How can I improve the Main Site?

robert

Hello my vegan friends.........How can I improve the main site www.veganbodybuilding.com?

www.veganbodybuilding.com gets quite a few visits and has been around for 3 years now, but I'm looking for some input to make it better.

I'm spending a lot of time with Khan, my friend who runs the website and we should have quite a bit of time to update the site and make it better.

Obviously we have a specific nitche, Vegan Bodybuilding isn't exactly mainstream. Both are somewhat "extreme" to most people. Vegan on the far end of vegetarianism and Bodybuilding on the far end of fitness. So we're not going to be the most popular site in the world, but we want to cater well to our vegan bodybuilding & fitness fans.

We will be working on removing the old forum from the bottom of the front page of the site. We'll be featuring a lot more athletes and adding more nutrition and training information.

But what else would you like to see that you don't?

Any suggestions on improvements?

I take criticism well. Being a bodybuilder, I have to. Being a vegan for 10 years, I'm used to it.

So I won't be bothered by anything. I get e-mails from rednecks telling me how much they hate vegans, so nothing will bother me.

And I will also appreciate the feedback because YOU are the ones who come to the site for information, motivation, inspiration, to chat with others, to see images and read stories of successful vegan athletes, and I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks so much. And also THANK YOU for all the support over the past 3 years. The e-mails and comments and encouragement from you are the things that keep me going when I'm feeling down, so I appreciate your interest in Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness.

Robert

I realized last night that a lot of ppl read this site but dont post on the messageboard. they are looking for information that has already been written out for them.

how about a list of foods that are vegan? in categories of "protein", "carbs", "desserts", "beverages". things like that. I saw something on another website that listed a lot of common foods that could be find all over. what about if we had something like that here? people can check to see if something is vegan.

example: Thomas' Bagels

most ppl think they have eggs in the bagels. but they dont. theyre vegan. we could have a list of mainstream products like that.

also what about vegan foods for children?

vegan foods for pregnant woman? (I know pregnant woman need higher dosages of certrain nutrients)

a raw vegan bodybuilding diet plan? (I imagine its gotta be hard to bulk up and be raw)

Great idea hero.

Also, I would add that the charts contain the nurtitinal numbers of th foods as well, so say for 1/2 of green peas, how many grams of protein, carbs, fats, etc.

In terms of classification, if a food is primarly a fat source like peanuts (79% of calories from peanuts come from Fat, and only 16% from peanut) then it would be listed under the "fats" category.

Anyway, does that make sense or am I just rambling nonsense ?

Oh what the hell...

I get e-mails from rednecks telling me how much they hate vegans, so nothing will bother me.

Haha. Nice.

I think the main focus for the site should be sprucing up the design a bit. The home page is a little busy and could be much more streamlined. It also seems to be a little all over the place with color, and I think the resolution or width or whathaveyou is a little wide for some screens. The 'healthy food defines you' logo is positioned in a big blank space that could be better utilized, as well, and the site flag could be larger. I'm not sure if your Web guy does this, but you might want to test it across browsers (Explorer, Safari, Firefox), too, for any glitches.

And I would take the old forum down and maybe have a members feature where people could log their training and such, if it doesn't exist already.

I'll run it by my Web developer friend (also a vegan!) to see what he suggests. Above all else, don't forget that it's really informative and we love it.

People who hate vegans (Like the rednecks that are emailing you) hate vegans because they represent an uncomfortable and inconvenient choice: change your lifestyle, or your self-image.

vegans command the ultimate respect - they are the most altruistic, gentle lifestyled people on the face of the earth, living there lives in a manner that MINIMALLY impacts other beings and the planet. They are also great humaniatrians, because there lifestyle is most conducive to feeding starving world populations (meat eating directly contributes to world hunger). In short, there is nothing to hate about them and EVERYTHING to admire about them.

So next time anybody is confronted with a ignorrant, selfish, self-indulgent fool who says he "hates vegans" - tell him all of the above, which should shut him up!!!

Even when I was a meat eater, at least I was honest with myself. I always thought that vegans were people that everybody should aspire to be.

Edited by compassionategirl

Definitely test on different browsers. Firefox is the current browser of choice for many alternative types and your site gets all mangled on Firefox. The worst part is the scrolling java at the top, it shows up on every window I have open on my machine making it impossible to work and read the site at the same time.

Play some Lynard Skynard on the site Rob! Freebird brings a tear to everyone's eye, even the eyes of the most hateful rednecks. Anyone calling themselves a rebel and is still chowing down on burgers, steaks, poulty etc. should wake up and realize they are part of the dominant culture, they are drones.

• 1 month later...

Hi Robert,

I am missing a before-after space where people can place before-after pics. This motivates me always and keeps pushing me to reach my own goal. Maybe together with the nutrition and training program.

And that you have to register for the chatroom and also the forum is a little minus.

Norbert

Hey, thanks for writing.

You can post before and after photos anywhere you want on the forum, but I can try to create a section like that on the main site.

As for the chatroom and forum, you have to register. There is really no other way to do it. You have to have a login name so people can tell who you are. I think it only takes 1 minute to register and then you just login each time, or save it on auto-login so as soon as you go to the forum, you're already logged in.

Thanks for the ideas, I like the before and after suggestion. I have a few of those photos posted, but I agree, an entire section would be pretty cool to see.

Take care,

Robert

Hi Robert,

another thing. Maybe I am blind, but I cannot see if you can subscribe for a newsletter. Do you write one? I think it would be a good idea to send one once in a while to keep everyone informed about the latest things. For example I am interested in the vegan holiday and it would be a pitty if I mis it, because of not checking the forum daily.

Norbert

I've thought about a newsletter, I just didn't want to annoy people, because I know some people don't like to get them.

So I could create one, if people are interested????????

If so, I'd probably do it quarterly, every 3 months or something like that. I could a small one monthly. I'll wait for some feedback, so those interested, please let me know.

Also, let me know if you don't think a newsletter is a good idea.

Thanks!

-Robert

Yeah, that is what I should do. I don't know much about computers or websites (I get lots of help) so that is probably why I haven't done it so far.

But if people could choose individually, that would be best.

Thanks man, I'll look into it

-Robert