural history museums, which often have stuffed (taxidermied) animals. The animals were often killing long ago as game and eventually made it into the museum's collection. I go to these places even though I am of course against the killing and stuffing of animals. I just figure that the museums are definitely not supporting such actions, that the deaths of the animals happened long ago and they are now being used to educational purposes. If a museum accepted animals currently being killed, I wouldn't go to it.

What do the rest of you think?

• 1 month later...
It is definitely a shame. dont know how can be posted that in a vegan forum.

If vegans do that. What can be done by not-vegans?

Completely agree!

I'm especially sad that you say you'd do it again, Bigbwii, even now that you know how the animals were killed

Yeah, that's a shame.

I don't mind ugly people being suppressed, too, as long as beautiful people have a nice life.

@Formica:

Ask yourself: what would you do if they exposed killed humans? Then act the same in regard to animals.

Peace,

Daywalker

It is definitely a shame. dont know how can be posted that in a vegan forum.

Completely agree!

I'm especially sad that you say you'd do it again, Bigbwii, even now that you know how the animals were killed

Yeah, that's a shame.

I don't mind ugly people being suppressed, too, as long as beautiful people have a nice life.

Peace,

Daywalker

totally agree.

It is definitely a shame. dont know how can be posted that in a vegan forum. Teaching her daughter to be speciesist. What a shame.

This is why I don't use the term vegan. There's to much stuff connected to the word.

Do you have to be a non-speciesist to post on this forum?

Vegetarian = I eat vegetation.

Vegan = ?

I think its a big double standard alot of vegans even fall into. The idea of non pushing your morals on others fits this. Alot of vegans won't do that and they say they never would for any reason but I don't think any vegan or any other moralist(in other subjects) would keep their mouth shut if they found out their best friend was a serial rapist, stole from the poor or ate babies for fun. Being non-speciesist to me is part of being a vegan but maybe not a vegetarian...vegans are just vegetarians who do more than not eat animal products...modern"vegetarians" aren't vegetarians because milk, eggs, honey are not vegetable. If I ate the same way I did now and didn't care about animals I'd only be a vegetarian, not a vegan.

@Formica:

Ask yourself: what would you do if they exposed killed humans? Then act the same in regard to animals.

There was an exhibit going around called BodyWorlds that showed human bodies. I really wanted to go to that, but I didn't get the chance. I assume the people left their bodies to science or specifically to this project, I don't know. I also assume that they generally died of natural causes, but I don't think it would bother me too much if it turned out that some of them died of unnatural causes.

So the idea of looking at human or other animal bodies for educational reasons does not bother me. The issue is how the museum/exhibits got the bodies. Obviously, if they comissioned the killing of the people/animals for the express purpose of exhibiting them, that would be horrible and I would not support it.

In the case of museums, it's my understanding that their collections (of taxidermied animals) were inherited or donated long ago, that animals were never killed just so that they could be in museums, and that museums didn't pay for their collections. Is that incorrect?

Hi guys...

To those that were offended by me posting photo's of me and my daughter visiting a local live and framed butterfly exhibition...I'm very sorry as absolutely no offense was intended.

I pride myself on being a respectful person and I raise my children to be respectful to both humans and animals and I don't intentionaly support any organisation/exhibitions that harm animals and niether do I go out of my way to harm or offend anyone or anything... this Vegan issue has highlighted to me on numerous occasions that my views are not inline with vegans or this forums and as I don't intend to change these views I feel that I should go elsewhere so as not to offend others in the future.

It's been a great experience being here and I wish all of you the best!

Take care..