El Paso Represents

Crystal

Hi All!

I'm new to the VBB forum, but others might know me from the VF one.

Lets see, I live in El Paso, Texas. Its great here, except for the fact that it is one of the most vegan-UNfriendly places I've ever lived . But other than that, the weather is great, the landscape is breathtaking, the people are nice, and I have a good gym to train in. What else could one need ?

I'm a powerlifter, have competed a couple of times at small local events, but I would like to get strong enough to compete on a larger scale. I'm also a martial artist, studying Hapkido, although I have no school at the moment.

I'm starting college again this fall for Geology, hoping to finish up as soon as I can. Go UTEP!

Hum, thats all I can think of for now. This is a great site/forum and I'm glad to now be a part of it .

Hey Crystal,

Thanks for coming over to introduce yourself. Welcome to the group! I think you've had some Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness gear for a couple of years now.

We've had forums for over 3 years, but just started this php-style one about a year ago, very similar set-up to VF.net per the request of Topher and others who didn't like our old forums that much

Great to have you hear, I see you are very active in a bunch of things, which is great.

I get especially happy when I see vegans competing because that is such a powerful way to promote our lifestyle.

Keep it up, and welcome aboard!

Wow, fast replies!

I think you've had some Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness gear for a couple of years now.

Aye, that I do. Although one of my shirts went to someone else, one fell apart , and the other is really small! Me thinks I need to get some new ones. . .

And its good to see you _raven_! Definatly have missed you, too. How could I forget ?

Hi

No, I've never been to Juarez . I don't speak hardly a word of Spanish and I don't want to get in a jam over there. The traffic is different, the streets are different, and I hear all sorts of stories of people getting thrown in jail . . .

All my friends that know the area and speak spanish won't go. When I ask, the reply is always "why would you want to go over there!?" Aparently only teenagers go over because the drinking age is lower in Mexico. I live not even 1/2 mile from the boarder (the view out my window is all Juarez), I could spit on Juarez, but its out of reach.

Anyway, I ramble, at least I've been out of the country now, just got back from Edinburgh , yay!

Crysta,

I used to live in El Paso myself and also had a view over the line. I have visited Juarez many times and encourage you not to be too swayed by other people and instead have your own experiences. While Juarez IS a particularly rough place, it's not so bad. Pay attention to your surroundings but dont worry too much.

Being in Mexico and surrounded by native speakers is a great way to learn and practice your espanol. I'd suggest going over on foot and/or by bus, with a friend who is fluent in Spanish. There's a lot to experience and lots of great people to meet! Being there can really open your eyes to so much... Just remember that there is so much more to Mexico as well.

Thanks again for all the welcomes .

. . .with a friend who is fluent in Spanish.

Aye, there's the catch! I'd love to go, and will eventually. There is a bus line that runs that way, I'll probably end up taking that. Just need a translator . . .

Mexico seems like such a great place, I'm looking forward to learning more about it!

And I remember you mentioning on VF where abouts you lived, I think it was the same area I'm at . I live really close to UTEP, within walking distance. How long were you here?

No friends fluent in Spanish?

Definitely do check Juarez out when you're ready. Mexico has it's ups & downs but I've always loved my time there and would strongly consider moving there if a few things were better/different.

I lived in El Paso off and on for a number of years when I was much younger. I'd like to visit again someday. Have you met many other vegans there?

So are you going to come up for the Vegan Vacation in August Crystal? Maybe you can help us understand the magic of Disco that so profoundly affected everyone at the Scottish gathering!

No friends fluent in Spanish?

Just none that will go to Juarez

I lived in El Paso off and on for a number of years when I was much younger. I'd like to visit again someday. Have you met many other vegans there?

You are welcome to visit me anytime . Bienvenidos! As for other vegans, I've met one who saw my VF sticker on my car, but he was only vegan for health reasons and was a little creepy (kept asking me over for diner with him and his wife even though I had just met him on the street? Wouldn't a public place be alittle more appropriate? Weird.).

So are you going to come up for the Vegan Vacation in August Crystal?

Hum, I hadn't thought of it, we'll see .

Maybe you can help us understand the magic of Disco that so profoundly affected everyone at the Scottish gathering!

Ah, for that I think we'd need the master of disco, Bronco man himself. I was only a mere observer of all the disco-tasticness. All I know is that its getting harder and harder to stay true to hardcore as disco is taking over!