Chris' Training Stuff

Don't worry if I was faced with Vegan soft serve and vegan donuts, I couldn't resist either... Thankfully for my waist line, such vegan treats don't exist in Sydney...

Vegan muffins, Tofu cheesecake and organic vegan chocolate cake do, but I am blocking them from my mind and concentrating on the winter citrus fruits that are tasting so good over here at the moment.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest problem is when my mom visits me...I tell her not to cook anything for me but the crazy woman never listens...I normally get about a dozen muffins and I tell myself 1 before every ride...well that turning into two with a glob of peanut butter on it...then I get back and eat 3 or 4 more...that woman wants me big again...then I finish the 2 pounds of hummus she made me...after that I wash it down the grapefruit(the only thing I probably should have ate to begin with)...as for vegan cheesecake...I'm lucky because there's nowhere to get good vegan cheesecake here other than when I make it and my crust is a chore so I haven't bothered for a long time(I may make the best pie crust in the history of vegandom)

I guess as long as you are still riding it isn't too bad... My mom does the same thing to me... I try and tell her that there is no vegan chocolate, biscuits and cake in my house for a reason...

Wow that is quite a claim regarding your cheesecake

I think that if it isn't a closely guarded secret, you should post the recipe

I didn't train today, my back is still a little stiff...

I did a warm up and then a lot of stretching instead, followed by a nice cool down... I will rest up and stretch a little more in the next few days, so that I can get back to lifting properly next week...

Chest and back workout today

Did some really good sets on Dumbbell bench press and inclined bench press...

Dumbbell bench was with 100 pound dumbells

1 x 8 , 1 x 10, 1 x 12

Incline Dumbbell was with 80 pound dumbbells

1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1x 10

I would increase the weight on the Dumbbell bench press except my gym doesn't have dumbbells any heavier...

I think I will try the incline first next week to work the chest a little first...

I also did flys today, good sets but nothing that exciting.

My back seemed to fatigue pretty quickly, but I was still able to get a good workout through lat pull downs, bench over rows and seated rows...

My back is almost back to normal, so I will continue stretching and some light lower back exercises this week, until I can start some back strengthening work next week...

I'm just glad that I am back training properly again

Ah, good, glad you're on your way back to full strength!

-- I was a major coffee drinker at one time. I was up to a few pots a day But I discovered it was actually the sugar I was addicted; and not caffeine! Once I went to black, I could take it or leave it; sugar is E-V-I-L!

Do you like tea? Have you tried Yerba Mate? It's caffeinated, but less. It's a tea, but there is something about its composition that makes the effects SO much different from coffee caffeine...It's a more steady energy boost that goes on longer, and you don't crash! Never jittery-type of energy. It is an acquired taste, though! I think you either hate it or love it; but it seems one can learn to like it too

Thanks Raven, I'm just glad it wasn't a bad back strain... Lucky I was wearing a belt I think...

I totally agree about sugar, I think it is diabolical... I have read that refined sugar is actually more addictive than nicotine

I drink my coffee strong and black with no sugar, I just love the taste, mmmm bitter and good, mmmmmm....

Thanks for the info on the tea, I think I might give that a try... I have been drinking a lot of peppermint and green tea lately and it seems to be helping when I need something hot to warm me up....

If you can afford it just steep your tea in Agave Nectar instead of water...that way you get the sweetness and better energy than sugar would give you

Leg work out today...

I was a little scared at injurying my back again, so I went light and increased the number of reps...

Squats 4 x 20 at 350

Leg press 4 x 20 at 300

Hamstring curls 3 x 12 at 120

Leg extensions 4 x 12 at 440

I started and finished with some back stretches and strengthening exercises... The last thing I want to do is re-injury my back, so I will be careful not to try and go to heavy again until I am sure that it is stronger than it was.

steeping it in agave was kinda a joke(although it would probably be really yummy)...its kinda like thin honey and its actually sweeter than honey so it makes a great substitute...much better energy source plus its always raw...you could order it online...it pricey and even moreso with shipping but you need very little of it so a bottle would last a while(I'd still recommend buying alot though if your forced to ship it from outside your country)...as for tea I like to add cardamom and nutmeg along with cinnamon sometimes...those are all spices added to mostly all chai tea anyway and its great with almost every tea I've ever had(earl grey being the exception)

Thanks to VP I went searching for agave nectar after work yesterday. Much to my surprise I found it at my local health food shop, It wasn't that expensive, which surprised me, considering it was imported...I had some in my tea this morning, I think I might be hooked....

Yeah I might try adding extra spices to my tea, I like chai a lot, so there is no reason why I can't create a mix of my own.

