what a f*ckin ?

endcruelty

this was back in '03 but still none the less.......shes still a dyke through my eyes now

Conan O'Brien: Now I understand you used to be a...a vegetarian?

Julia Stiles: Yeah...I was a vegetarian for *scratches head* a couple years and then I became a vegan which was a big mistake. *kind of rolls eyes* (some people in the audience laugh)

Conan O'Brien: Can you explain the difference...I don't really know what a vegan means...do vegans...can they eat ANYthing, are they just eating packing peanuts, what are they eating?

Julia Stiles: Umm...yeah, no, vegans don't really eat anything. It's like, hay, and straw...

Conan O'Brien: So, they're like horses basically...they pull milk carts, they live on farms primarily

Julia Stiles: Yeah. No I still have friends who are vegans and they just basically don't eat any animal products but that eliminates a lot of things. Like I could eat this table...

Conan O'Brien: Not really, there's some animal in here. *points to desk* This was a horse not too long ago, don't ask me what happened. Umm, so literally you can't...I know because someone the other day gave me a...they were like "here, try this VEGAN oat cookie" and I ate it and it was oka--

Julia Stiles: Not cow...

Conan O'Brien: No, but it kinda tasted like a...you know it was like (sarcastically) "mmm, good vegan oat cookie"...that's all I could think to say

Julia Stiles: Yeah. But I gave that up, I gave that up *waves hand*

Conan O'Brien: You gave that up. Why did you give that up?

Julia Stiles: Because I became really badly anemic. I was really just drawn and, you know. It's not healthy if you can't do it right. So I stopped it

Conan O'Brien: And did you like, when you took that first bite into like a hamburger or steak afterwards, were you happy, or did it take getting used to?

Julia Stiles: Oh God, the word orgasm comes to mind, it's like *laughs*

Conan O'Brien: Yes!

Julia Stiles: Now I know why people... I mean, "aw, the poor little cows" whatever *rolls eyes* they taste really good there *laughs*

Conan O'Brien: We're going to get a lot of mail, but...no, but I agree with you 100%, "yeah, sorry cow, boo-hoo" but anyway it TASTES...SO GOOD,

Julia Stiles: It tastes REAL GOOD, really good.

Conan O'Brien: And anyone that comes to me and says bacon doesn't taste good, I would walk over glass to get a piece of bacon, I LOVE BACON, you know what I mean?

Julia Stiles: Yeah, yeah.

Conan O'Brien: I would eat a vegan oat cookie if you wrapped it in bacon. Then I'd be like, "hey, good vegan oat cookie!" *thumbs up*

Julia Stiles: I think you should market that actually.

Conan O'Brien: I'm gonna do that, it's gonna be "VEGAN OAT COOKIE -wrapped in bacon-"

Julia Stiles: *laughs*

Conan O'Brien: "-not recommended for vegans-" They'll be like, "I don't understand, what's the point?"

-----

this was in a different interview

Qu. Why did you decide to stop being a vegan?

Julia Stiles: I stopped being a vegan and then became a vegetarian. But

the first meat I ate was not a hamburger - that was just a joke I made on a TV chat show. I changed diet because it really wasn't healthy. Being vegan is a hard thing to do and I became really badly anaemic. When you are travelling there is no way you can get proper nutrition. So now I do eat some red meat but not all the time.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps proper vegan nutrition can be tough for actresses filming in remote locations and all that. She was (unsuccessfully) trying to be funny.

Pretty sure "dyke" is just a negative word for lesbian? I assume to endcruelty it means something else.

Still, yes, that Conan thing is pretty annoying.

I love Julia Stiles, I think she's just gorgeous, and she's well educated.

And one of the absolute coolest women I know is a blatant, self-proclaiming dyke. It's really not a fitting descriptor. Instead of attacking her sexuality, it'd really make a lot more sense to criticize her line of thought....which I agree, is unfortunate.

I caught the reading the mail section of some show on NPR and people were writing in about this fellow by the name of Bordain (my spelling could be incorrect) he is apparently anti vegan. I'm going to look into this further, but its an interesting conincidence. 2 anti vegan media presentations in one week!

I caught the reading the mail section of some show on NPR and people were writing in about this fellow by the name of Bordain (my spelling could be incorrect) he is apparently anti vegan. I'm going to look into this further, but its an interesting conincidence. 2 anti vegan media presentations in one week!

I just don't understand how anyone could be "anti-vegan," unless they have some kind of vested interest in people continuing to eat animal products.

Wow, that interview is retarded, I'd like to DDT her stupid head onto a burning see-saw, then we'll see who's not gay.

As for calling her a dyke, I think that's cool, it's just another insult to use, I don't think it suggests homophobia. Just like if you say something is retarded or if someone is a retard, it doesn't mean you hate actual retards, it's just a slang use of the word. I may have to make a lot of you relax a little when I get back from my vacation by DDTing all of you collectively. I look forward to it!

I just don't understand how anyone could be "anti-vegan," unless they have some kind of vested interest in people continuing to eat animal products.

totally agree.

People are effed up!

I'd like to DDT her stupid head onto a burning see-saw, then we'll see who's not gay.

