I got in to the Esthetician Program!

I found out today that my application to a local esthetician program was accepted. I can't wait to start learning!!! I love helping others feel good about themselves and travelling and this type of job keeps both those doors wide open! It's one year and there's job placement within that year which will be of great use to me I'd love to work at a spa that had a very natural living outlook someday, that's the dream is anyone else on here in the esthetics or beauty field?

Congratulations!

I worked in spas for a couple of years as a licensed massage therapist. I did a few other things like some seaweed treatments, mini-facials, etc. So I know the spa scene well Yes, it does allow for lots of traveling! I went to 19 countries traveling on a cruise ship, then swiched departments and went to another 10-15 countries doing something other than spa work.

I had a good time and a bunch of my friends are estheticians.

Congrats and have fun with it!

Hey! It sounds like you enjoyed yourself working in the industry, are you still working in that field? The whole experience of being able to travel and use my diploma wherever I want really opens more doors for me, apparently you found the same with massage therapy

What did you think of working on cruise ships? It seems like a great way to meet new people, but the whole..living on the water thing is a bit out of one's element. You settled in Oregon though right? I know this is kind of off topic but, how is it there? I've always wanted to move to California, but once I did some more research in to the cost of living it became less and less logical. Oregon is quite close, I was wondering if it's a bit cheaper to live there and what you have to say about it

Hola eternaljustice,

I know your questions were aimed at Robert but thought I'd throw in my thoughts on Oregon. I love it here! I've traveled a pretty fair amount in the US, plus a bit in SW Canada (BC) and NW Mexico (Sonora y Chihuahua) and I've lived in several parts of the US. There's lots of great places and people out there but for me, out of everywhere that I've been Oregon is my favorite overall. Theres more than a few similarities to California and lots of differences too... Generally, Oregon is the cheapest of the left coast states - and a LOT cheaper than Cali. on average.

Did ya have any other questions about Oregon?

oooohhh that's awesome that you replied! thanks a lot!

I definitely have a billion questions because I'm seriously thinking about moving there in the not so distant future. What's the weather generally like? Are there jobs available? What's the general cost of living that you know of? Is it safe? Clean? It looks like it would be amazing, right between kinda B.C. and California..if we rule out Washington and what not lol..

Ask away! I not only love it here but I also love getting cool folks to come visit and/or move here!

Weather - One of the great things about Oregon is the intense amount of natural diversity and this includes climate and weather. For now, I'll assume that you'll be joining the bulk of Oregonians and live in here in the Willamette Valley. This includes all of the bigger cities such as Portland & outlying area's, Salem, Corvallis & Eugene.

I like the weather here a lot better than the weather in your area and better than the weather in most places. Generally it is very moderate, it is rare that the temperature will get below freezing (0 degree's Celsius) or above 32 degree's celsius for more than 2 or 3 days. The summers tend to be warm and mostly sunny and dry. The rest of the year can take some getting used to for some folks! It rarely rains a LOT here but it is cloudy and or drizzling most of the year. That said, there can be days of sunny, dry and even fairly warm weather in the middle of winter.

Jobs - It *can* be a bit tough to get a good paying job quickly in most fields but if you are somewhat flexible than you should do fine. Also the state minimum wage is one of the highest in the US at $7.50 an hour. A good place to look for jobs is Craigslist: http://www.portland.craigslist.org

I think that jobs tend to be easier to find and get in the Portland area than most of the rest of the state...

Cost of living - This depends on a lot of things - primarily what area you live in and what you want/need. Generally, it is a bit more expensive here than much of the US, but less expensive than most of the left coast. Plus there are many "quality of life" bonuses that come from living here in Cascadia (aka the Pacific Northwest", such as being around lots of vegan and otherwise progressive folks, having tons of great nature, cheaper organic foods, etc.

Safety - I find that this tends to be largely a perception issue. From what I've read in the media and heard from people, there is much less violence here than say in Toronto or San Francisco. I do not generally ever feel unsafe or threatened. Like anywhere, there are problems and area's that you may wish to avoid esp. at night, etc..

Clean? Yes! Much more so than most places - I think this is largely due to

the great recycling programs and the fact that most Cascadians care about nature.

And the overall region is one of the best things about living here - there is something here for just about everyone!

More questions!

Thanks for all the information, it was really great to have someone around who's from the area to ask things.

The weather there sounds amazingly unlike home, here we have hot summer months, then the fall where it's kinda drizzly, then cold cold winters..I hate the cold! It'd be nice to see what living in a different climate would be like. The whole "highest minimum wage rate" thing is definitely a perk, I had no idea it was lower elsewhere. Where I am minumum wage is $7.75 and it's going up to $8.00 in February of 2007!

I would also like to thank you for the job search link, I'm surely going to put it to good use in the next year! I don't seem to have anymore questions about things but thank you for all the time you put in to replying to me

I forgot to mention that my wife is about to start school for massage and will be doing a spa program as part of that...

The wet and cloudy weather here can be a downer but I prefer it to extreme cold. We're also just a long days drive from much warmer and sunnier weather of the SW US & NW Mexico!

Yeah, the minimum wage here is a big bonus - in most of the US it is only $5.15 an hour! I think Washington is the highest at $7.63... Did I mention that there is no sales tax in Oregon?

Will you be coming out for the Vegan Vacation?