2) potatoes

3) green leafies

4) tomatoes

5) kiwis

6) mushrooms

7) avocados

mangoes

9) bananas

For example, do you store them at room temp in a basket? In the crisper part of the fridge? On the top shelf of the fridge? IN a cupboard away from light perhaps? Also, if in the fridge, do you take it out of the cler plastic bag that you put it in at the grcoery store?

I dont think I am storing my stuff right. For example, I store potatoes at room temperature but then this weird stuff sprouts from the skins. I also store my garlic at room temperature just on the counter but it seems to go bad fast?

garlic - in a basket....seems to stay g00d for awhile, i think couple weeks at least, or a month??? cant remember

potatoes - have them in the dark under the kitchen sink, they last forever there

greens - counter for a day or 2 then in the fridge bottom shelf lasts a couple weeks i think

tomatoes - counter ..... place them almost everwhere, baskets, dishes holder, on towels, anywhere

kiwis - in a basket

bananas - i buy just enough to last a week only because they go ripe farely quickly

Oh, this should be interesting. I always learn how to do something better from one of thee threads. Thanks Compash!

1) your garlic -with other spices in a dark cubbard

2) potatoes -fridge, I tried dark and cool, but here on the Eastern Shore the humidity is very high year round and they wouldn't last 2 weeks before rott set in.

3) green leafies -crisper

4) tomatoes -I got this from a Raw Food Guru "Now everyone repeat after me, I will never, ever, ever, put a tomato in the refirgerator!" Apparently it alters them and also the taste. I defin notice a change in taste if the were in a fridge. So on the counter on top of the fruit bowl. They generally need to complete ripening anyway.

5) kiwis -fruit bowl on counter

6) mushrooms -fridge

7) avocados -fruit bowl on counter

mangoes -fruit bowl on counter

9) bananas -always have these in various stages. Fruit bowl on counter, but I have been meaning to get a banana "hook". If they over ripen they can be popped in the freezer skin and all. Slightly dethaw and put into a smoothy or any other recipe which requires bananas.

Needless to say I have a lot of fruit bowls (but not near as much as the raw foodies). Generally 3 large bowls which are filled on Tuesday which go down to only a few pieces left Monday eve.

I generally shop at the health food store so I load everything in a string bag and don't use the plastic bags. When I did I took off the plastic bag when I got home.

Here is some inspiration for you (not my kitchen I am afraid):

http://www.ringlet.org/photos/kitchen-and-storage/DCP03962.JPG

http://www.ringlet.org/photos/kitchen-and-storage/DCP04406.JPG

More:

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7393&page=1&pp=25&highlight=kitchens

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14638&highlight=kitchen

A young comedian once asked why we call that bottom drawer in your fridge a crisper. "Any time I put something in there it rots. They should call it a rotter."

1) your garlic - in a dark cupboard

2) potatoes - If I'm going to use them within a day or so I leave them out. Otherwise in the bottom drawer of the fridge.

3) green leafies - First I wash them, then spin them dry, then pat them dry & store in a plastic container in the fridge. I'm very particular about my greens!

4) tomatoes - on the counter unless they are getting soft - then the fridge. Generally I dice them when they are ripe & store the dice in the fridge.

5) kiwis - retch

6) mushrooms - I toss them onto a dry dish towel, wrap them up, put the towel in a plastic bag & put the bag in the fridge. Keep the plastic bag loosely open -- don't twist or tie it shut. They don't get slimy this way.

7) avocados -- on the counter to ripen. In the fridge once sliced.

mangoes - never had one - can you believe it?

9) bananas - on the counter unless they are getting too ripe, then in the fridge

I think you have to consider your local temperature & humidity when storing things in the open. I live in a semi-arrid area & only have to worry about things in the summer when it gets very hot.

BTW, you can scrub those spout things off your spuds. I think garlic likes to be in the dark. I've had yellow onions & garlic sprout. Plants are so cool.

Good thread!

Here is some inspiration for you (not my kitchen I am afraid):

What a cool idea of storing fruit... I will make something like that for myself.

If anyone knows how to make one of those things or knows where to buy one - please let me know !