Vegans in the Shooting sports

All,

I am curious about how many vegans are involved in the shooting sports, either professionally/competitively, recreationally and/or as practice for shootings defensive applications.

As many of you probably know, shooting for recreation and competition is done in most if not all countries, and is included in the Olympics. And of course, I do not consider hunting as a sport. Hopefully there are not very many vegan hunters!

Personally, I am into firearms and shooting primarily for defensive applications. However, I am also interested in getting into recreational and competitive shooting, esp. IDPA and similar practical/tactical styles.

So who else here shoots? Do you know of any vegan professional shooters? What style/s of shooting do you or they do?

I used to shoot riffles but have been interested in handguns as of late. I have always been a dead on shot, but it's been sometime and I wonder if I am as good with a handgun. We have a shooting range as well as a tactical range locally. I have been watching some of the competitions on television and am amazed by the precision and "on your feet" thinking these involve. Very cool.

As much as I could never shoot a wild animal, I love shooting simulations, and firing real guns, as disturbing as that sounds. Although it has nothing much to do with shooting, reading about this makes me want to hook up my old Nintendo and play some Duck Hunt.

I was raised with guns in our household (my mom didn't approve, but my dad has always been a "gun guy")...anyway so he taught me basic gun safety from a very young age, how to load and unload a gun, and how to shoot...I've always enjoyed shooting handguns. I like to go to the range and shoot paper targets, just in appreciation for the skill. And, it is for some reason, just FUN to shoot off a gun. I've NEVER shot at a live target, and never would, but I've shot the hell out of some paper! A .45 is my favorite...

Thanks for the replies! It's great to see that there are other vegan shooters here - even cooler that some of you are women!

Seasiren,

I've mostly shot pistols, also a bit of rifles and once with a shotgun. Handguns can be both easier and more challenging, it really just depends on what kind of guns you use and for what application. Give it a go and let us know how you like it!

I've watched some competitions on television too and also seen some really awesome shooters during training classes. It really seems to come down to learning what works and then practicing.

Odidnetne,

That doesn't sound disturbing to me. I enjoy shooting real guns and while I have no experience with simulations, it sounds like a lot of fun. There are

also a lot of shooters who use simulations of various types to improve their skills.

MontanaVegan,

What do you mean by "First Person Shooting games"?

Veggymeggy,

That's awesome that your dad got you into shooting and taught you gun safety. I wish I'd had that but my parents were hippy-types and while not really "anti-gun", they never had any around so I didn't get into shooting until I was in my late teens. My kids have learned basic safety but so far I haven't been able to interest them in actually shooting...

It'd be cool to get some folks together from here and go to the range someday. Shooting is a lot of fun and even more so when you have some cool folks to shoot with. My wife would be a lot more into going out if she knew she wouldn't be the only woman there!

Which range/s do you use? We have several options here in the Portland area but I generally prefer just to go out to the national forest.

I've shot with a couple of different .45s but a Glock 19 9mm is my everyday pistol. Which .45 do you use or prefer?

The only live target I'd shoot is one that was attacking me or my loved ones. Hopefully that will never happen but you never know...

CollegeB,

Dang redneck Texan gunnuts... Just kidding! Shooting can be pricey, esp. shooting a .45, but you can also get some serious discounts buying ammunition in bulk and/or getting in some of your range time using less expensive ammo - particularly .22's.

The only place I've been shooting is A Place to Shoot in Delta Park. The Sig .45 is my favorite, my boy also has a Dan Wesson .45... that's fun too. Aside from that, the CZ 9mm is the most accurate gun I've ever fired, and I've shot .22 handguns also. The only rifle I've ever shot was a .17...I really don't know anything about rifles.

The only place I've been shooting is A Place to Shoot in Delta Park. The Sig .45 is my favorite, my boy also has a Dan Wesson .45... that's fun too. Aside from that, the CZ 9mm is the most accurate gun I've ever fired, and I've shot .22 handguns also. The only rifle I've ever shot was a .17...I really don't know anything about rifles.

I haven't shot there but have heard good things about TPTS. They do a lot of training classes there. Sig makes some very nice stuff - I'd probably get a Sig if Glocks weren't available. If you want to try rifle shooting, I have a couple that I could let you use sometime. Also, there is a place called the Public Safety Training Center in Clackamas. It's run by the Sheriff's Department and they have a great & inexpensive rental selection: pistols, revolvers, a few rifles, at least one shotgun and they even have a full-auto M4 available!

I'm a total gun nut!

It all started 9 years ago when 2 car loads of scumbag sureno gang members chased after my cousins car with him and I and 2 of our friends in it for no reason whatsoever. They chased us for about 2 miles until they started shooting at us. They fired 3 shots. 2 hit the metal frame around the hatchback glass and the other bullet came through the window hitting my friend in the arm. The bullet kept traveling through my friends arm and went through the headrest of my cousins seat and hit him in the neck. The bullet slowed down enough by the time it hit my cousin that it didn't penetrate. He said it just felt like someone punched him in the back of the neck. When the bullet hit the glass it was like shrapnel and everyone (except me ) was bleeding from the glass. One of my friends in the back seat had glass embedded in his arm pretty bad. The scumbags were never caught but that would be the last time for a while that I didn't carry daily.

Immediately after the incident I bought my first gun, a Colt Mustang 380. Next was a 12 gauge Mossberg for home protection. From there I bought my HK USP compact .45. Then a friend sold all his guns to me in a package deal. From him I bought a Sig p239 9mm, Taurus Millennium Pro 9mm, Beretta 96 .40cal, Winchester 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge and another 12 gauge Mossberg. I haven't bought any guns for a while now. I think I have enough for now.

