Losing a Pet

nicole

I know there was a thread around here before about pets where I posted pictures of all five of my babies, but we've had some bad news over here. My 16/17 year old (he was a stray, we're not sure) boston terrier, Cornholio passed away on Sunday morning. He had been having some neurological trouble which had been diagnosed as "canine cognative disorder" (basically "doggie alzheimers") and was on new medication for.

Unfortunately, Sunday morning I woke up to him having a seizure in the bed and when we took him to the vet that morning, he was diagnosed with a probable brain tumor. They could have done an MRI to confirm, but he would have been too old to survive brain surgery, so our only other option was to drug him up enough that he wouldn't feel the effects of the tumor... no way for a doggie to live, really. And so we had him put down... with my husband and I holding him. It was really hard. Just before he was put to sleep, the vet helped me by finding some ink and we took Cornholio's paw print, which my husband and I are both having tattooed on the 21st (we happened to already have the appointment for something else, but have since changed our designs).

Anyway, I know I posted pictures of him before, so I thought maybe some people would care to hear the news. Plus, he was just a super cool dog and I can't tell enough people about him. He was my first dog! He'd only lived with my husband and I for about 4 years, but had lived with my father in law for about 10 years prior to that. He was a super cool guy. You would have liked him! It's so tough without him here, but I know it will get better.

With his other doggie siblings Maizy and Wrigley...

http://www.ilikeitsalty.com/storage/mules/dogsout08.jpg

http://www.ilikeitsalty.com/storage/mules/doggies10.jpg

With me!

http://www.ilikeitsalty.com/storage/mules/dogsout14.jpg

By his own cute self.

http://www.ilikeitsalty.com/storage/mules/cornbear2.jpg

http://www.ilikeitsalty.com/storage/mules/corncamo.jpg

I'm really sorry to hear that. I recently lost my cat, Juju, so I know just how much it sucks.

Just before he was put to sleep, the vet helped me by finding some ink and we took Cornholio's paw print, which my husband and I are both having tattooed on the 21st (we happened to already have the appointment for something else, but have since changed our designs).

That's so great. I wanted to get a tattoo in Juju's memory, but I don't know what to get. That's so awesome that you will have his pawprint.

FormicaLinoleum,

Awww... I'm sorry to hear about Juju. It is such a tough thing... We knew that Cornholio was getting old and that his time was "near" for a few months now, but you just really can never prepare for how absolutely hard it is to lose a family member like that. I hope you're doing okay.

I am really excited to get my tattoo finished. It is on the underside of my right arm, where I have a blank space. I have been anxious about getting that spot filled for a while since that area is really painful for me, but now I've found the design that I am finally willing to endure that pain for. I think it will really help me cope some, having a little piece of him with me. Good luck finding the perfect design for Juju.

My condolences Nicole, Cornholio was a cutie and in his pictures it's easy to see he was happy and content. Getting a tattoo of his pawprint is a great tribute (wish I had thought of that for a previous doggie roommate). Please post a picture of your pawtoo after you get it done.

I'm so sorry about Cornholio (cute name!).

I've lost several cats over the years, and it's been so painful. But that doesn't stop me from adopting more! It just sucks to love a species that has such a short life span compared to ours. And many people don't understand your pain, because 'it's just a dog/cat/whatever' .

When I was a kid, we didn't have to euthanize any of our cats. They just died a natural death, getting weaker and skinnier, but not in any visible pain. When I was 14, my "brother" cat, Tiger, just didn't wake up one morning, and when I went to pet him in his bed, he didn't move, and my dad said "Tiger's gone." That's how I hoped all my cats would go, but I've had to make the choice to euthanize them, and it's always a tough choice (one I may have to be making soon with my eldest, Scooter).

Much love to you and your family. I know that the time Cornholio had with you was time when he was well-loved and appreciated.

And my thoughts also go out to all of the rest of you who have lost beloved fur-children.

Crash,

Thank you. Yeah, I had actually been meaning to take his paw print for a while, in order to eventually work it into a tattoo. Unfortunately, I still hadn't, and so I did so on my last opportunity, as we are having Cornholio cremated and returned to us. I will add a picture here when the tattoo is done on Wednesday.

Robert,

Thank you. Also, I received your package, but haven't had time yet to email you back about it. I look forward to watching the dvd! Thanks!

