What the hell am I supposed to do with TVP?

compassionategirl

I add it in with my couscous(rice as well)...if its less than a third of the couscous amount you barely notice it. I also add it to bean soups for protein overkill and sometimes I add it to steamed kale.

I've used TVP in chili, stirfry's, sloppy joe's, soups...

While visiting friends in Sonora, Mexico I could not find tofu, tempeh, seitan, etc anywhere - but there were these huge loaves of TVP that were common. Never seen those here in the US - or during my visits to Canada either... Soymilk and smaller size chunks of TVP were also very common.

Reconstitute it (it's dry, right? you don't even need to keep it in your fridge if it is) and use it in recipes that traditionally use ground beef, like tacos, chili, sloppy joes, 'meat' loaf. Because TVP doesn't have much flavor on its own (unless it's a 'flavored" tvp), you'll have to add more seasoning than you normally would, in fact, reconstituting the TVP in some hot liquid that contains flavors (like tamari, tomato juice, etc.) will give it more flavor.

I make a tasty burrito filling with it.

First, reconstitute the TVP. Pour 3/4 cup boiling water over 1 cup TVP. Stir well. Let sit for 5 minutes.

In a pan, saute a small chopped onion in oil. When tender, add the TVP & assorted south of the border spices -- chile powder, cumin, etc. Add a couple of cans of Rotel (green chiles & tomates) or if you don't have Rotel in your area add a can of tomatoes (with liquid) & a small can of green chiles. Simmer until liquid is cooked off. Makes a good filling for burritos or as the bottom layer of a tostada. Also makes a great layer in a Mexican casserole.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, rehydrated it - about 1:1 or 1:(a bit less than 1) TVP:Liquid ratio...then add it to chili (the ground) or stews (the chunky.)

As an aside, I made a goulash/stew thing once with the chunks. My dad's response: "Sweetie, this is really good. Is that veal?"

• 2 months later...