Here are some pics of me shooting 2 dead laptops, 32 inch TV, DSL router and a pager. I have video as well if anyone wants to see it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/RIPMacDre/gunsresize.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/RIPMacDre/Shooting016_.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/RIPMacDre/Shooting006_.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/RIPMacDre/Shooting018_.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/RIPMacDre/Shooting022_.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/RIPMacDre/Shooting030_.jpg

Here are some pics of me shooting 2 dead laptops, 32 inch TV, DSL router and a pager. I have video as well if anyone wants to see it.

Do you want my printers?

Pic #2, why are you that close?

I no longer live in Arizona and I can't think of any place to shoot your printer in California or I would take it off your hands.

With a 18 inch barrel on a shotgun the pellets like to spread very quickly. I wanted big holes so I stayed close. Don't worry, I had my ear protection on and all the rounds fired went right through the targets, like the pics show below.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/RIPMacDre/Shooting012_.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/RIPMacDre/Shooting013_.jpg

Hey jjaj2022,

Thanks for sharing all the photos! I'm sorry to hear that you had that experience and glad that you not only came out ok but also motivated to protect yourself if attacked again.

I've been beaten, stabbed & shot at before - all without me having done anything against my attackers... I plan to give anyone who attacks me in the future the best fight that I can. Hopefully I wont have to and I work hard to avoid any possible conflicts - but ya never know!

Nice guns you have - why no rifle/s?

Hey jjaj2022,

Thanks for sharing all the photos! I'm sorry to hear that you had that experience and glad that you not only came out ok but also motivated to protect yourself if attacked again.

I've been beaten, stabbed & shot at before - all without me having done anything against my attackers... I plan to give anyone who attacks me in the future the best fight that I can. Hopefully I wont have to and I work hard to avoid any possible conflicts - but ya never know!

Nice guns you have - why no rifle/s?

Sweet picture! What other guns do you have? I think Oregon is an open carry state, right? Do you have your CCW permit? It's near impossible to get one here in Cali. I have an Arizona CCW permit but California doesn't honor any out of state permits. What a surprise huh? I'd much rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6, so I do what I have to do.

I have a friend who is working on getting an AK for me. I really never got into rifles because I was primarily interested in guns for self protection but now I kinda want a rifle just because.

I've owned a few guns over the years and shot more than a couple of others. Besides the AR above, my main gun now is a Glock 19. I do have my CCW (CHL here in Oregon). Oregon is open carry but at least 2 cities here - Portland & Beaverton are not.

Are you familair with Packing.org? They have tons of info on CCW & gun laws in general, plus forums, links to defensive trainers & a lot more. Interestingly, some California counties are essentially shall issue for CCW - check out Packing for more info.

I dont know how familar you are with California's maze of firearms laws but one thing to be aware of is that most AK variants are banned there so if you want to get one you'll either have to get a version that is Cali. legal or keep it outside of the state.

Personally, I prefer a rifle to a shotgun (or a handgun for that matter) for protection/defense.

Do you want my printers?

Pic #2, why are you that close?

I no longer live in Arizona and I can't think of any place to shoot your printer in California or I would take it off your hands.

With a 18 inch barrel on a shotgun the pellets like to spread very quickly. I wanted big holes so I stayed close. Don't worry, I had my ear protection on and all the rounds fired went right through the targets, like the pics show below.

Not to mention that it must be pretty hard to hit accurately out very far with a pistol-grip only 12 guage...

I'm thinking about getting a .45 pistol sometime soon to use on a shooting range not too far from here, but my father has several rifles in the house.

Cool! What brands & models are you considering?

I don't know, I have to look more into it.

I've owned a few guns over the years and shot more than a couple of others. Besides the AR above, my main gun now is a Glock 19. I do have my CCW (CHL here in Oregon). Oregon is open carry but at least 2 cities here - Portland & Beaverton are not.

Are you familair with Packing.org? They have tons of info on CCW & gun laws in general, plus forums, links to defensive trainers & a lot more. Interestingly, some California counties are essentially shall issue for CCW - check out Packing for more info.

I dont know how familar you are with California's maze of firearms laws but one thing to be aware of is that most AK variants are banned there so if you want to get one you'll either have to get a version that is Cali. legal or keep it outside of the state.

Personally, I prefer a rifle to a shotgun (or a handgun for that matter) for protection/defense.

Packing.org is a great site. There are some county's that will issue permits but it's not as easy as it sounds. You have to establish residency and if you don't know someone, that can be hard. My gun grabbing grandparents have a home in Mendocino county and according to Packing.org, the Mendocino county sheriff hands them out like candy. The problem I have is my grandparents won't go for that. I'll have to wait until they leave their beach house to the family and then I'll apply.

About the AK that I might get, I doubt it will be legal and I doubt it will be kept out of state. I pretty much don't give a shit about gun laws.

The only problem I have with rifles being used for self defence is the fact that after they hit the bad guy they can continue to travel through walls. So, if you have neighbors or other people in the home, you run the risk of killing someone else besides the bad guy.

I'm thinking about getting a .45 pistol sometime soon to use on a shooting range not too far from here, but my father has several rifles in the house.

Cool! What brands & models are you considering?

I don't know, I have to look more into it.

Here's a great place to just look around and get an idea of prices:

http://www.gunsamerica.com - If you get the chance, try shooting as many possibilities as you can before you buy.