Spirulina!!! PLEASE Help me make it not taste so terrible.

Guest veganpotter

I know I may be asking for the impossible here but I'm gonna do it anyway!!! Does anyone have an interesting way of using spirluna that doesn't make your mouth taste like you were body surfing and a wave through you onto land and made you face plant in a ton of seaweed I just can't figure it out. Other than Odwalla bars and some Super Food drinks I haven't had any luck getting any down in a barable fashion. I gave up and for the past 2 months I've been taking my 5-8grams worth straight...sounds terrible and it is but atleast its fast(kind of...its a little like trying to swallow a spoonful of sand). Anyway I figured I'd get used to it but I'm developing a mental allergy to it and its getting harder to get down. So hard that the last two weeks my 20 minute cool down on my bike which normally goes to thinking about pottery designs or maybe a good dinner has now converted to anxiety about eating it. Its so good for you I'm not gonna stop for anything but I'd like to make it reasonably consumable or even yummy in a fairly cheap way(surely I could hide it in a shell of vegan cheese but I can't afford that every day)...I liked it when I made spinach/seaweed soup but I got sick of it quick and now I don't want anything to do with it. It used to be one of my favorite soups and I don't think I'll every eat it again. I have about a two year supply and I bought it that way because it was so much cheaper than pill form and I'm really regretting it now Even diluting a serving in half a gallon of soup doesn't cover it up at all...it just seems to punish you longer for your efforts. It seems like the exact opposite from peanuts...the more I use it the more I wanna use it so I just don't for diet's sake, but unfortunately I feel good when I take and and I want it less and less. I know I may be over complaining a little but I can't stress how much I hate how it tastes now...by the way I highly recommend getting some you'll feel awesome!!! I just wish there was a comperable substitute...brussel sprouts are something I've never liked so I just gave up on them but I don't think anything comes close to the nutritional content of this terrible tasting radio-active green grit.

***I think if the right wing anti-vegans are correct and Rush Limbaugh or Ted Nugent are actually gods then they may have been the people who told health nuts that spirulina is healthy as their own little joke and its really just a slow working poison.

Potter (like the famous Harry?), you're not alone! I can TOTALLY relate!

Laughed my ass of reading your post...

Does anyone have an interesting way of using spirluna that doesn't make your mouth taste like you were body surfing and a wave through you onto land and made you face plant in a ton of seaweed

I think this comparison is an euphemism...

for the past 2 months I've been taking my 5-8grams worth straight...sounds terrible and it is but atleast its fast(kind of...its a little like trying to swallow a spoonful of sand).

I tried this ONCE and certainly will never again!

You're so hardcore!

Anyway I figured I'd get used to it but I'm developing a mental allergy to it and its getting harder to get down.

I had this "mental allergy" after the first try...

So hard that the last two weeks my 20 minute cool down on my bike which normally goes to thinking about pottery designs or maybe a good dinner has now converted to anxiety about eating it.

I can imagine, i'm scared at the mere thought of having to eat it again... *shudders*

I have about a two year supply and I bought it that way because it was so much cheaper than pill form and I'm really regretting it now

Man, i wish i knew an answer other than take the pill form.

But as it is, i wish you a good appetite:

I think I'm waiting for a scientist to discover that its not vegan. If someone gives me good proof that algae isn't a plant it'll be a breeze to stop eating it. I think thats part of how/why I don't eat brussels. They taste gross and they feel like they are alive when you put them in your mouth...haven't had one for almost 10yrs thank goodness.

I think thats part of how/why I don't eat brussels. They taste gross and they feel like they are alive when you put them in your mouth...haven't had one for almost 10yrs thank goodness.

That is The Best Description Ever of brussel sprouts.

what i do is, i use a teaspoon in my morning smoothie.

the recipe:

1 cup soymilk(or ricemilk,etc)

1/2 cup ground raw quick oats

1 cup frozen strawberries( or blueberries, etc.)

1 big tablespoon of rice protien powder

1 teaspoon of sprulina powder

1 tablespoon of flaxoil

1 tablespoon aloe vera juice

mixed all up in a blender its very good in the morning

It just hasn't done the trick for me in smoothies...smoothies taste great and to me the spirulina really takes away the flavour of bananas and pretty much everything else.

• 1 month later...

I'm keeping this:

I know I may be over complaining a little but I can't stress how much I hate how it tastes now...by the way I highly recommend getting some you'll feel awesome!!!

as my signature. Some quotes are just too good to be wasted!

I was thinking of having a quote by Einstein, Martin Luther King, Ghandi or Lech Walesa but it's no use when the geniouses are so close. You knocked this one out of the park dude. I can't stop laughing.

Sometimes, a bit of lemon juice in water with 'green' foods cuts the 'green' taste. I haven't tried it with spirulina, though (at least not straight: I've used it with "Vitamineral Green," which contains spirulina).

I usually prefer whole foods to pills, but chlorella (similar to spirulina, and just as yukky tasting!) is one exception. I buy pills that are just compressed chlorella, then I don't have to worry too much about the flavor. For spirulina, I'd buy some vegan gel caps and make capsules out of it.

sesame- spirulina bars a dessert that is also a super-powered tonic.

Yeild: 12-16 servings

1/2 cup coconut oil

1/3 cup agave

1/2 teaspoon celtic salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup spirulina

3/4 cup sesame seeds

3/4 cup pine nuts

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoruoghly. Press the mixture into an 8'' x 10'' glass pan. Refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour and cut it into squares before serving. I think that you will really enjoy this they are very tasty. The recipe comes from Rawsome cookbook.