Armenian Pizza

compassionategirl

i dont have a recipe.

So why post in the vegan recipe section - all a bit silly if you ask me. Poor jjaj2022 wants to have a crack at making this. You can't just go around teasing people like that. We could all list nice vegan food we've seen or heard about on here - what good would it be if we all were to turn around n say 'sorry folks, haven't the foggiest how you make it tho'.......

Nat, you tease !

Tarz maybe you and jjaj2022 could try googling Armenian Pizza recipe and you might find this: (Please note this was veganized with soy crumbles.)

INGREDIENTS:

TOPPING:

1 lb. soy crumbles (I recommend Morning Star Farms)

1 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped fine

1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped fine

1/2 cup chopped Armenian or Italian parsley

1 teaspoon chopped garlic

1 teaspoon of fresh sweet basil chopped

1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves chopped

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1 can diced tomatoes

1 small can tomato paste

Cayenne pepper to taste [optinal]

Salt and pepper to taste

PREPARATION:

•Brown off the soy crumbles and add the other ingredients and saute until onions and peppers are tender. Refrigerate overnight to marry the flavors.

DOUGH:

2 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour

1 pkg. Fleishman's dry yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1/4 cup Crisco shortening [melted]

1/2 cup warm water

Mix the sugar and salt with the yeast to dissolve, and in a large bowl add

sifted flour, shortening, and the yeast mixture. Knead into a smooth soft dough.

Add a little more four or water if necessary to dough is not too dry or too

sticky moist. Divide the dough into a dozen balls and roll out into tortilla

sized rounds [about 8 inches in diameter]. Place on lightly greased baking sheets.

Makes 12

Spoon the topping mixture on to the dough rounds spreading evenly to the edges of the lahmahjoons. Bake in preheated 450 degree oven about 20 minutes.

Place the "veganmahjoons" on a large piece of foil separating each one by stacking them face to face and dough side to dough side and then bring the edges of the large piece of foil over the whole stack. This will prevent them from drying out. Serve hot or cold. Cut into small pie wedges and serve as appetizers or snacks, or fill the whole veganmahjoon with a little green garden salad and fold over and eat like a taco.

NOTE: For a quick version you may use fluffy flour tortillas instead of the

above veganmahjoon dough. Tortillas must also be placed on greased pans for baking.

Nat, you tease !

Tarz maybe you and jjaj2022 could try googling Armenian Pizza recipe and you might find this: (Please note this was veganized with soy crumbles.)

INGREDIENTS:

DOUGH:

2 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour

1 pkg. Fleishman's dry yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1/4 cup Crisco shortening [melted]

1/2 cup warm water

Wait a minute - isnt Crisco pig lard? And if this internet recipe calls for Crisco, then that means that the Bakery probably also uses pig lard in its dough! I asked them a hundred times before I bought them whether this had any animal ingredients in the dough, and they assured me that it didnt!

WTF? I have been consuming pig lard without even knowing it? My first reaction is My second reaction is

found this at the site, havent look at the can yet:

"Crisco created the first shortening product made entirely of vegetable oil, and also promoted the first cooking oil recognized for its light taste. More recent innovations include Canola, Corn, and Natural Blend oils; Crisco Sticks for baking ease; and alcohol-free No-Stick Cooking Sprays. Crisco shortenings, sprays, and cooking oils remain key ingredients in kitchens throughout the world, complementing your favorite recipes and making cooking and baking a snap. "

of course I guess it dosent mean it is still made entirely of vegetalbe oil

Wait a minute - isnt Crisco pig lard? And if this internet recipe calls for Crisco, then that means that the Bakery probably also uses pig lard in its dough! I asked them a hundred times before I bought them whether this had any animal ingredients in the dough, and they assured me that it didnt!

WTF? I have been consuming pig lard without even knowing it? My first reaction is My second reaction is

Crisco isn't made from pig lard, it's made from vegetable oils(click the link to their website). My mom uses it and I have scanned the ingredients numerous times (even the butter flavor). It's also why I left it in the recipe Nat. Granted it's not the healthiest, but the ingredients are vegan.

My mom uses it and I have scanned the ingredients numerous times (even the butter flavor). It's also why I left it in the recipe Nat. Granted it's not the healthiest, but the ingredients are vegan.

Ya, I wasnt sure if it actually was pig lard, and if it was, I thought maybe you missed it/didnt see it. I know you wouldnt intentionally post a non vegan ingredient Crash. Hm, sorry if my post came across as implying otherwise. I was confused more than anything because I always thought/'assumed (until now) that Crisco shortening was animal lard. I dont actually use it so I never really needed to confirm (before now) my assumption when I went vegan.

Anyway, thanks for educating me on what the hell Crisco is. And thanks for the recipe. I take it you yourself have had Armenian pizza?

pazios, your mom makes homemade Armenian Pizza? Are you Armenian (not that you have to be Armenian to make Armenian pizza)?

Oils and shortenings are tricky in the US...if it says 100% vegetable then it has to be...if is says vegetable then it only has to be 80% vegetable...craziest BS ever but its true...whenever I see vegetable shortening on a label I leave it alone unless it states the source...most of they time it will say soybean and/or cottonseed oil but when it just says vegetable oil I just don't trust it...normally the less it says the cheaper it is and therefore its probably more unhealthy anyway even if it is vegan...it may be fully hydrogenized instead of partially or who knows what