Summer Shape-Up Challenge July 1st-Sept 24th

I feel like I'm doing great! I'm gaining weight (hopefully it's good weight. It sure looks and feels like it) and getting a bit bigger. I could use some tips for those who know about this though: I'm something of a weakling. Funny thing is, I look bigger and stronger than the guys that are benching twice as much as I am. Basically, how can I train for strength?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how it is going at the moment:

I am not losing a lot of fat at the moment, but gaining some muscles on chest and shoulders. Strength is getting better so I hope that I will gain a little more. Seven weeks left. So, I do my best.

New personal best on flat bench press:

I started June 29th

bench was 6x60kg(132lbs)

Today August 9th

bench 4x65kg(143lbs) 6x70kg(154lbs) 3x75kg(165lbs) 2x75kg 2x75kg 2x75kg 4x70kg

Which is an improvement of 15kgs(33lbs) within 6 weeks.

My goal on bench press is 8x75kg(165lbs) and then aim for 8x77.5kg(170.5lbs). Maybe at the end of this challange at least 1x80kg(176lbs).

How are you guys doing at the moment? Any progress in strength or grow?

I have only benched once in he past year (and that happened last week!)....so dont have a good measure of progress for that.

For the first 5 weeks of training, I was doing primarily isometirc holds so I don't have a good barometer for improvement that most others would be able to really understand.

I recently, however, switched to standard set & rep lifting (3 sets of 8-12 reps) and my body is responding well so I am going to balance the two styles of weight training and see where it gets me.

Strength wise I am seeing definite gains. My 1 set max for push ups has gone from 30 to 54 since the beginning of the challenge.

My yoga practice has also gotten a TON better.

My bodyfat has dropped 5% (with my weight unchanged).

That said, I still have a loong way to go to have results that really visually apparent. But I do feel amazing so that certaintly counts for something (even if it wont help me win the challenge!). I attribute a lot of my gains to a major overhaul in my diet (I am 50% raw right now, and the other 50% is damn close ).

My goal on bench press is 8x75kg(165lbs) and then aim for 8x77.5kg(170.5lbs). Maybe at the end of this challange at least 1x80kg(176lbs).

ALREADY DID IT!

After a warming up with some sets with 60, 70 and 75kgs I put on 77,5kgs(170.5lbs) and finally... 1 rep 80kgs(176lbs) and again 1 rep 80kgs!!!!!

Even if I don't get in shape enough to win this challenge, I have started my own challenge now. Let's see how much weight I can bench press after the last 6 weeks of the challenge (maybe 85kgs???)

• 3 weeks later...

So far I've been doing pretty great. I gained 17 pounds in the first month and lost 7 pounds shortly after. That's a huge weight variation that I'm pretty sure isn't optimal. I think it's just that I gained a lot of muscle and fat and now I've lost the fat. That's my hope anyway. I'm getting bigger and stronger everyday though. My bench press working weight is 145lbs and I have no clue what my max is though I think i could get up to 185. I thought this was pretty good considering I only weigh 136lbs. Other than that arbitrary measure of progress, I feel just plain great! (a much more important measure of progress, IMO)

I injured my right shoulder (where the muscle attaches) about 2 weeks ago - and instead of freaking out and quitting - I just switched my program from lifting weights to riding a bicycle. Where I was lifting free weights 3 days a week, and treadmill 6 days a week, now I'm still with the treadmill and riding my bike 12 miles a day, 5 or 6 days a week.

I lost 15 lbs, then gained 4, then lost 3 - but the general shape of my body and fit of my clothes has definately changed. Plus, like Bryce said, overall I feel great!

Also, I have learned a lot about food & calories which may be simple to some - but humongous for me!! For the first time in my life I feel I have some control over my weight & weight loss ability as I keep a daily food journal.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with you all again this time. My afters from Spring will be my befores this time. Taking pics this weekend for my trainer so she can tweak my plan pre-show (2 figure comps on 9/30 and 10/7). So my afters will be in a sparkly coral bikini and those stripper heels again, and I don't want to hear anything about it--LOL!

I'm not particularly thrilled with all of this final week prep, but between this site, and my teammates, and seeing results from busting my tushy and all of the time meal-planning/prepping--it's worth it!

Keep up the good work for this challenge, I'm cheering you all on!

I just had a great idea.. I could finally get myself a tongue piercing made. I wouldn't be able to eat much for a few days. That could be supportive to lose weight

Hey--and I could finally have my wisdom teeth taken out!

I could have my jaw wired shut! But duct tape would be so much cheaper!

Don't know about FormicaLinoleum, but I got my tongue piercing. So let us see your wired jaw

soo...the contest is now over....well, it actually never ends b/c I get the sense there will be another one starting right away...right rob?

good luck to everyone and hope you learned a lot...I know I sure did during the last few months (especially what NOT to do..)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, we'll be doing Voting soon. Robert Cheeke has been away for a couple of weeks and the week before that preparing to leave. Sorry for the delay, I've been out of the country twice and currently out in Baltimore, MD.

We'll get the photos and voting up soon and we'll start another contest in the near future.

Thanks to those who have participated so far and we'll get you up here soon.

Thanks again for your patience. I plan on getting to this in the next couple of days.

Great job everyone and I look forward to being able to show the before and after photos soon.

I have a few too many projects going on now, my own fault completely, but I will get to this soon.

All the best - Robert

• 5 weeks later...

Again, I apologize for the delay. Results are coming soon. I thought I'd be able to get them up before the Vegan Holiday Festival (www.veganholidayfestival.com) but I just didn't get to it. I have the data on two different computers, online one is connected to the internet. Once this festival is over, I'll sort everything out, get the voting going and give out lots of extra prizes for my long delays.

There won't be anymore major contests for a while. It is just too much work for me and I'm already more overworked than anyone could imagine. I haven't had a break from being busy 7 days a week in 2 years and it is really getting to me, so I will back off of a lot of projects very soon.

I'll get this challenge updated as soon as I get the chance. Thanks again for your patience and awesome job to everyone who completed this 12 week body transformation! Everyone did very well!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm working on it. I had all kinds of problems with info on different computers and not having one of them hooked up and I did a poor job of keeping track of things.

I really apologize for all the delays. I took on way too many projects and couldn't handle it. That is why I decided not to do anymore and others stepped up to be in charge. I'm just not good at keeping track of things.

I'm going through the dozens of e-mails, getting the photos together and I hope to get the results up soon.

Of course, I still have all the prizes too, since most are from companies I work directly with.

I'm really sorry for the delay and I'll try to get results up as soon as I can.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey man, good to see you back on here. Without exaderating, I think about it everyday. One of my biggest fears has always been disappointing people, and I know I've disappointed at least 10 people by not following through with this.

I don't think I can find all the data I need. I started using two different computers throughout the contest and then had e-mail storage issues so I saved images but deleted the e-mails and I seem to be all mixed up now. But I will continue to sort through it. I've decided I will no long host any contests, but I'll have others do it.

For example Lelle stepped up and offered to host a contest, and I'm sure we'll do more and more, I just won't be in charge anymore. I'm too scattered to run things like this.

Sorry man, and others. I'll try to find what I need and at least get something up so then we can do some sort of voting and prizes can be awarded.

I know people worked hard for this, I've seen the results and they are awesome!

Thanks for the reminder. You know I need it.