Driving too fast is expensive...

veggymeggy

So just thought I'd share...got a ticket for going 102 in a 55 last night. That's going to cost me $1,105.00 and possibly a suspended license. But hey, I passed the 4 field sobriety tests that were administered by 2 different officers....and Officer M. took pity on my and dropped the reckless driving charge, which would have kicked the ticket into the multiple thousands....And definitely glad I wasn't arrested! I thought they had to at that speed!

Anyways...I can't even explain how much I love driving the mini (Mini Cooper S, that's the super charged one ) I wasn't even stressing it at 102, in fact I don't think I'd even shifted into 6th gear yet. Glad I didn't speed up anymore!

And safety sidenote...this was at 1am on a straight stretch of back roads highway, with no other traffic in sight....(that might be why he dropped the reckless actually)

MORAL OF THE STORY: Speeding is FUN but EXPENSIVE.

Edited by veggymeggy

Ouch.

They may send part of the ticket back to you.

They did that with my last one. Although I was only at 74 in a 55. I think I was actually around 78 but he knocked it down to save me money, or charges.

Mini is yours or your boys?

Oh and SEE you should've come dancing last night.

Not that I ended up going, I was too tired after dodgeball.

I know! Dancing wouldn't have gotten me in trouble!

The mini belongs to the boy, but I claim partial custody He was thoroughly intoxicated, which is why I was driving.

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to pay it! I can't afford to send it in all at once so I'll be showing up in the N. Marion Justice Court, whoohoo.

VM,

a. I'd be real thoughtful about what you say on a public forum like this - it's been known to end up in court records, etc.

b. Driving is already risky business to begin with, going that fast makes it way more likely that you'll kill someone if you wreck.

c. Speeding isnt so expensive - it's getting busted that will cost ya!

I double checked the law...over 100mph is a mandatory 30-90 day suspension of my license. Whoops.

...and up until now, I had a perfect record, no tickets or accidents!

You're right...it's definitely the getting caught that's expensive. Eh, won't lie. I can be kind of an idiot sometimes!

I'm not sure what a fine for 102 mph would be in Montana.

If you get pulled over for going in the mid 80s is $20

I should have been in Montana! I think it's South Dakota that doesn't even fine for speeding...no fair

I should probalby reiterate that I KNOW there's really no excuse for going that fast...it's not safe. Fortunately we were mostly just endangering ourselves since it was so deserted, but we'd have died if I lost control for any reason!

I should have been in Montana! I think it's South Dakota that doesn't even fine for speeding...no fair

South Dakota does have fines, they are more strict than Montana

Several years ago, Montana didn't have a posted speed limit.

The law was to drive "safe and prudent"

As long as you kept it under 85 you were fine.

Too many people thought safe and prudent meant as fast as you want.

It took one knucklehead to fight a ticket, he was going well over 100.

So now we have a posted speed limit of 75 on the interstate highways.

They still leave you alone until 80-85 mph

Sorry to be critical but you should not drive so fast. It is very dangerous for many reasons. Also, animals could have ran in front of you and if you approached anyone, that driver probably would not see you coming.

If you want to drive for fun, look into autocrosses. Mini-Coopers would be very fun for autocrossing. There are probably SCCA, BMW or Porsche clubs in your area that sponsor events (non-members are welcome.) For high speed driving, if there is a race track near you, it probably has high speed driving classes. Auto Insurance should cover your car for it, as it is considered education – call you insurance company first to ask, if you are interested. Classes are generally $175 to $200 for a weekend. That will probably entail 6 hours of track driving.

If you get involved in any of those events, you will have lots of fun and also you will quickly realize how little skill most American drivers have – it is sobering.

Wow, that is fast- I think driving above 55 also burns a lot more gas per mile driven, which could probably add up to thousands of dollars over a year or more-

Driving is fun, but I prefer living in a city where I don't need a car-

Joel

Wow. I hadn't heard. I was gone all weekend and I'm just catching up with forum topics now.

