I tried papayas for the 1st time today and I dont like em.

compassionategirl

There are some foods that take several tries to like. I think papaya is one of them. (It took me three go-rounds to like lima beans, and now I really like them!).

A ripe papaya is sweet, but not as much as mango.

I like papaya, but I don't 'love' it. I also like papaya juice, except it smells like vomit (but doesn't taste like it...odd effect, since the odor of most things seem to affect their taste. )

I think mangos are best mixed with other foods.

The other day, I had a papaya with some baby lettuces on it (my 'baby' letttuces were VERY small lettuces from a mesclun mix I planted, but which hasn't gotten big yet...I want to make sure to pick it before it gets too hot, since lettuce doesn't like heat).

Mangos are my absolute all time favorite fruit.

Papayas, on the other hand, I don't even like to be in the same room with them!

Yes, they're all generally very mild in flavor. My particular hateful feelings stem from a rather unpleasant 3 days in Mexico that began almost immediately following ingestion of fresh papaya. Now just the smell makes me want to start vomiting all over again....

Not really a huge fan of the actual fruit, but I made some papaya guacamole once that turned out pretty good.

Now, that sounds interesting. Did you just sub papaya for the avocado and use a regular recipe?

I eat papayas once in a while, for the sake of variety, and because they have good digestive enzymes in. And who knows what they might have in that other foods don't?

Not really a huge fan of the actual fruit, but I made some papaya guacamole once that turned out pretty good.

Now, that sounds interesting. Did you just sub papaya for the avocado and use a regular recipe?

I eat papayas once in a while, for the sake of variety, and because they have good digestive enzymes in. And who knows what they might have in that other foods don't?

It had papaya and avocado. I got it out of some vegan cookbook I've got laying around the house. It wasn't bad, but I blended it too long and it got too runny.

They smell like crap and I think thats why they don't taste as good as they should...well they do taste as good you just don't notice because smell has so much to do with taste. Anyway when I can get them cheap I scoop out the seeds, throw in some silken tofu, berries and nuts and spoon away at it. I love eating them that way. They can make for a good smoothie too

• 1 month later...

I didn't care for the taste at first and really prefer eating them with other fruits in a smoothie. We can grow them here in Florida as well as mangos. It doesn't take as long to grow a papaya though.

I can't stand mangos in the US...its not that they're bad but when you try one from SE Asia you'll never enjoy a Mexican mango(the most common hear...the red/green kind). It like freeze dried coffee...if you've never had good coffee you'd love the fake stuff too.

I'd like to but its illegal...shhhh we used to get illegal mangos, and some other produce a long time ago(about $8 a pound) until I realized what problems go along with that(many foreign bugs and such even though its probably too late). So now we deal with what we can get

I'd like to but its illegal...shhhh we used to get illegal mangos, and some other produce a long time ago(about $8 a pound) until I realized what problems go along with that(many foreign bugs and such even though its probably too late). So now we deal with what we can get

So, how does that work? You go to like a dark park district late at night to get your mango fix by the local pimp/mango pusher?

I have never liked fruit. Or veggies, although I've grown to like my veggies. I grew up on Hostess. No shit. I ate so much sugar as a kid. So, I'm trying a fruit a day program. I think in the past I've overwhelmed myself by trying to eat 2-3 pieces of fruit a day. I think I can tackle 1 piece a day. For today I have a fresh nectarine.

So, how does that work? You go to like a dark park district late at night to get your mango fix by the local pimp/mango pusher?

My mummy knew a guy that managed the produce at a small asian grocer and he smuggled them in...probably with a bunch of other illegal stuff too I'm sure