Hindu Squats

In light of a lack of direction with wieght training, This weekend I started doing the combat conditioning training by Matt Furey. It's a bodyweight routine, so no weights. I did one set of 50 squats and my legs STILL hurt 24 hours later. It makes me realize how out of shape I am and how much I need flexibitlity.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler19.htm

I'm still trying to figure out how many times to do these a week and if/how I should combine other the exersizes.

God, these things kicked my ass.

Hindu squats are really great, I picked em up after readin that article too.

How did you know you were overtraining?

Because I stll hurt 4 days later. :-P Nowhere near as bad as the previous days, but enough to notice. I'm actually considering doing another set today, and seeing if I fare any better.

Wow!

I had the same experience.

did a set of 50 squats and still feeling it a bit after 2 days!

I think these 3 exercises could become a regular thing for me.

I really suck at the neck bridge though. My 8 year old daughter can do the advanced bridge (touching your nose to the floor) I'm lucky to get an arch in my back at all.

Have you done any more sets?

I did 25 of the squats 2 days ago and still feel it as well....never realized working out with my own bodyweight could be so challenging!

The hindu pushups are also interesting, they are very similar to a common yoga routine (downward dog, plank, upward dog combo)....

I did 25 of the squats 2 days ago and still feel it as well....never realized working out with my own bodyweight could be so challenging!

The hindu pushups are also interesting, they are very similar to a common yoga routine (downward dog, plank, upward dog combo)....

I found the same thing re: the hindu pushups.

I've been doing planks/upward dog for sometime now so I didn't find the pushups all that difficult. But the squats!!!!!!

did you try the back bridge? I found it quite humbling.

Hmmm...haven't wanted to do squats, but maybe I'll try these. I've seen them before...

So, Guys, do these make your thighs bigger or what? What is the result?

Thanks!

Hey Raven, Have you tried them yet?

I think I've noticed a bit of development in my quads but I don't think you'll end up with tree trunk legs doing these.

I'm definitely going to continue to do these!

let me know how it works out for you.

I can do the back bridge. Generally, unless it's my arms and shoulders, I'm quite flexible. I can't however remove my hands just yet and only use my head, my neck is not that strong yet. My problem with the tension exercises (the handstand and the bridge) is that I let go before I'm really ready, I know I can push myself more than I am.

I'm doing them regularly every other day (by Mike Mahler's recommendation) for about two weeks now. I'm not recording my results yet though. I know I'm at 15 Hindu Pushups and about 60 Hindu Squats. I would have done more today but I've been forgetting to stretch my calves so it's REALLY tight right now. I haven't seen (measured) results yet, but then, I just started.

I'm working on them in a particular order so one part of my body doesn't get worn out before it's needed elsewhere. I do them in this order:

Handstand Pushup

Back Bridge

Hindu Pushup

Hindu Squat

On occasion I try to walk in a back bridge (without touching my head to the ground) and get a couple of steps. Talk about difficult!