Kathryn,

Thank you so much for your message. Yes, we'd half hoped that Cornholio would die in his sleep, but were extremely relieved that we were home with him on his last day so that he wouldn't die alone. Seeing him have a seizure was very scary, but I can't imagine him having gone through that alone. I'm glad that we were able to be with him when he passed. It was a very tough choice, but clearly the most humane for his case as he wasn't yet in any pain and was still able to recognise us at times. I wouldn't have wanted his condition to have gotten any worse. It definitely won't stop us from adopting in the future, but it is hard to lose someone you love so much.

Daywalker,

Thank you. Cornholio was very spoiled and well-loved. He spent his days lounging in our bed and ruling the house (he was the alpha of to much larger dogs and two cats - even when he lost his sight and hearing).

Nicole, my deepest sympathies on the loss of your beloved family member.

he was such a cool looking doggy!

What really did me in with your post (I was already getting choked up but I started sobbing uncontrollably when I read about the paw print you took which you will tattoo. What a f***ing awesome tribute!

AND can I just say how much respect I have for you and your partner that you stayed with him, right up until he took his last breath, so he didnt die among the arms and company of strangers. Not everybody does that, and I think that is REALLY sad. I cant imagine a time when our animals need us the most - i.e. their last moments on earth. So I think you are awesome for putting your own sadness aside for those moments and being there for your friend, right up until the very end!

**hugs**

Crispy Q,

Thank you. Especially in his old age, Cornholio was particularly demanding and needed a lot of special care and attention as he'd lost his ability to go up and down steps, etc. Not only has his absence left me with a big hole in my life, but the absence of caring for him has left me not knowing what to do at times now when I would have been doing something for him. It does take some getting used to.

compassionategirl,

Thank you for your comment. It was definitely not easy to be there for him through all of his illness, but he was a family member, so there was really no other options as far as we were concerned. He's had issues prior to this including two hernia surgeries (expensive... get your pet neutered!!!) and a few other issues that, looking back, could have been related to his brain disease. Being there for him at the end was exactly how we wanted it, even if it was hard. I'd have hated for him to die alone under any circumstances. He was truly our baby.

loveliberate,

Thank you. He was an adorable, great dog, and a rescue!

AND can I just say how much respect I have for you and your partner that you stayed with him, right up until he took his last breath, so he didnt die among the arms and company of strangers. Not everybody does that, and I think that is REALLY sad. I cant imagine a time when our animals need us the most - i.e. their last moments on earth. So I think you are awesome for putting your own sadness aside for those moments and being there for your friend, right up until the very end!

I agree! When I hear someone say they just couldn't go in the room with their 'beloved pet' because it was too sad, I can't understand their putting their comfort over the needs of their pet. I've seen several pets through euthanasia, and though it hurts like hell, I keep talking to them, telling them what wonderful kitties they are and talking about the good times we had together, petting them. I think it makes it easier for them (oh, shit, I'm going to cry, now, because I'm remembering my last moments with Frisco, the cat love of my life---shh, don't tell the other cats! )

I agree! When I hear someone say they just couldn't go in the room with their 'beloved pet' because it was too sad, I can't understand their putting their comfort over the needs of their pet. I've seen several pets through euthanasia, and though it hurts like hell, I keep talking to them, telling them what wonderful kitties they are and talking about the good times we had together, petting them. I think it makes it easier for them (oh, shit, I'm going to cry, now, because I'm remembering my last moments with Frisco, the cat love of my life---shh, don't tell the other cats! )

Hi Nicole-

So sorry about Cornholio (funny name, btw). Looks like such a fun lil' guy, especially in the Walter Payton jersey.

Love the tat too! Beautiful!

We (me and Yogita Chiquita) just put our husky Indy down on Monday. It's hard to make that decision for them, but it was time - she wasn't the same dog anymore mentally, and physically she was a mess. We stayed with her until the end too - it's not for everyone, but staring into her mommy's eyes as she drifted off to sleep was the sweetest last memory we could possibly give her.

Hope your memories of Cornholio are as sweet!

All the best,

Finn

Finn, I am sorry to hear about Indy. It is so hard when they get older and you just want to make the best choice for them... I am glad that you were there with her when she went. I wouldn't have had it any other way with Cornholio (who was sedated and sleeping first due to being pretty manic). I hope you are healing okay. Take care.

I have fortunately never had to have to euthanize any of my pets before, but I was with a friend who had to euthanize her dog. It was very sad and I cried for hours afterwards. But it was the best thing for the dog, who was extremely old and sick.

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how much you will miss Cornholio. You'll never forget him and what a wonderful addition he was to your life.

Here is a picture of my husband's tattoo. I just think it's so great that I have to share. The image is from the picture of me kissing Cornholio that I posted in my initial post!

http://www.ilikeitsalty.com/storage/mules/shawncornytattoo.jpg