greetings from the Beef Belt

karlhubris

Greetings from Amarillo (pronounced Am-a-rill-uh, rhymes with duh...trust me it's appropriate) Texas. I've been vegetarian for 15 years, and vegan for the last 10. I study history at West Texas A&M University, where the only Ph.D program is in Agricultural science, ie beef production. I will graduate in May 2007 and will hopefully be going to grad school in either Seattle or Chapel Hill, NC. My wife and our 5 year old daughter are lacto-ovo vegetarian and we are expecting another child in November. I will be 35 on June 18th. I have dabbled in running and weight training. I have started training again recently, partly due to the effects of too much Tofutti and other delicious vegan treats.

This area is very frustrating as a vegan. If I tell people I don't eat meat they look at me as if I said I eat babies. Remember, this is the place that sued Oprah for "bad mouthing" beef. I'm curious as to how it is in Houston. Any better?

Glad to meet others interested in fitness and veganism.

Welcome! Great to have you here. You'll be happy to know that other than Oregon, there are more members on this forum from Texas than anywhere else! So you will find many Texans to connect with and possibly meet up with at some sort of event.

This is a pretty awesome place, and we're happy you found us. Have a great time on the forum and welcome aboard!

Hello & Welcome!

It's great to see more parents (and Texans) joining the board! My wife is vegan, as are our 3 kids ages 8, 5 & 3 - all vegan since before birth. Having lived in Texas a good portion of my life, I can definitely relate to your experiences. Never spent much time up there in the panhandle but it seems like a (cultural) world away from other parts of the state.

While Chapel Hill is a very nice place, I like Seattle and this region better in general. Have you heard about the Vegan Vacation week happening here in Portland, Oregon this August? It would be great if you and your family could come up!

For my B.A. I'm studying just a basic history load...Modern Asia, Colonial and Modern Latin America, Nazi Germany, and a bunch of American History. For my grad studies I think I will focus on early 20th century labor history or ethnohistory focusing on America's indigenous people. This summer I'm taking readings courses on Colonial American "Indians" and pre-contact peoples of South America...really interesting stuff. If I had gone to school earlier I might have studied feudal Japan, but I have a hard enough time with English, it would be hard for me to acquire the necessary language skills to properly study that subject.

Thanks...I think my contempt of this place helps keep me going! I feel like when I finally do leave this place I'll feel like Harrison Bergeron (from the Kurt Vonnegut short story). This place is like a lead weight that makes me so much stronger in my convictions. At least thats how I rationalize it and keep from going insane!

greetings fellow texan.... i mean.... HOWDY!

I'm curious as to how it is in Houston. Any better?

Glad to meet others interested in fitness and veganism.

Houston and Austin are both very vegan/vegetarian friendly. Austin is a smaller town and you can find vegan restaurants and stores easier. Houston has plenty as well. but Houston is much larger and more spread out. you have to do a little searching and traveling, but it is there. seek and you shall find.

welcome to the boards!

Ft. Worth has an place called Spiral Diner, and they are making one in Dallas. Its all vegan, and mostly organic if not all organic. There are 2 veg buffets in Richardson (Veggie Garden, Suma Veggie Cafe). Dallas has several places with veg options, even a raw restaurant. I think TX is doin alright with veg places, they are not within walking distance to me though, so I wish this would change. In 3 months though Denton will have a raw cafe and juice place. The food will be cheap...too bad I'll be gone by then, but if anyone is out this way try to find it. It's on the square, and just about everyone here can tell you where that is.

My wife and our 5 year old daughter are lacto-ovo vegetarian and we are expecting another child in November.

My girlfriend is also lacto-ovo-veg and my daughter (13 month) is lacto-veg (very little dairy actually). I did not succeed taking her with me on the journey to veganism.

We are planning more kids, too, hopefully soon!!!