No problem...agave is weird...I've seen it cheap when I'm broke and I've seen it double the price of organic honey in some places...I guess it just depends on how much the store buys...I love the stuff(wish I had some now)

Shoulders and traps today...

Military Press

1 x 4 with 77 pound dumbbells

1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8 with 66 pound dumbbells

Lateral raises

1 x 10, 1 x 10, 1 x 12 with 33 pound dumbbells

Front raises

1 x 12 at 28

1 x 10 at 33

1 x 8 at 39

Cable lateral raises

1 x 12 at 28

1 x 10 at 28

1 x 8 at 33

Arnie Press

1 x 12 at 33

1 x 10 at 33

1 x 8 at 33

Shrugs

2 x 20 at 50

I totally agree about sugar, I think it is diabolical... I have read that refined sugar is actually more addictive than nicotine

I wouldn't doubt! I also believe people don't realize that processed and simple carbs are just as bad as sugar in the system. Bad for teeth too

I drink my coffee strong and black with no sugar, I just love the taste, mmmm bitter and good, mmmmmm....

Haha! Yes, I remember coffee worship quite well

Thanks for the info on the tea, I think I might give that a try... I have been drinking a lot of peppermint and green tea lately and it seems to be helping when I need something hot to warm me up....

Ah, well, green tea is a good choice. It took me a while to like it; but mostly because it's an art to get it right -- right temp, right type, steeping time...one needs a degree in green tea to get it right

Question about your routine: What is the purpose of going down in reps like you do? I'm wondering if I should do this...

What's the result? Size? Cuts?

Thanks!

I really must try and beat the coffee thing... Everytime I smell fresh coffee it just sucks me back in...

I agree with the idea of needing a degree in green tea...I am getting better and better at making green tea, but it still can turn out horrible sometimes...

What is the purpose of going down in reps like you do

This is basically taken from the standard pyramid routine, you go down in reps and increase in weight. It is a minimum of 3 sets but sometimes as many as 5. When you do 5 sets you go up in weight/down in reps and then back up again, it might go something like this....

1 x 12 at 30

1 x 10 at 35

1 x 8 at 40

1 x 10 at 35

1 x 12 at 30

It tends to help build size and to help bust you through a plateau, well it works for me at least.

Edited by sydneyvegan

There are these two things that taste coffeeish...Roma(roasted barley malt, roated barley, and cichory) and this stuff called INKA(which has those same things and a few other things I can't remember). Roma isn't bad, but its not quite coffee tasting but it has a hint of the flavour...INKA tastes amazing and has pretty good coffee flavour but even if that wasn't its intention it tastes pretty damn good in itself...I bought it on Pangea a long time ago and they don't sell it anymore but surely someone does.

Arms Today

Chins SS Dips

Chins I did 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8

Dips I did 1 x 10, 1 x 8 and 1 x 12

Reverse Barbell curls ss Inclined Dumbbell curls

1 x 12 at 70 ss 1 x 12 at 28

1 x 12 at 70 ss 1 x 12 at 28

1 x 10 at 70 ss 1 x 10 at 28

Dumbbell 21's

Set 1

7 at 39 + 7 at 33 + 7 at 28

Set 2

Set 3

One Arm Tricep Pushdowns

1 x 12 at 62

1 x 10 at 70

1 x 8 at 80

1 x 10 at 70

1 x 12 at 60

Rope Extensions SS Rope Pushdowns

1 x 12 at 110 ss 1 x 12 at 100

1 x 12 at 100 ss 1 x 12 at 88

1 x 10 at 100 ss 1 x 10 at 88

Preacher curls

1 x 12 at 77

1 x 10 at 90

1 x 8 at 100

Bench dips

3 x 30

Chest and Back today

Dumbbell Bench press

1 x 12 with 90 each arm

1 x 10 with 100 each arm

1 x 8 with 100 each arm

1 x 10 with 90 each arm

Lat pull downs

1 x 10 at 190

1 x 10 at 200

1 x 8 at 200

1 x 12 at 160

Incline Dumbbell press

1 x 12 at 77 each arm

1 x 12 at 77 each arm

1 x 10 at 55 each arm

Flyes

3 x 12 at 39 each arm

Seat row

3 x 12 at 200

Legs today...

Legs were very tired and heavy today so I did a fairly light workout. I still really felt it in my legs and expect to feel it even more tomorrow.

Squats

4 x 12 at 180

Leg press

4 x 20 at 300

Leg extensions

3 x 12 at 200

hamstring curls

3 x 12 at 100

Cafe raises

4 x 20 at 150

Taking the day off today...

I feel really flat as well as being stiff and sore, so I think my body is telling me to take it easy today...

I will skip my cardio day this week and make up for it on the weekend, I don't want to skip shoulders or arms...

Edited by sydneyvegan