Help! I need someone with strong arms...

_raVen_

to help me with my coconut disaster

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Raven_PZ/Food%20Album/RAW/Oh_no_Coco.jpg

Okay, I'll settle for any help!

I've tried and tried...These are so hard to open The brown hairy ones are hard-shelled and crack very easily...these are soft and crazy! I used a hammer and a cleaver on this sucker, to no avail!

What can I do to save this poor coconut? I need the meat today.

Anyone have ideas??

Ya makin' funna me, Jay?

Oh, well, it's too late now. I only had a window oftime in which to prepare it, freeze it, and have it be ready in time for tonight, and I have to leave now . I'll have to come up with something super quick tonight

Thanks to anyone who thought about it, anyway.

The brown coconuts are old coconuts...they lose their flavour(an antioxidants) but are sweeter...the one your speaking of is young...buco we call it in the Philippines. Anyway for younglings we use a machete and facet away the green husk shaving it to a point...kinda like the way you would sharpen a pencil if you only had a knife...then when you get it to a point(deep enough to to shell or course) you chop the tip off. I'm not great at doing it but I can manage...my mother and her sisters on the other hand holds the nut in one hand and hack away at it with the other...you'd think they were trying to chop their own arm off but obviously they never do...just really good aim.

Thats almost all they sell in the states...the green ones which taste best are hard to get(gotta climb up and cut them down). The brown ones are old and more than likely are what fell from the tree. Most are always hand cut and machines aren't really used when you can get some kid to do that for 8hrs a day.

Man, that looks like one of those creatures from aliens burst out of it!

I've heard about using cleavers and small axes on them. I've seen someone use the 'butt' of a carving knife to stab holes in around the top until there is an opening. When I was a kid, my dad used to saw the hard brown ones apart.

Not very helpful, I know.

What about going to the top of a tall building and dropping it?

i am terrified of axes, machetties so here is a fool proof, girl-friendly way to get into that coconut.....

OK, do you see how the top of the coconut is kinda pointy, and there is a squared off edge where the pointy top meets the rest of the coconut? you want to take your butcher knife (yes, the BIG one) and place it just above that edge and moving toward the pointy top, shave off a layer of white hair. rotate the coconut a bit and shave the next section off. what you are doing is making the area that you have to whack thru thinner. i shave a couple of times till i get all the way down to the bare shell. then, place it on its side (with the pointy top to the right) and place your knife just to the right of that squared edge, and give it a medium sized WHACK.....just enough to get the knife thru a tiny bit. now put the coconut back on its butt and take the point of your knife and stick it in the opening you just made with the blade facing right....rotate the coconut clockwise while gently moving the knife counterclockwise......keep going until you have made a circle and the top will come right off!! NO MESS, NO COCONUT JUICE LOST.

The brown coconuts are old coconuts...they lose their flavour(an antioxidants) but are sweeter...the one your speaking of is young...buco we call it in the Philippines. Anyway for younglings we use a machete and facet away the green husk shaving it to a point...kinda like the way you would sharpen a pencil if you only had a knife...then when you get it to a point(deep enough to to shell or course) you chop the tip off. I'm not great at doing it but I can manage...my mother and her sisters on the other hand holds the nut in one hand and hack away at it with the other...you'd think they were trying to chop their own arm off but obviously they never do...just really good aim.

agree

i am terrified of axes, machetties so here is a fool proof, girl-friendly way to get into that coconut.....

OK, do you see how the top of the coconut is kinda pointy, and there is a squared off edge where the pointy top meets the rest of the coconut? you want to take your butcher knife (yes, the BIG one) and place it just above that edge and moving toward the pointy top, shave off a layer of white hair. rotate the coconut a bit and shave the next section off. what you are doing is making the area that you have to whack thru thinner. i shave a couple of times till i get all the way down to the bare shell. then, place it on its side (with the pointy top to the right) and place your knife just to the right of that squared edge, and give it a medium sized WHACK.....just enough to get the knife thru a tiny bit. now put the coconut back on its butt and take the point of your knife and stick it in the opening you just made with the blade facing right....rotate the coconut clockwise while gently moving the knife counterclockwise......keep going until you have made a circle and the top will come right off!! NO MESS, NO COCONUT JUICE LOST.

Shes on the dot.