... by DDTing all of you collectively. I look forward to it!

Ya as for this woman, I have always found her very unattractive )her and Kirstin Dunst both - however you spell her name), and now I think they are even uglier than I thought they were before. Ugly insides always somehow show on your outside in my opinion, and anybody that mocks and ridicules tortured animals and those that try to do right by them is to be perfectly clear ****UGLY ON THE INSIDE***.

Poor girl -- ugly on both the inside and outside. Oh well, maybe her money and fame will be enough to comfort her (which wouldnt surprise me considering how shallow her character obviously is).

As for calling her a dyke, I think that's cool, it's just another insult to use, I don't think it suggests homophobia. Just like if you say something is retarded or if someone is a retard, it doesn't mean you hate actual retards, it's just a slang use of the word.

No, it doesn't mean that you hate retards, but it does mean that retarded is seen as a bad thing to be. It wouldn't be an insult if it didn't carry the implication that retarded is suboptimal.

"Gay" and "fag" are commonly used as insults, as in "that's so gay!" or "you're such a fag!" No, it doesn't mean that the person saying it really thinks that there's actually any homosexuality involved. But again, these would not be insults if "gay" and "fag" were not seen as bad things to be. If they were seen as good things to be, then those phrases would be compliments, not insults.

So the reason that people are bothered by the use of such words as insults is because their use in that way relies on the retarded=bad, gay=bad association.

I think we all know what the OP meant by "dyke". He didn't mean that he thinks she's a lesbian. At least I don't think he did. So think of all the various other words he could have used and ask yourself how "dyke" came to be a synonym for them. Their literal meanings are completely unrelated.

I mean, just pick some other category of person and imagine that being used as an insult. Like "that's so jewish!" instead of "that's so gay!" or "julia styles is such a stupid black person" instead of "js is such a stupid dyke". Is it problematic?

As for calling her a dyke, I think that's cool, it's just another insult to use, I don't think it suggests homophobia. Just like if you say something is retarded or if someone is a retard, it doesn't mean you hate actual retards, it's just a slang use of the word.

No, it doesn't mean that you hate retards, but it does mean that retarded is seen as a bad thing to be. It wouldn't be an insult if it didn't carry the implication that retarded is suboptimal.

"Gay" and "fag" are commonly used as insults, as in "that's so gay!" or "you're such a fag!" No, it doesn't mean that the person saying it really thinks that there's actually any homosexuality involved. But again, these would not be insults if "gay" and "fag" were not seen as bad things to be. If they were seen as good things to be, then those phrases would be compliments, not insults.

So the reason that people are bothered by the use of such words as insults is because their use in that way relies on the retarded=bad, gay=bad association.

I think we all know what the OP meant by "dyke". He didn't mean that he thinks she's a lesbian. At least I don't think he did. So think of all the various other words he could have used and ask yourself how "dyke" came to be a synonym for them. Their literal meanings are completely unrelated.

I mean, just pick some other category of person and imagine that being used as an insult. Like "that's so jewish!" instead of "that's so gay!" or "julia styles is such a stupid black person" instead of "js is such a stupid dyke". Is it problematic?

It isn't problematic to me so long as the person saying it, is saying it as a joke, and doesn't actually have irrational hatred towards gay people / retarded people / jewish people / black people etc.

It isn't problematic to me so long as the person saying it, is saying it as a joke, and doesn't actually have irrational hatred towards gay people / retarded people / jewish people / black people etc.

You don't think it's a problem for people to see being gay/ retarded/ jewish/ black /etc. as bad? Or do you disagree with my assertion that if being called X is an insult, then it must be accepted by people using that insult that being X is bad?

Edited by FormicaLinoleum

I hear jokes made the at the expense of stupid white men all the time. And I I'm a white man, and the jokes don't bother me. I think some of them are pretty funny actually. I think a lot of people just enjoy being offended by everything

I think that in most cases it's somewhere in between. I think few people would say such things "as a joke"--I think in most cases they truly mean it as an insult. That indicates that they think that think that being gay/retarded/jewish/black is bad. But they most likely aren't at the level of having irrational hatred. So do you think it's a problem for people to think that being gay/ black/ jewish/ etc. is a bad thing if they don't have irrational hatred for those groups of people?

I think that is bad yeah. I don't think you're right that use of language and insults is necessarily connected in any way to what a person thinks about the origins of the insult that they're using. I can call someone gay or a fag and not mean any disrespect to gay people. I call my gay friends fags, and they call me a fag too. It is just... not serious at all, and it is really just a mimicking of playground insults or of morons who would really do have a problem with gay/black/jewish people. To me, it's so outrageous to be sexist/racist etc that it can be made into a joke and just said and accepted as an obvious joke / lack of seriousness / lack of hostility / whatever. What I say as a joke is generally the exact opposite of how I feel in fact, that's how irony works.

You don't think it's a problem for people to see being gay/ retarded/ jewish/ black /etc. as bad? Or do you disagree with my assertion that if being called X is an insult, then it must be accepted by people using that insult that being X is bad?

If I say something is gay, and mean that it is bad, that doesn't mean that I think gay people are bad. I think it is a problem for people to think being gay / retarded / black / jewish is bad.