Strong or Ripped?

A general question that always comes up....simply.......

Would you rather be really stong (and maybe not quite a ripped) or be shredded and lean (but not quite as strong)?

Basically Bodybuilding or Powerlifting abilities?

Indeed, we can be both, many are both especially on the professional level, but IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE one or the other......that is what I'm interested in finding out what most people on here would rather be.

Mega Strong

or

Shredded Wheat

• 4 weeks later...

I know some are fortunate (or put in enough time in the gym '10 years or more') enough to have both and not have to choose.

I may have already mentioned it, but if I had to choose, I'd go with being really strong too. Probably because I've been "ripped" pretty much my whole bodybuilding life, and never been real strong. And lifting heavy weights is a pretty incredible feeling, I can only imagine what it would be like to be able to lift really really heavy weights!

• 2 weeks later...

i look at a lot of the guys who are benching over 300lbs at my gym and they look like dough boys. i don't really think that their health is any better from weight training, they are just stronger. but thats not going to do much good if they can't perform other activities. such as walking, haha.

i feel like i have the best of both worlds, i lift as much as some of the guys who weigh over 220 pounds, and i clock in at a mear 145!

Strong, most definitely.

I've never been ripped (lowest I've weighed in 2 decades is 192 lbs. and I still couldn't see more than an outline of my abs), but the way I see it, a nice looking physique is great but it won't help you move heavy furniture any better

Not to say that I would want to be big and strong but morbidly obese, but I'll take a little pudge in the gut to be able to squat a few hundred pounds more!

Ryan

For me its strenght, when all things consider I think strength is far more functional than been ripped. Having a ripped body serves more for the aestheric aspect of health, which is very important, you look good you feel good.

That being said, I would one day like to be all cut out because thats what the ladies like.

Being strong is more for yourself, been ripped is more for the oposite sex, I guess both are good because generaly you have to be in relatively good health to acheive ether but people always lean towards one or the other.

But thats just what I think.

That being said, I would one day like to be all cut out because thats what the ladies like.

Not necessarily! In my personal opinion, muscle means very little - veganism means most followed by a desire to be in good health. If it came down to the vanity of the situation, strong arms are nice because they make me feel secure...ripped muscles are nice if they give you confidence and meet your own asthetic needs but it's not what you need for the "ladies"

• 1 month later...

sorry, you're right, I didn't mean to generalize there. I didn't meant that all "ladies" liked the ripped abs, nor that muscles are the only things of importance. I know that in the hierarchy of qualities for any person, these come after intelligence and such, all I meant was that strength was more important for me and that ripped abs wouldn't really serve me in any other way than to please my lady visually, didn't mean all ladies, no ladies really get to see my abs that often, god knows I don't even like to take my shirt off in public (its a geek thing, don't ask). But since I wrote that, that particular lady is no longer with me because she thinks "I'm into really weird things", but thats another story. Anyway, you're right that was a silly thing to say, I just didn't want to disregard the other side of the posted question.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tyler,

You're here now If I recall correctly, I've seen you on VF.net. Welcome to our forum! We're not as large as that forum, but this forum is brand new and we have a totally awesome community over here. 3 year old site 6-month old improved forum

I go back and forth between ripped or strength, having both is fun, but I'm not nearly as strong as I could/should be.

I love that BULK look, so I'd agree with being HUGE and STRONG!

-Robert

Shredded like the freakin wheat all the way. I have been both shredded and strong. When I was just a vegetarian; I weighed in at 190lbs (BFP:10%) which is pretty heavy for being 5'9 and I could bench 290lbs for 12 reps easily. Yet I lacked fundamental flexibility, but my sprints were really fast. After becoming vegan I dropped down to about 180lbs(BFP:8%) yet maintained my strength and stamina, still didn't have the flexibility I wanted though. Now as a Raw-Vegan I weigh about 155(BFP:6%) can bench 225lbs 12-15 reps easily, my sprints are a bit slower, while my endurance is through the roof. I am more flexible now than ever in my life. I'm actually able to do the splits. So, I suppose I have never been really super strong but I feel like you have to sacrifice flexibility in order to reach mega strength. Plus shredded looks and feels cleaner & healthier.

I'd rather be strong. I like to be able to pick stuff up easily and carry it around. Being ripped doesn't help you do anything except look in the mirror.

"I feel like you have to sacrifice flexibility in order to reach mega strength"

I don't think that is true at all. I guess it just depends on how you train.

Regards,

Sensless

"I feel like you have to sacrifice flexibility in order to reach mega strength"

I don't think that is true at all. I guess it just depends on how you train.

Quite true. I've seen pics of Ronnie Coleman doing a splits and also stretching one leg up over head height and that man has more muscle packed on him than any being alive.

If you train to be flexible, you can have it regardless of your musculature. If you don't train for it, you can be inflexible even if you're skinny. It definitely goes both ways. When I stretch during squats, I can place almost my entire hand down underneath my shoe while I see others much smaller than myself struggling to touch their toes. It all depends on whether you work for flexibility or not!

Ryan

• 7 months later...