Sorry to hear that. I drove to Portland and back and there were tons of police everywhere. A guy behind me guy pulled over for speeding which made me a bit nervous, so I drove even slower.

I'm always trying to be extra careful these days because I'm driving so much, although I kept getting lost and turned around in North Portland at davidtarrfoster's soccer games this weekend.

This is tough to read, as a friend of my friends was recently killed by a drunk driver who was speeding at night. Benefits have been going on for a while now to raise money for his wife and their son as he didn't have any life insurance. Your "fun" could have really hurt someone, human or animal.

This is tough to read, as a friend of my friends was recently killed by a drunk driver who was speeding at night. Benefits have been going on for a while now to raise money for his wife and their son as he didn't have any life insurance. Your "fun" could have really hurt someone, human or animal.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I know a handful of people who've been killed in similar situations.

(I was sober.)

Your "fun" could have really hurt someone, human or animal.

I agree. As well as burning up a lot of gas.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for someone who gets a ticket for speeding, and in fact I wish more people would!

If you want to drive that fast, visit Germany and go on the Autobahn, where there is no speed limit.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for someone who gets a ticket for speeding, and in fact I wish more people would!

Even at high speeds the mini gets incredible gas mileage. It's a MINI, not a dodge viper or something. 30+mpg, not 8.

I deserved a speeding ticket...but I think most occasions in which people are ticketed are unwarranted. Our 'tolerances' are very low...I know someone who got a ticket for going 3mph over the limit. That's bullshit. And Oregon still has the 55mph limit, I think we're one of the only states that does.

I think you saved animals by being on the road for a shorter amount of time thereby lessening the likelihood that you'd be on the road when they wanted to cross. You were actually saving animals. And people probably too

<3

I love it that 30mpg is considered good!

The little diesel cars we have here average 65-70mpg.

On a different note, the autobahn is cool - when I was about 14 my uncle drove me in his volvo at just a little under 150mph

Jonathan

Oh man, what I wouldn't give to have a car that got gas mileage like that. I drive a '94 Jetta, and freeway I get about 30mpg, which is pretty good considering the car is 12 years old now. The mini gets at least that good for city driving. It's going to be at least a couple more years before I can afford a new car, but when I can, I'm getting the most gas efficient one on the market no matter how ugly it is!!!

Even at high speeds the mini gets incredible gas mileage. It's a MINI, not a dodge viper or something. 30+mpg, not 8.

I deserved a speeding ticket...but I think most occasions in which people are ticketed are unwarranted.

the mini's mileage may not decrease that much when driving faster than 55, but most cars do...

Fuel Consumption at Higher Speeds

While it may seem intuitive that driving at higher speeds consumes more fuel, exact data on just how much a difference that makes model-by-model isn’t readily available. The editors at the German weekly Auto Bild recently changed that, however, publishing (12 May 2006) a head-to-head comparison of the fuel consumption of 16 different models of cars under higher speed driving conditions.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/05/fuel_consumptio.html

http://bioage.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/autobild1.png

I love it that 30mpg is considered good!

The little diesel cars we have here average 65-70mpg.

On a different note, the autobahn is cool - when I was about 14 my uncle drove me in his volvo at just a little under 150mph

Jonathan

i think 30mpg is horrendous. i cycle almost everywhere cause i hate gasoline fueled cars. i share my gf's car, and i only use it to drive to work, cause work is a few minutes away up a 12,000 ft mountain that i would never survive on a bicycle. but everywhere else i cycle a good 10-20 miles a day. and we never use her car unless we utterly have to.

i hate cars and the dependence americans place upon them.

eventually we'd like to have a solar powered home and have an electric car than we can plug into the house and charge up at night while we sleep....so that way its using renewable energy: the sun.

My rollerblades get excellent mileage, and nearly zero emissions-

JB

Unless, perhaps, you've been eating beans?

Nah, my body has gotten pretty used to what I eat, for the most part Which is probably important for people considering vegetarianism or veganism to know, that "emissions" don't tend to be a problem after the first couple weeks-

JB